The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wallas stove wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slipknot

City/Region: Scappoose
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Wallas stove wiring Reply with quote

When the Wallas was installed on my 25, it was wired directly to the start battery with a in-line fuse. I understand it needs full voltage directly off the batt, but seems to me it should come off of the house batt.

Any reason why it should stay on the start batt? I like heat, but not at the expense of a low cranking battery! Thanks.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im no wallas expert, but I would guess its because the unit requires a fully charged battery to heat the glow plugs when first starting up. I think I remember reading 12.6 or 13 amp minimum.

All these boats were rigged differently depending on which dealer they came from. Ours had two batteries with a 1 - 2 - both switch.

I can attest how much of a bummer it was when I ran my batteries down too low with my cabin lights and radio before going to sleep, and when was at 4 am, the wallas wouldn't start. I'd put too much faith in the old unit, and should have brought an extra sleeping bag instead.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Wallas has never not started when I needed it. It runs, started on High and shut down on high every time. It is wired directly to a start battery. I have 2 Batteries, and each one is a start for the OB on that side of the boat. I do have a 1-2-Both-Off switch, but the wallas is hardwired with a fuse to the stbc battery, the #1, on the stbd side.

And yes, they do like a fully charged, steady current. I run mine with either the OBs on or off, but not through a transition from on to off or the other way.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Slipknot

City/Region: Scappoose
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2016
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that makes sense. I'll just have to watch my start battery voltage and not let it get too low.

I can always fire up the kicker and let it charge the battery for 5-10 minutes. The Suzuki 9.9 fuel injected will start with the recoil starter even if the battery is low (or so they say).
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not going to get a lot of current into a battery in a few minutes of running. The "alternator" puts out 12 amps--so an hour would give your 12 amps (probably a little less because of power for the ignition of the outboard). A voltage of 12.2 is about 50% discharged. For the average Group 24 battery which is 60 amp hour capacity, it would take about 3 hours to bring the battery up to full charge.

We do run our Wallas off the house battery, but monitor all of our batteries by voltage, and the house by SOC and amps in and out. We do have several ways to charge the batteries, including running the main engine, or our Honda EU 1000 running a 30 amp charger.

Quote:
I think I remember reading 12.6 or 13 amp minimum.
Do you mean that the Wallas draws 12.6 to 13 amps? or are referring to recommended battery voltage?

The Wallas manual states it requires 8 amps for 4 minutes for the start up glow plug. They recommend minimum voltage of 12.6 volts.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think I remember reading 12.6 or 13 amp minimum.
Do you mean that the Wallas draws 12.6 to 13 amps? or are referring to recommended battery voltage?

The Wallas manual states it requires 8 amps for 4 minutes for the start up glow plug. They recommend minimum voltage of 12.6 volts.[/quote]

Thanks Bob, that's what I meant but didn't have the knowledge to convey it properly. I mostly had a good experience with our Wallace but the voltage was an issue we had occasionally.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Wallas used to start with no problems. Maybe because the batteries were new. Now after 12 years it still starts every time, but only if I start the stb motor, and let it idle while I start the Wallas. Starting the Wallas without starting the motor first, results in a flashing red light on the Wallas, and NO start. Even if the battery monitor say's the charge is 12.6 V the Wallas doesn't start if the motor is not running.

I don't know why? I just start the motor first and all is well.

We used the Wallas at least twice each day on our recent 8 weeks on board. Only one NO start. I didn't start the motor first. The only problem comes when we are boater homing on the land and can't run the boat motor. Then we just use the Honda 2000i to make coffee, and the microwave to cook.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
Our Wallas used to start with no problems. Maybe because the batteries were new. Now after 12 years it still starts every time, but only if I start the stb motor, and let it idle while I start the Wallas.

My guess is that it may have to do with the condition of the glow plug heating element to start the fire. It is possible if you clean the elements, and the pot burners--it might be easier to start.

Also could be some minor corrosion along the way (always happens) may decrease the voltage at the stove.

We use a Honda 1000 to run an induction burner on up to Medium high--which is plenty to heat water and most foods as one of our alternates.
Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the reason to wire the Wallas directly(fused) to any battery was to prevent an interruption of the shut-down(cool-down) sequence.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

My guess is that it may have to do with the condition of the glow plug heating element to start the fire. It is possible if you clean the elements, and the pot burners--it might be easier to start.

Also could be some minor corrosion along the way (always happens) may decrease the voltage at the stove.

We use a Honda 1000 to run an induction burner on up to Medium high--which is plenty to heat water and most foods as one of our alternates.

Bob, Thanks for the ideas. Now that we are home and I have the time, I'll look into the Wallas. Maybe after 12 years of faithful service, I should just send the Wallas in, and have it looked at by the pro's.

I have thought about getting an "Induction Stove top", maybe now's the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: