The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Transom Drain Plug Safety

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Transom Drain Plug Safety Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've grown up around boats and have been a boat owner for 12 years now. All of the boats I've ever had were equipped with the rubber expanding transom drain plug. I've never really thought twice about them until my recent trip to Tahoe. Upon installing the plug, maybe I overtightened, the threads stripped and the plug was useless. I always carry a spare and used that so it didn't ruin my trip, but it really got me to thinking....

What if the threads had given out on the water?
How many times have boats sunk because of this style plug failure?

I went through some other threads similar to this, but didn't find anybody with the same issue. Thoughts? I'm curious how many brats have changed over to a screw style plug?

I like the T style plugs and do generally hand tighten them pretty tight, maybe I should just fit them "snug" I've installed them hundreds of times, maybe over a thousand without any issues in the past though.
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Transom Drain Plug Safety Reply with quote

CDory23 wrote:
I'm curious how many brats have changed over to a screw style plug?

C-dory's have been built with both style plugs... My 16 had the rubber plug style with brass sleeve, whereas my 22' has a stainless steel threaded plug, that I just tighten lightly with the smallest size crescent wrench.

I've never had any problems with either style, but when it comes to washing out the boat, I kind of prefer the larger opening the rubber plug offers - The tiny little threaded hole in the 22 seems to constantly get plugged up with seaweed and other debris, not a major deal but you do have to "unplug" once or twice on each washdown.

I would imagine each type of plug has it's pros and cons but I've always kept a close eye on both styles and replaced well before any signs of significant deterioration, and also have kept backups on board like you do, mainly in case of losing one.

My bigger worry, on the C-dory, has been how well the drain sleeve was sealed by the installer to prevent water intrusion into the balsa transom/core.

-Mike

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concern about the installation is valid--these are often swaged in place--with ?? sealants. I have preferred to pull them, route out, epoxy bed, and then glue the new brass tube in with epoxy.

My Tom Cat and Caracal both had brass threaded garboard type of plugs.

I feel comfortable with the "T" or "L" handle plugs. I do look at the threads, and nut each time I put them in.

I am sure that a few boats have sunk because they have given way--but I cannot think of one in my experience--I have seen a number from failed thru hulls, seacocks and shaft logs however.

I carry 3 of the plugs aboard--":just in case"-- They can be inserted from the inside if necessary--but I prefer the "T" from the outside.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
homerjack

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a rubber plug start to leak last year and letting in fair amount of water. Turned out to be corroded and worn. Replacement fixed problem. My boat is in water year-round so learned to check plug each time out of water and replace more often. Cheap insurance.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than you ever wanted to know or worry about concerning the transom plug, including the dreaded "innie or outie" question:

{Just put "inny or outy" into the search function.)

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: gators and the plug Reply with quote

I've never had trouble with the transom drain plug, but once when anchored overnight off the St Johns River in Blue Peter Lake, at about midnight when I turned my flashlight on the waters around the boat and saw lots of red glowing alligator eyes looking back at me, I sure hoped that plug wasn't going to fail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep extras in the bilge area on all my boats. they are cheap to buy but priceless if you dont have one.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know that C Dory ever used the rubber plug style. I don't have one on the 16, but I have one on my day sailor. Actually, I have two. Each has it's own lanyard made from SS downrigger line and the little mini Nicro Press type of sleeve. The plug can't get misplaced and the spare is always right there as well. Having a spare "somewhere on board" isn't good enough.

My CD transom plug was the brass type with just a nut on it. I replaced it with the type that is a nut and a tab with a hole in it so that it can be removed or tightened with a nail or screw driver as well as a wrench. I used the hole to put a lanyard on it. I used bright yellow mason's line and I always see it hanging loose and remember (so far) to put it back in before trailering.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: