View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Tennessee River Cruise and Hurricanes Reply with quote

I am starting this new thread for some of us who were going to attend the Mississippi River gathering, and because of Hurricane Irma have decided to wait until we know that our homes are reasonably safe from Hurricane Irma or those who went to the gathering and want to cruise the Tennessee River.

The reason this storm concerns me, is the depth of its low (dropped 10millibars in 3 hours today), the size of the storm--far wider spread than the average, and the velocity of its winds--gusts in the high category 5 (some talk of devising a cat. 6!)

The steering currents have been mostly influenced by what is termed the "Bermuda High" This is the major high which controls the Atlantic Weather (also termed the "Azores high", "North Atlantic (Subtropical) High/Anticyclone high" or the "Bermuda-Azores High"), Much like the Pacific high, which often controls the West Coast of the US weather has a clockwise rotation pattern. The high has East flowing winds above the high, and West flowing winds below the high (the Trades). In the case of Irma, the Bermuda High has pushed the storm down and to the west--preventing a northward turn. There were several high ridges and troughs which were supposed to influence the storm, and allow it to take a more northernly course. The more the Northward trend is delayed, the more likely this hurricane is to go into the Gulf of Mexico.

Current models this site has a good selection of graphs and models in one place. Shows a possibility of being in the Tennessee Valley in about 7 to 9 days. By that time the wind should be down to manageable levels, and probably some rain events. We have to be back in Pensacola on Sept 24. Right now, I am considering leaving here (assuming we did not get a direct hit, or there is severe storm damage on Monday, the 11th and launching on the 12th at Pickwick State Park, just above Pickwick dam. But there are other options which might be better such as launching somewhere near Decatur AL, which is just off I 65. Jay's Landing has a marina, RV park and boat ramp--looks as if it might be an area for a week or so parking. (Advertised as a "hurricane refuge!). I can call and see about leaving trucks and trailers there) This is on Wheeler Lake--and we can go East or West from there--should be some good anchorages and marinas, with small towns to visit. .

If you are interested, give a shout!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicki and I are interested but see South Carolina just declared emergency status, so pretty much in wait-and-see mode.

On a side note, I went down to the marina yesterday to move my Tomcat to the boat launch and found the starboard outboard all the way up. I suspect the manual trim/tilt control switch on the Honda 150 may be the culprit, but have yet to troubleshoot. Have you encountered this on an outboard?

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone was going to "borrow" the lower unit and got interrupted.

In So. FL lower units tend walk off by themselves on a regular basis.
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did not consider that, albeit the boat is on a lift in my slip
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have never seen this, but we turn off all circuits to the engine when leaving the boat. A short could cause this problem--but I think it unlikely...Also unlikely that anyone tried to steal the lower unit of a Honda 150..but you never know.

Yes, our prayers are with you all. The track has definitely shifted to the East. Still a lot of changes can occur--and it possibly could go out to sea. That would be the best outcome. Some really bad images coming in from the Caribbean.

We are still up in the air--both the way we feel, and the possibility of adverse conditions on the river...We probably won't decide until Monday. Maybe a day later depending on what the storm does...It may impact water flow on the River if it dumps a lot into the watershed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: