The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hydraulic Steering with Twin Hondas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic Steering with Twin Hondas Reply with quote

I have read many messages on this or similar topics but most of them are more than 5 years old so the information may not be as current as I would like.

My boat came with very stiff manual steering which has now quit working and I want to get it fixed in a timely manner, but the local mechanics are recommending that I just replace the cable at a cost of $840 CAD including taxes.

I really want hydraulic steering with the possibility of adding an automatic pilot at some time in the future.

They have a Baystar system in stock, but they don't think it will hook up to my twin Honda motors and we don't have a Honda mechanic in town.

Can somebody explain to me how to hook up Hydraulic Steering (possibly Baystar) to twin Honda motors.

I'm looking for detailed basic information so I can take the instructions to the mechanic and get my steering upgraded instead of just repaired.

I'm really anxious to get back on the water, but I don't want to pay for an expensive repair when I can pay a little extra and get what I want.

Thank you so much.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.
Brewkid

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SCALLYWAG
Photos: Scallywag
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gypsy,

I'm running the Seastar system with my twin Honda 50's. Here's the links that include Bay and Sea star.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-new/outboard-new/
http://www.seastarsolutions.com/support-2/installation-manuals-controls-cables/installation-manuals/seastar-installation-manuals/

I have pictures if you need too...Hope this helps.

John
Scallywag
cgypsy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have pictures if you need too...Hope this helps

Pictures would help for sure.

They are OK hooking up the Baystar/Seastar system, but they don't know how to hook up the Honda motors.

Do they need some kind of a special kit or something to link the Honda motors together?

The instructions for the Baystar say "not available for twin motors at this time" but I know lots of people on the site have the Baystar system and twins. The Seastar system is significantly more expensive.

I think he said that there isn't enough room to hook up the hydraulic cylinder to the twin Honda motors.
Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Baystar system does not have the power to reliably operate two motors, according to the factory tech.
Winyah

City/Region: Ashland, WI
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Winyah
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Baystar system for years on my twin Hondas with never a problem. I remember having to temporarily lift the starboard motor to make the connection. Other than that, pretty straight forward.
cgypsy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Tug,

What you're running into here is a the technical issue of working with a corporation and not a technical issue with the physical parts.

When BayStar first came out we started using them on C-Dory 22s both with single and twin engines and with and without autopilots. Receiving the very first BayStar kit resulted in an immediate call to SeaStar steering (Teleflex) to find out why they said we couldn't use the BayStar system on with twins or with an autopilot. Thankfully I had gotten to know the techs in BC pretty well over the years so I felt I could count on a straight answer and I got one.

The situation is that when the BayStar system was developed it was to fill the need for a hydraulic steering system for smaller boats and at a much lower price than their SeaStar system; boats that traditionally (and typically) do not have twins and/or autopilots so Teleflex had no motivation to develop kits for that use. Because they don't supply kits to add a second station or autopilot, and because they don't make a tie-bar for twin engine installations for BayStar steering cylinders, their corporate position is that the BayStar isn't intended for that use. In other words, if you choose to install an autopilot and/or twins they can't tell you how to do it or support it because they don't make kits to support that use (or write instructions for on how to do it).

It is not a physical limitation of the hardware itself, just the lack of support (purposely) by Teleflex. They told me right up front that if I could develop the means to add in an autopilot or how to arrange a tie bar for twins that they had no issues with the steering system being used in that way. In fact, the BayStar helm does come equipped with the third port that the balancing line to the autopilot pump needs (just as it is on the SeaStar system).

If you decide to mount the S1000 steering pump as suggested in the S1000 kit you'll have everything you need for a successful install. If you decide to mount the S1000 steering pump at the transom it will take a Teleflex HF5501 Add-A-Station kit and a bit of wire (to lengthen the wires from the S1000 brain box to the steering pump).

We've been installing BayStar with twins and autopilots for around 10 years now without issues. The early BayStar helms (molded material) did require resealing more often than should have been the case; the new helms are aluminum and hold up much better. We also have to replace seals in the SeaStar helms so they're not immune by any means.

Hope this will help you with your project.

Regards,

Les

It seems that a lot of the 22 foot cruisers with twins use Baystar as long as the combined motor size is less than 150 hp.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gypsy. Shoot the tech support at Seastar Solutions. The teleflex mfg. they respond quickly and can guide you and the mechanic to get all the right parts. I've seen Baystar on twins many times. They need the correct liquid tie bar as far as I know. My boat came with the bigger SeaStar ram unit as I wanted the tilt helm. I have always loved hydraulics and Teleflex knows their stuff.
George
Brewkid

City/Region: Whidbey Is
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SCALLYWAG
Photos: Scallywag
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gypsy,
I added three pic's to my album. Hope they help.

John
Scallywag
rontros

City/Region: Bloomington
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2014
Vessel Name: Aquila
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Motor Control Systems Reply with quote

I replaced my Raymarine SPX-5R Helm Sportdrive Autopilot with a Lowrence system on my 2014 22 Cruiser. The Raymarine had problems sticking and after a couple of onsite Tech visits I decided to replace. The Lowrence Autopilot is fully integrated with my Lowrance HDS 12 and steers my twin Honda 50's nicely with very cool autopilot capabilities.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Auto-Steering/Outboard-Pilot-Hydraulic-Pack-en-us.aspx

Good luck!
cgypsy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Lowrence Autopilot is fully integrated with my Lowrance HDS 12 and steers my twin Honda 50's nicely with very cool autopilot capabilities.

You have no idea how much I want one of those. I assume it will work with my Garmin chartplotter.

My first challenge is to get the steering, but I like the Autopilot suggestion. It is a lower price than I was being quoted.

The dealer wanted to sell me a Garmin Autopilot because I had a Garmin GPS but it was pretty pricey and I think they should all work together anyway.
Big Mac

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Mary Ellen
Photos: Mary Ellen
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Bay star hydraulic steering Reply with quote

Les at EQ Marine installed BayStar on the Mary Ellen several years ago. It has twin 40hp Hondas. We had several discussions before it was installed. Les felt that the BayStar was a perfect fit for our 22' Crusier. It has preformed flawlessly. Very happy with the product. Just my 2 cents worth.
cgypsy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate all your help and input. This is useful information to take to the mechanic. The first mechanic started quoting me huge amounts to get some great system and telling me how complicated it was.

I have a different mechanic that I am hoping will work with me to get the best system for my boat - not necessarily the best system available.

So all you input is very helpful. It makes me sound like I know what I am talking about and I think that is the first step toward getting the work done right.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgypsy wrote:

The dealer wanted to sell me a Garmin Autopilot because I had a Garmin GPS but it was pretty pricey and I think they should all work together anyway.

I would be skeptical if the Lowrance pilot will work well, if at all, with the Garmin GPS. Unfortunately, although they should "speak the same language"==often there are features which will not work. The point being that the Lawrence HDS Gen 2 or Gen3 are used as the pilot controller. Even though this pilot comes with the GPS compass--it still needs the "smartSteer" software.

From the Lawrence web site:
Quote:
featuring Lowrance SmartSteer™ control from your HDS Gen2 or Gen3, will steer to a heading, waypoint or route.

This is based on my conversation with a Lawrence representative, and his point was that the "smart steer" was what controlled the pilot, and at that time was only available for the Gen2 --later it was developed for the Gen3.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandra, I know you are looking for Baystar for your twins, I have Sea Star but i believe they are hooked up the same. I don't have the boat available, but it sounds like you are on the right track with some good help. I would be very careful about mixing brands from plotter/GPS to Auto Pilot brand. As Bob said, there may be features that get lost in the chasm between brand A and brand B.

Best to you in the process.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

cgypsy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat is in the shop waiting to get Hydraulic Steering installed, but I still don't know what to get.

Most peole have BayStar but when I contacted SeaStar this is the response they gave me.

Quote:
We do not Recommend BayStar for twin engines as no hardware exists , For twin Honda 50s we would recommend the SeaStar HC5345-3 and HO6001 tie bar for engine centers from 27-36” inches .

Technical Service Representative

Is there anything that I need to know that would make it possible to install BayStar?

Has anyone installed BayStar recently?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: