View previous topic :: View next topic  
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Testing anchors Reply with quote

This guy has his own YouTube channel and he tests anchors, with videos of them in real world applications. I have not scratched the surface of it yet... https://youtu.be/tDV6KzXh5GI
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a Cruisers Forum on Setting Anchors. A sailboat, wherein the You Tube above is from a powerboat. Both give good results and slightly different aspects of anchoring.

One problem is that both tests set in a good sandy bottom; one that I've not encountered too often. I'd like to see how each anchor sets in different bottoms: mud, rocks, seaweed, etc. I've found that I need a different type of anchor for SoCal than for the San Juans: seaweed vs mud. In a simple sand bottom, good anchors give good performance; witness the diversity of anchors at your local marina. However, there are anchors that work better in particular situations. For example, a CQR works great in rocks but will drag in mud. I've found that my Bruce works well in the San Juans, but doesn't penetrate kelp at Santa Cruz Island, where I use a Manson or Danforth.

Also there are different situations that anchors have to deal with. One is a tidal current changing. One doesn't see any of that down south, but there's a lot of currents up north, on the left coast. Also, when the wind blows, my boat sails from side to side and when it reaches the end of one swing, there's a hard pull. Don't see much of that in those tests, either one.

Never the less, a good anchor is a good anchor: don't buy copies.

Boris
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, the reason I prefer tying up to docks or shore. No chance of dragging those! Mr. Green Colby
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like both You Tube videos were by the same guy. He does a comprehensive series of tests with all the various types of anchors we normally use.

If you do have to anchor whilst you cruise, you'll find some of the best places such as Santa Cruz Island and meet a goodly slew of nice people. We've also seen wild life, such as bear cubs, beavers and of course lots of grizzlies. It pays to learn how to anchor and get a good anchor.

Boris
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, odds are you'er right, but the now passed on C-brat, Yellowstone John could tell quite a story with the after effects captured on photos of a terrific thunder storm that created strong & long lasting enough winds to rip the shore supports of a marina dock with boats attached & him aboard one & blow it across Fort Peck Lake in Montana & leave it all jumbled up on the far shore. The photos showed quite a mess & he was fortunate to live through the experience, as it happened in the middle of the night, while he was sleeping aboard.

Personally I love swinging gently on the hook in some remote location with wildlife about & other people not.

I did enjoy watching some of the anchor test videos & wasn't surprised by the results.

Jay

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, I've had a few nice nights hanging on the anchor...in secluded coves. But I've also had a few occasions where it was no fun being up in the middle of the night trying to reset the anchor! Nor do I sleep well unless I know the anchor is SET! (unless stern tied to a fairly soft beach.) Don't think I'd want to be out in winds that strong, even if tied to a dock or shore....
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now we are gently swaying in Liberty Bay on the hook. 90% of the bay is empty after last night's fireworks show. No one is within a 100 yrs of us. Wind is up a tad, so I'll let out more rode.

The guy does test all different anchors, hence my posting. My brother just sold his CQR and installed a Spade.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting but what is important is how the anchors work in the real world--day after day. One thing I object to in this guys' videos are all of the strings on the anchor--probably to keep the camera aligned--but don't work all that well doing that...and may influence the sets.

What is important is technique and as Boris says, having the correct anchor for the sea bed.

I carried 3 major types of anchors on my large cruising boats--a CQR Plow, a Danforth HT and a Fisherman or Luke fluke type of old fashion "yachtsman" anchors. There were several of each, and large sizes.

Cruising today, these would probably be modified to Ronca or Manson, Fortress, and keep the Fisherman. These with appropriate type of size and length of chain and then rope rode. For the large boats the chain was 200 feet, with 400 feet of rope. Secondary anchors were on 50 feet of chain and 300 feet of rode.

C Dory experiment of 10# boss is working very well. I picked up an !! Fortress this spring, to supplement my 7 Fortress--fluke area is key. So far this combination of anchors and 50 feet of chain, with the 8 plait rope rode of 300 feet.

Having enough chain/rode, and the slow set, then full power pull back to be sure it is set...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: