The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

10/15 - 10/29 - 2017 Snake/Columbia River C-Dory Cruise
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: 10/15 - 10/29 - 2017 Snake/Columbia River C-Dory Cruise
From 15 Oct 2017 to 29 Oct 2017 (included)

The "Great Lewis & Clark Snake/Columbia River C-Dory Cruise" is being planned for October 2017. I am seeking a few hardy C-Dory skippers who would be interested in joining me on this once-in-a-life-time journey.

The objective would be to cruise our C-Dory’s from Lewiston, Idaho downstream to Astoria, Oregon. It would be a minimum ten-day water journey through a vast and pristine landscape. Traversing this approximately 500 miles of navigable waterway would be a pleasure that few have enjoyed in their own vessels.

Lewis & Clark made this journey in 1805. Now there are a series of eight U.S Army Corps of Engineers locks to navigate through. Four locks are on the navigable Snake River and four locks are on the navigable Columbia River.

We would launch our C-Dory’s at Hells Gate State Park, on the banks of the Snake River (4 miles from Lewiston). It is about 150 miles from Lewiston down the Snake River to the junction of the Columbia River, near the Tri Cities.

Then it is about 350 miles down the Columbia River to Astoria where we will take our boats out at the Mooring Basin. There are 26 ports between the Tri Cities and the Pacific Ocean.

In addition to the minimum 10-day water portion of the trip, a minimum of 5 land travel days would be required (at least from my starting point in Sacramento, California). The truck and boat trailer portion of this trip for me is approximately 2,000 land miles, which includes retrieval of the boat trailer equipment between Lewiston and Astoria.

In total, this adventure would consume a minimum of approximately one-half month of time (15 days), not including advance trip preparation and front-end and back-end boat and truck maintenance. The trip is formally scheduled from Sunday, October 15, 2017 to Sunday, October 29, 2017.

This trip is aggressively scheduled and some contingency probably needs to be built into the back-end due to possible weather delays that could easily lengthen our time on the water. Fifty miles a day on the water may not always be achievable on a consecutive basis. Therefore, plan on a possible Friday, November 3, 2017 trip end date given unforeseen circumstances.

These calendar dates, and the direction of the cruise, were strategically chosen to optimize ease and safety of navigation. In the fall and winter, the easterlies prevail. Wind is a major factor to contend with on the Columbia River.

This trip theoretically allows the wind at our backs and the speed over ground advantage of going down-river. This trip plan also theoretically avoids the problem of having winds blow from the west into the easterly direction flow of the current, creating large chaotic chop.

I do not pretend to have everything figured out. Don’t ask me too many questions as I probably do not know the answers yet. I have a complete set of NOAA charts for the entire trip (“River Cruising Atlas: Columbia/Snake Rivers”, Evergreen Pacific Publishing).

The good news is that we are not crossing the mighty Columbia Bar on this trip as we are stopping somewhat short of the Pacific Ocean. In fact, we hope to complete the entire journey and not experience a “crossing of the bar”.

At this point I am looking for a few select D-Dory folks who will help me plan this trip, and join me on this adventure, at this proposed time schedule. Please contact me off line if you want to discuss with me in more detail this journey.

I am not underestimating the challenges of this trip. It will be a significant undertaking in terms of time, energy, money, equipment preparation, logistics, and determination. Please budget for a possible flight, bus, car rental, or Uber lift from Astoria back to Lewiston. There are also other options for this task that would be determined later.

Please consider the serious nature of this cruise in your response. This trip is probably not for the faint of heart or for the more casual recreational boater. If I cannot find one or more other C-Dory’s to join me on this expedition cruise, I myself may not undertake it alone.

Added to Calendar
Signup list
-TyBoo

Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I planned this trip a couple years ago and made it 1/3 the way when my 89 searay died on the Columbia in really rough waters (4 hours of waves breaching over the back of the boat before a lone boat came by who towed us to safety) There are limited open gas stations and a lot of them are seasonal. I called literally every gas station and have a list of the ones that work. Hood river to Astoria is no problem east of hood river there are limited gas stations, quite a few private or call ahead gas stations. I'll dig up my research from that trip and post it on this page later this weekend. It's a dream trip of mine - I don't know if 10 days off is doable for me though but I will try. The other piece you have to keep in mind is timing of the 10 or so dam crossings. We missed our window on one and had to wait 4 hours for the next Pwc crossing time. I recommend morning boating and afternoons relaxing in safety. Water tends to be much calmer in the early morning. The stretch around hood river can get pretty rough depending on Day/time/weather.

I will see what I can do, there is safety in numbers vs on my lonesome Smile

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go on fuel - might want to call and confirm they are open on the days of your trip. They were open for Memorial Day when I attempted it. Keep in mind some of these are far apart my plan was simply to fuel at each of them with I think the furthest stretch being ~ 30 miles between fuel stations.

Marina Fuel Location
Astoria
St Helens
Port of Washugal
The Fishery Dodson
Mid Columbia Marina Hood River
Port of Hood River Hood River
Port of the Dalles by appointment
Port of Arlington Dock
Umatilla Marina
McNary Yacht Club
Walla Wall Yacht club
Lyons ferry Koa marina
Boyer park
Hells canyon fuel dock
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another resource - you will find very limited info on the snake river. I used navionics to plan a lot of my trip.

http://www.oregon.gov/OSMB/forms-library/Documents/Publications/LowerColumbia(lowres).pdf

Keep us posted on your plans - I may be able to come along. As long as I can leave my trailer in Lewiston I am good as I have a covered dock lined up for my new boat in Portland. I'd likely tag along from Lewiston to Portland.
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PennyBridge

Thank you for the valuable fuel information and for the local knowledge.
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get to the bonneville dam it's pretty much smooth sailing till Astoria where it can get a bit rough at the mouth.

I've done portland to Astoria several times as well as crossed the bar though I probably should not have with my runabout lol.

I think the most variable is the section around hood river. There is a reason this place is world famous for seasoned wind surfers and kite boarders. Lots of wind with a narrowing of the river can dual quite rough seas. Again in my opinion early mornings tend to be best for this section.

350 miles seems high I think portland to Lewiston is 240nm. I'd say under 300 total to Astoria.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Gibson wrote:
PennyBridge

Thank you for the valuable fuel information and for the local knowledge.

In the olden days, I fished between Lewiston & Little Goose dam, above & below Lower Granite.
On the Snake leg of your journey, each Canyon will have its own wind direction. Had one 30 + mph sustained gust blow straight down, flattening the 3-4 ft. chop in a 1/2 mile circle! Made for some odd directional control ( this was in a 18' Hewes Craft Sea Runner).

Also do not beach your vessel!! The C.O.E. will pull the plug whenever so cal needs more A.C. & leave you sitting on the beach.
Rolling Eyes Mr. Green Mr. Green

Lots of Mule deer & Rattle Snakes!!

Have Fun!! Beer
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wanted to do this trip ever since I got a C-Dory. I will check with the Admiral and talk to Bernie (Vega), who I imagine would also be interested, and will let you know.

Nice to be retired!

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floyd

That would be great if you and Bernie could go.
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consulted with my Admiral and she wants to go. Administrators, where is the sign up sheet?

I've been feeling guilty about not doing that trip since I live so close. Instead I've driven across the country three times to do the Mississippi, Cumberland & Tennessee Rivers. I've been collecting charts and books on the trip for years. I have the Cruising Guide to the Snake & Columbia Rivers, 1 & 2nd editions (20-30 yrs old) and most of the "Fish & Map Co waterproof charts of the route. We live 50 miles up the Clearwater River from the launch site in Lewiston, Id. We sailed our sailboat on the upper Snake out of Lewiston for years. Yes, tell your sudden gust of wind stories, we'll have a competition!

Our kids live in Portland so we do the drive several times a year & will do the drive at least twice before the trip so we can check out identified "unknowns." I'm a Lewis and Clark History nut, so you might be sick of Lewis and Clark by the end of the trip.
I'm going to try to recruit another person to join my wife and I and between the 3 of use we might have one person drive a "sag" wagon to provide shore support. That would make shuttles easier and no one would have to do all the driving.

Chuck

Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck:

That is absolutely fantastic that you are going. I will appreciate all the trip support.

Tonight I go to the Central British Columbia Coast for two weeks of Salmon fishing so I will be out of touch somewhat. I will reconnect with everyone when I return and see who is all onboard and then we can all start communicating about the trip details. I wanted to get the trip plan out to the group before I left so others could have time to think about it an get onboard.

I too have been thinking about this trip for years and I figure if I do not do it now I never will. I want to do this trip before I finally age out and have to sell my C-Dory.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. We will be in the Canadian-Ontario Canals from August 6th until early October, but maybe we can make this cruise. Cross country from Ontario, Canada or New York State to Lewiston, ID in 4 or 5 days.

Wandering Sagebrush, you up for this?

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be interested too. Depends on a few things, but it sounds like a great trip!

jd
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
Interesting. We will be in the Canadian-Ontario Canals from August 6th until early October, but maybe we can make this cruise. Cross country from Ontario, Canada or New York State to Lewiston, ID in 4 or 5 days.

Wandering Sagebrush, you up for this?

Possibly... I'm not sure when we are getting back from Iowa.

Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent & Dixie
I have not seen you guys for awhile. It would be great if you came as Discovery could be the mother ship! We came near your Utah place coming back from skiing this year and we thought of you both.

jd and Sagebrush come on onboard!

More later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: