View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ that is the unit I have - I thought it was 5" Smile
"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
So after much research and then second guessing myself.....I ended up buying a new Nexus 7 (2013) model. It is WiFi only but has the internal GPS so it should work great for the Navionics app and others.

A lot of good advice here, and quite a bit from last year, but since we are cruising the Great Loop, and using our iPad almost exclusively for navigation (see below), I will add my $0.02 worth.

IF you in fact bought a WiFi only tablet, iPad or Android, it almost certainly does NOT have an internal GPS chip in it. Now, IF a Nexus 7 has a GPS one for some bizarre reason, it is the only one. The GPS chip is part of the package for cell-enabled tablets. On my iPad and iPhone, there is a setting for Location Services (apps or functions that use the GPS chip) for assisting in locating cell towers. You probably have found one way or another by now. Do the navigation apps work with your Nexus 7 out on the water?

As far as apps go, we have Navionics and Garmin Blue Chart Mobile on our iPad. Navionics does not, and never will, have Active Captain support. Don't know the back story, but Jeffrey Siegel, the founder of Active Captain, which he just sold to Garmin, had some kind of animosity for Navionics. So, though while Navionics has far superior cartography to GBCM, the Active Captain support in GBCM makes it far more useful than Navionics. It is the one we run at the helm and consult every morning and night as we decide where we are going and where we want to stay at night, whether in a marina or anchorage. Honestly, we would not leave port now without our iPad running GBCM with Active Captain.

On the charging front, we were using a dime store USB car charger, and the iPad battery kept going down, down, down, even while it was plugged in. So we bit the bullet and bought two Anker Quick Charge 3.0 39W Dual USB Car Chargers and three Anker PowerLine+ Lightning Cable (6ft) Durable and Fast Charging Cable [Double Braided Nylon]. Charging worries are now a thing of the past. Pricey but worth it if you depend on an iPad to run all day.

Now, I said we "almost exclusively" navigate with the iPad, but since it does not have a depth sounder, we also use the Raymarine C-80 Classic, for which we have no CF cards for the Loop. This give us depth and also has the cumulative trip odometer, which just turned 3,000 miles on our Loop yesterday. We also have a Toshiba laptop running Coastal Explorer which is connected to an AIS receiver. We don't even boot this up most days because I cheaped out on the monitor, which is not really daylight viewable - a daylight viewable monitor costs a ton. So we are doing just fine with the iPad and the Raymarine C-80.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, I've been using the Nexus 7 with Navionics since 2015 when I originally posted this thread. It has an internal GPS and works great. Please see the compatibility page below.

As of recent I've bought a Galaxy Tab A for my new boat.

https://www.navionics.com/usa/support/compatibility-guides/

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about other brands, but all Samsung Galaxy wifi-only tablets have GPS.

I use Navionics, as well as OpenCPN on my Galaxy Tab, both work great.

Also, many aftermarket USB charger ports don't put out enough amps to charge your smartphone or tablet. Blue Sea now makes one that does. Part number 1045, charges at 4.5 amps.

jd
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A majority of (but not all) Android tablets have built in GPS. On those tablets it is not usually tied to the cellular capability. However, if you need GPS capability it is best to verify it before purchasing a particular tablet.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
Pat, I've been using the Nexus 7 with Navionics since 2015 when I originally posted this thread. It has an internal GPS and works great. Please see the compatibility page below.

As of recent I've bought a Galaxy Tab A for my new boat.

https://www.navionics.com/usa/support/compatibility-guides/

Interesting! I guess I stand corrected then on the GPS in a WiFi only Android tablet! i have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 but did not bring it with me!
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister-in-law gave me an Galaxy 10 over a year ago because she had two (she got one from her employer as a Christmas gift when she already had one). I've yet to figure out a use for it. I've got a Lowrance HD 5 with Navionics. I've got a camera. I keep my logbook longhand (old school). I've yet to figure out a use for it at home or on board. No idea if it has GPS (like my Lowrance and Standard Horizon already have).

Is there anything useful to do with this on the boat? I've thought about putting all my documentation, owner's manual, etc. on a thumb drive, but it doesn't have a USB port.

Maybe I'll have to start playing video games in a coffee shop?

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ssobol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a couple of tablets on the boat over the years. I can use it as a backup chartplotter and route planner (on or off the boat). Since my chartplotter is older and doesn't support Active Captain, an app on the tablet does.

I put all the manuals for my equipment on it. It is much handier than a stack of books (although there is the eggs all in one basket thing if something goes wrong with it). You can either download the manuals directly to the tablet from the manufacturers website or just email the ones you have to yourself and use the tablet email functions to get and save them.

The tablet is also good for all the usual tablety things: email, web access, reading, games, videos. Depending on your level of addiction to electronic connection to the world, a tablet can be a decent substitute to carrying laptop, at least for shorter trips.

We have a larger tablet which we preload with movies and prerecorded TV programs (via Tivo) to watch in the evenings or during weather layovers. You can also download stuff from Amazon video to watch offline (not sure about NetFlix and the others). Some marinas have enough bandwidth in their wifi that you can watch streaming video directly. A bluetooth speaker box gives decent sound. The tablet can also connect to the stereo system via bluetooth.

The tablet will have either a micro USB or the older Samsung port on it. In either case you can get an adapter that will let you plug in a standard USB thumb drive.

Maybe your sister-in-law can set it all up for you.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, and have been using it about a year now. It does have a built in GPS and that is one of the functions I really like about it.

It does not connect to to a phone line, but via wifi, I can use it for C-BRATS, Email, and some other things, (Books and music) at times. It is easier to carry around than a lap top.

It is pretty small as tablets go, which is one of the things I have liked about it, but it is big enough. 5 by 7 inch screen, and that works well for use when traveling, (boat or vehicle) with a mapping program, (OsmAnd). I have used that for tracking from Sequim WA all the way to Galveston, and not a glitch. I have used it on the water, and though not for navigation it does make finding the "big picture" really nice. I am considering a RAM mount but not sure which one will fit my uses best yet.

Still no Navionics on it yet. I am pretty happy with my onboard RayMarine C-120 and a smaller Garmin GPS with marine and streets both available. It works to get me where I want to and I'm OK with that.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last update on this topic was in August 2017. Since then, has anyone's thinking changed regarding:

—Best tablet navigation software for an Inside Passage trip. Navionics? Some kind of Garmin app (Blue Chart Mobile appears to have been discontinued)? Rose Point Coastal Navigator?

—Best tablet, android or I-pad? (I guess that depends in part on the software.)

—Best tablet mount, and mount location?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Andy Ryan

ssobol

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get one with an IPS screen. These have the best viewing angles (for LCD).
Pandion

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you used the Rose Point Coastal Navigator software? Not available on I-pad, so I'd have to go with an Android. Cool-looking product and, unlike Navionics, it's Active Captain-compatible.
Pandion

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a lengthy discussion of Coastal Explorer here, in 2016. Wondering if opinions have changed since then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: