The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

09/29 - 10/01 - Stuart Island, San Juan Islands WA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, Mike and Bill both at the gathering. Pretty cool, and to all who were there, Sorry I missed this one. AND especially the "crossing" with Bill. That would have been a treat to have company on the way across. I don't know how many times I have crossed, but only 4 times with one or more boats along.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossing the Strait in the 16 was certainly something to give me pause, but a constant eye on the weather and the calmer days of fall made it mostly a non-event. Would have been nice to have somebody joining me, but after almost three years without a cruise - it just had to happen. I'd have bailed if it looked sketchy, but I was determined not to let a little discomfort dissuade me.

The way over out of Port Angeles Harbor was glass, and once in the San Juans it was cake the entire trip. However, the return leg Monday AM called for 10-15 east winds with wind waves 1-3' - about the max I find comfortable in the 16.

I poked my head out of Cattle Pass, and the report was pretty accurate - but two things worked in my favor to make the trip more comfortable. Ebb tide and east wind kept the waves going with me, and I chose an extended route home taking a line from Cattle Pass to Freshwater Bay. The lovely Dana met me just down from the house w/truck and trailer.

Yes, more time on the Strait - almost 40 miles. However, bailing to Victoria was possible for most of that if need be, and the more westerly angle of that route made it far more comfortable than the typical beam seas you get heading due south across the Strait. Never dropped below 13-14 knots, usually closer to 18.

Still...yeah. I'm looking forward to trips north in the bigger boat from now on. It takes a special kind of crazy to cruise on a 16 - a crazy I admire, but my bones are just too dang old. I need a real bed and heat. I need to crouch less, without the constant digging and crawling into that tiny v-berth. And yes...I need somewhere a tad more roomy to pee in the middle of the night.

Go ahead, call me a wimp - I'll not deny it.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hardly believe anybody crossing Juan de Fuca in a 16 "anything" to be a wimp. Nice trip report and good planning. Most times I get whatever on the beam due to my need for a straight south shot out of Cattle Pass. 1-3 would be a go, depending on the time, wind and tides. It is interesting that many times, on that 23 miles from Sequim Bay entrance to Cattle Pass you can experience everything from flat calm to 3-4 footers with whitecaps included. Most trips are just an easy ride, some get into being a real boat ride, and will keep the skipper awake.

The great part, is that our boats can handle most any water out there, and using some good common sense, it is a pleasure to be there.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Go ahead, call me a wimp - I'll not deny it.

I'd call it sensible rather than wimpy!

Bill,

Kathy and I were tied up directly across the dock from you at Stuart. I can't tell you how many times I admired your willingness to live in that cramped space with nothing but a "rain-fly" type tarp between you and the sometimes rather wet elements outside. I was particularly amazed when you had to remove all your fuel tanks, placing them on the dock, just to make room for sleeping.

As a decades-long back packer before coming to the comforts of a CD25, I know first-hand what a pain it is to sleep/move/pee and adjust gear in a confined space with nasty elements outside. I congratulate you for even considering doing it, much less actually doing it......especially at our rapidly advancing ages Wink .

I was inspired by you!
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd call it sensible rather than wimpy!

I'd use "prudent".

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catman paved the way way with boat camping in a 16 Angler, and now DaNag! We gave it a try...here is our little Crabby-Lou set up for over-nighting, with the Little Buddy Heater, the Porta-Potty and the inflatable airbed. And we had a full camperback canvas. After one overnight cruise, she was not convinced! Guess I will put the pedestal seats back in!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have one crummy pic of my sleeping arrangement...and that's fine, I'm content to forget about it. Mr. Green

My setup was tossed together without much time, so I worked with what I had or could get from Amazon in two days.

Drop canvas had some holes, so I patched them with Gorilla tape. It mostly worked. A few drips here and there, but an extra blanket tossed on top of the sleeping bag soaked up the small amount of moisture each night.

And yes, removing three fuel tanks and the monster cooler was mandatory at all stops. I picked up a cot from Amazon that just barely fit in a completely empty cockpit...legs were within 1" of the raised section at the helm. I knew the chance of leaks was there, so I had to get up off the ground - wasn't gonna simply toss down a pad and have it act like a giant sponge.

While I'm sure there are better ways of doing it, one thing is certain when cruising on a 16 - every task requires multiple associated tasks given the lack of space. There's room for a fair amount of stuff up front...but good luck getting at the stuff on the bottom or farther up front.

Never say never, but me thinks Taco will have but one duty from now on. What he does best - fish.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can remember many a time in the sierra's and far more times in the swamp known as North Carolina and the desert of southern California when a rolled up jacket and a poncho liner was a good bed. Now that 16 looks like a torture chamber at my advance age.
Arend

City/Region: Chilliwack,
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: TBA
Photos: Arend (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just our word of thanks to Fred and Robin, and all other C-brats we met at Stuart Island.
The Hospitality, friendly atmosphere, coffee, food, Campfires and new friends,....... what a great time Christina and I had connecting with you all! And we enjoyed seeing all your boats too.
We aim to be back next year.

After leaving on Sunday we peaked at Roche harbor, and then headed to Deer Harbor for yet a few more sunny hours with more great company on the Dock. That same evening we pulled out in Bellingham and headed back to Canada.
Great Times!...Arend
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fred and Robbin for organizing this event! As a new-comer to the C-Brats it was neat to get a taste of what some of some of those early CBGTs might have been like, being held at a marine park instead of a marina, and with several of the original Brats in attendance. Equally fun was meeting other newer members, and it was a good turnout with 12 boats!

And the impromptu after-party party at Deer Harbor Sunday night was a great idea, a nice place to plug-in the electric heater and dry out from all that rain Friday night Saturday!

-Mike

Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbin and I had a great time hosting this event. I was a little worried about space at the dock but it worked out so well we had the dock full of C-Dory's.
We had to work around the showers but that worked out well. Great effort on the potluck by everyone. As always there was plenty for all.
We are willing to continue this event. I just have one question? Would moving it to Deer Harbor were everyone would get a slip make more sense.

Fred
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the park setting at that time of year. Stuart affords us a commercial-free atmosphere that offers beachcombing, a long walk to the lighthouse or short walks around Prevost and Reid, a generous dock with tables and an incomparable campfire setting.

What we might do is include Deer Harbor at another time of year before the season really heats up, like March or April.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deer Harbor is our favorite marina up there and will most likely always be the one we choose for the stops in between island hopping for showers, ice and maybe an ice cream cone or nine.

That said, I think the state park islands are by far the best choice for an event destination. I pretty much agree with all that Catman just said.

I think most everyone who was there will agree that Stuart Island was the best place to be this fall! Thanks again to everyone for that!

Deer Harbor, in the early or late off season, would be an ideal place to stage a bunch of us for a longer get together as a base for day cruises where folks could come and go in groups or alone, much like a few of us did after leaving Stuart Sunday. But for a full out party it will be hard to beat Fred and Robbin's campfire.

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would moving it to Deer Harbor were everyone would get a slip make more sense

Risking the criticism of "Sandy, tell us how you really feel."........

ABSOLUTELY NOT

I love, love, love the non-marina feel of this Stuart Gathering. It seems to fit the time of year and take maximum advantage of our gorgeous Northwest. You did good organizing this gathering, Fred.....don't mess with it Wink Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: