The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Maintenance Lessons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Maintenance Lessons Reply with quote

We spent last week in the San Juans. Because of some negligence in maintenance I thought it would be good to share some lessons learned. Lochsa has been in the shed for two years since our last opportunity to use it on Lake Powell. Life gets busy is my excuse for not keeping up with maintenance. Typically I try to run the '99 Honda BF75 monthly but "life got busy". I ran the motor in preparation for the trip and everything seemed fine. Once we sling launced at Anacortes I realized the cable steering was frozen. Through the help of friends we got the steering freed up to learn the motor would not run at higher RPM's which I could not detect at the pre trip run up. Long story but through some good friends and fortune the carburetors were removed cleaned and tuned and we only lost three days of our trip.

We were able to salvage our vacation but all of the issues could have been avoided with better maintenance. Lastly, on our return to Anacortes, I spun the prop on a new Honda Solas 3 prop with only about 3 hrs. on it. Anyone else had problems with Honda props?

I did spend quite a bit of time with the mechanic questioning the need to repower with about 1,500 hrs. on our motor, best repower options from a marine mechanics perspective and best maintenance practices.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found in resent years that no one wants to fix anything. Repower and replace seem to be the order of the day. If the psi on the cylinders is ok I see NO reason to repower a motor that works. All your problems were not wore out parts but neglected parts. Gas left in carbs gum up. Unused cables rust or gum up as the grease drys. Prop rubbers spin if they become dry out and hard from lack of use. I would run a comprission test and if that is ok I would just maintain what you have. And for gods sake change the water pump impeller before your next use.
island andy

City/Region: rochester hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to hear that you were able to salvage most of your trip.
In addition to tending to maintaining your motor, you might consider replacing your push-pull cable. First, it is very likely to seize up again. Second, since seizing usually means rust, and rust means weakening of the cable, the cable can fail. As you probably know, if it fails at speed, the motor immediately cranks hard to one side with potentially disastrous consequences.
I run a Solas prop on an Etec and have had no problems, but that is a very limited sample of one!
andy

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinning the hub on a "new" prop, suggests that it was not properly assembled--they are glue/press fit in. I would try and get it repaired at no cost--or replaced.

If I am not using the motors more than a couple of weeks, I drain the carbs--only takes a couple of minutes.

Agree with Tom, about repower--and the impeller. Once that steering cable has corroded enough to freeze up-it is likely to do it again. There used to be zerk fittings to force lube the cables--but no longer. Replacement is the best way to go--and often it is just as easy to replace the whole system.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better yet, replace the cable steering with hydraulic.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that you said the prop was NEW, sorry missed that. I have used that same prop for years and have nothing but good luck with it. Might have been a bad item or on the shelf for a long time??

Agree with others that IF you replace the steering cable you should go with hydraulic. But does it need replaced? If its rust then yes, but it could have been dried and harden grease from lack of use.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I spun the prop on a Honda prop. Turns out that they have a rubber insert to keep the prop from damaging the lower case in case the prop strikes something. However, I spun the prop by giving the engine too much throttle when I was starting. Had a prop guy replace the insert and no more trouble.

Not a clue if the prop was old or installed wrong. It was the one I got with the boat and it became the back up prop. Used it after I spun the prop on my 4-blade prop. That was a few years ago and I've been careful to open the throttle somewhat slowly. By the way I have CCW rotating engine, though I can't see how that made any difference.

So fix the prop and enjoy it.

Boris
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. This particular mechanic confirmed the practice of using non-ethanol whenever possible, running the carbs out of fuel, then draining the carbs. He also suggested running at least monthly in storage with non-ethanol with a two cycle marine oil mix to "fog" the carbs.

What is a good hydraulic steering source and kit match for a 22' CDory?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennharriet wrote:
to "fog" the carbs.

What is a good hydraulic steering source and kit match for a 22' CDory?

Sea Star--spend the extra over the slightly cheaper "Bay Star".

Good discussion Here

I question "fogging" the carbs. Generally one fogs the engine cylinders to prevent corrosion. It depends on how long and how long before the boat is run. The carburetors don't seem to corrode. The problem is gas evaporation, and a sticky residue remaining. This causes plugged jets and stuck float valves. IF I want to fog the engine, I spray fogging oil in when shutting it down--usually if the time interval is going to be 6 months or more.

Running every month would seem to be a bit counter productive. Too much oil, can foul the spark plugs. [url][/url]
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Techron fuel additive, the most concentrated version you can find. My Hondas love it. Nothing else has proven as effective at cleaning the low speed circuits in their carbs and yes, I drain them.
homerjack

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second the switch to hydraulic steering. One of easiest and best improvements to CD-22. I went through two seized cables first. And getting a seized cable out can be a huge PITA.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Bob on the fogging oil. That is for the cylinder walls not the carbs. Drain the fuel and the fuel cant go bad , can it? In fact its is really sad that the mechanic suggested that you fog the motor to protect the carbs from gas going bad. ( if that is what he did) It shows a lack of understanding of how a engine and carbs work. Not surprising as I think most mechanics today are part re-placer's and not fixers. I am not a big believer in the evils of ethanol. Oh I don't like the stuff but I think it gets blamed for a lot of poor maintenance and sells a lot of needless additives. My hate for it stems more for the fact that its a lie sold on another lie and is not needed by anyone other then corn farmers and their lobby. Really just a big waste of time and resources.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: