The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Help Understanding the Battery Monitor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msgchef

City/Region: Washington
State or Province: NC
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Help Understanding the Battery Monitor Reply with quote

Hi
Apologize ahead of time for the length. Electrical stuff is still a mystery to me.

Discovered on a shakedown cruise that my house batteries were not charging.
The setup is this: Two house batteries in parallel and a separate starter battery. Bluesea Switch and ACR. The ACR remained a mystery to me until I researched it.
Only one leg of the ACR post was registering the 12.8 V from the Battery 2. I determined that was the SB. Each lead to the ACR has its own inline Fuse. The one from the HB, Battery 1 was a large 30A. It was blown. I replaced it. Back to charging ok. or so I thought. This whole process and the cruise was our first that really operated and monitored the battery charge. Out today for a day cruise, battery charging on our trip out. Gassed up, power off, and on the second leg, we observed that we were not charging. The battery monitor showed discharging. Checked the 30a fuse, blown. I happened to check the other leg fuse and it was to my surprise a 40a fuse. Being well prepared I had both and decided to put in the 40a so they matched. Charging again. However and this is one part of the question is that as we motored along, the monitor was reading 13.1V and a fluctuating reading depending on rpm's of 14a to 33 amps. I thought the monitor only showed amps being utilized by house electrical. Usually I see 4-5 amp used when the fridge is on and other electrical things. So is that an expected reading? and if so, that would explain the 30 fuse being blown but this has only happened after 2 years of ownership. As soon as the charger reflected 100% charge the amps used returned to what I recognized as a normal state. So as you can see I guess I really do not understand what this monitor is telling me. I usually just checked when plugged into shore power to insure a charging state and the amp reading never ever exceeded what I might have expected to be turned on at the time.
Thank you as always for the upcoming lessons and explanations.
Paul

But the best ships, are friendships,
And may they always be."

2015-2018 Seaweed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: