The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

I need new tires

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stantheman

City/Region: Cluj
State or Province: Other
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: I need new tires Reply with quote

I know this isn't the best place to ask about this, but I figured why not, we all drive cars Razz
I've bought myself a 2010 BMW X6. I'm really happy with it, it pretty much has no issues, except that I need to re-paint it, since I want another color. Another thing is that I need new tires on it, as the ones I have are pretty worn out. I have no idea what tires to get, so I searched on Google, and I found this website: Holmes Tire. Is it any good? I don't want to waste my money and then regret it. I need winter tires, I'll change them as soon as March or April, after winter ends. I could go up to $700-$800, but I wouldn't mind spending less. Thanks!
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Winter Tires Reply with quote

I'm in Alberta, Canada and I use Michelin ice-X tires on my Escape. They are hands down the best winter tires that I have ever used in 40 years on the road. My neighbour is a paramedic all of the ambulances in Alberta are now fitted with Bridgestone Blizzacks which are right up there with the Michelins as far as the ratings for winter tires go. I'm not sure if these tires are available south of the border, but certainly would be worth looking into. If there is one thing that we Canucks know something about, that is winter and winter driving.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, consider running the Michelin Ice X year round. I believe they are the only studless snow tire with a 40k tread warranty, the sticky tread material comprises 100% of the usable tread.
Been using studless for over 20 years here in Alaska, and currently run the Ice X on two cars.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: try a Scandinavian tire Reply with quote

Hi,
Here is a test report that confirms what I have seen before, folks that live in the far north might know best what kind of winter tire to run.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/winter-tire-test-six-top-brands-tested-compared-feature-cold-war-page-2

If you look online, these tires can be had at a very fair price. Buy a second set of rims (five not four!!) and protect them from sun when off the vehicle. Change early in late winter as all ice tires dies a quick death on bare pavement.

Bob
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: winter tires Reply with quote

I have been using Michlein X-ICE tires on our car for over 6 yrs. and leave them on year around. Still have good tread.
They stick on ice better than studs IMHO.
Excellent product.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: winter tires Reply with quote

Jack in Alaska wrote:
I have been using Michlein X-ICE tires on our car for over 6 yrs. and leave them on year around. Still have good tread.
They stick on ice better than studs IMHO.
Excellent product.

Jack, Interesting that you think the ICE-X are better than studs. I have a 30 plus years of running studded tires, eastern WA, OR and UT, in plenty of snow and ice, and have never found anything to match. True, I have not needed winter tires in over 10 years so the new stud free winter tires are a new item for me. Might be a consideration, but I want more than 40K miles out of a set of tires, closer to 80 is good.

And to the Original Poster, Where is Cluj?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As of 1 September 2008, Michelin is again the world's largest tire manufacturer after spending two years as number two behind Bridgestone.[16] Michelin produces tires in France, Poland, Spain, Germany, the USA, the UK, Canada, Brazil, Thailand, Japan, Italy and several other countries. On 15 January 2010, Michelin[17] announced the closing of its Ota, Japan plant, which employs 380 workers and makes the Michelin X-Ice tire. Production of the X-Ice will be moved to Europe, North America, and elsewhere in Asia.[18]

Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Alaska for 10 years, in that time I ran many different brands including those listed above. The best tires bar none for winter driving are the nokian hakapeliitas. Blizzaks and michelins are fine but the Nokians are a class above in my opinion. The only thing is they are very soft so make sure as soon as winter is over to swap them out. For a more budget friendly option the Hankook winter tire performs remarkably well for much less money. (at least at the time they were significantly cheaper)

I agree with the right tire studiess do better than studded. Snow traction has nothing to do with studs, studs aid tires with poorer ice performance function on ice.

For reference I drove 40 miles to and from work for 10 years on mostly icy highways back then.

My 2 cents
H

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: