The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

forward cabin windows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Come Along

City/Region: Penobscot Bay
State or Province: ME
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: forward cabin windows Reply with quote

I have never seen a C Dory with windows in the forward cabin. I have always had them in the boats I have owned. Usually, although not always, they were opening and screened. In addition to providing ventilation, they provide light in the daytime. They also provide an easy way to check surroundings at night. (Is that next boat too close?) I suspect there is a reason why forward windows are not used and would be interested as to what it might be. Bob Witherill Come Along
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many have put side port windows in the C Dory 22's. The Tom Cat 255 comes with the windows. Directly forward the cabin house is rounded slightly, so you might have to put a little filling if you wanted an oblong window. A round port might fit reasonably well.

There is plenty of light from the clear or slightly tinted hatch--in fact we have a shade which covers that hatch to keep light out at night. Again the hatch (especially when fitted with a fan) gives far more ventilation than side windows.

If I went to look around, I generally get up and stand up so I can see all around--that is about as easy as sitting up and looking out a window--and better view. Or I poke my body out of the hatch...

But your points are well taken --and if you want 3 ports--go for it.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put small oblong Vetus ports in my berth area. The available area is not very tall and curved so it limits the size of the port you can put there on a 22 and 25.

The ports do allow you to look out a bit but the size limitation limits the usefulness.

Having opening ports does help some with ventilation if no fans are used, but again the size of the opening limits the utility. I can only remember actually having them open only once or twice. Opening the front hatch about 1/2" when the boat is moving provides plenty of ventilation.

Basically the ports are of a small benefit on the 22 and you may find that the added benefit is not worth cost of the ports (kind of pricey) or the effort to install them.

In addition, if you want privacy, now you need to find something to cover them with.
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hate poking additional holes in my boat! Seriously though, with the hatch and cabin windows open, and perhaps even the cabin door, I don't know how much more ventilation a tiny window would provide in a 22.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added two port lights over the winter on my old 25. I would defintely recommend it to others. It helped with ventilation, was great for looking outside when on the anchor and the best reason....it looks cool. Lol.

The installation was a breeze (although I didn't do it!). There is a template and good detailed instructions for installation. Im pretty sure the structure isnt cored in that area. That's a good thing.

The pics are in my BlueWater 25 album

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installation is pretty easy. A hole saw cuts through the trunk pretty easy. A saw and file clean it up well. The trunk is solid fiberglass, about 3/8" thick.

A little caulk and you're done.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We installed a pair of small round units that open and have removable screens. They are on their second season now and we wouldn't be without them. Not a single night of condensation since they were installed and we love the light breeze we feel and visibility at anchor.

Pics here:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2422&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: