The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Kissimmee River Cruise, Central FL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy & Dixie

City/Region: Silver Springs
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Way
Photos: C-Way
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Kissimmee River Cruise, Central FL Reply with quote

I recently cruised the Kissimmee River in central FL covering the full length in both directions (round trip) from the town of Kissimmee waterfront to it's mouth at the NW corner of Lake Okeechobee. I actually began at the loading ramp in the Kissimmee River State Park located on the NW shore of Lake Kissimmee. From the SP I headed south to Lake Okeechobee, back north to the town of Kissimmee, then back south to the SP. We got underway at 1400hr on day 1, anchored out 4 nights, and hauled out 1200hr on day 5. There is a lot of information on the history of the river and recent attempts to restore some of the damage done to the river and Lake Okeechobee due to converting the river into a barge canal from Lake Okeechobee to the south end of Lake Kissimmee that can be found online. Navigational info on the river is hard to come by.

This is a summary of the trip:

1) The length of the river, canals, and lake routes is about 105 mi each way.
2) There are 6 locks. When you arrive at a lock you pull up to a cord located at the end of the approach fender and pull the cord for 2 sec. You will be asked your last name and boat name. The lock closest to Lake Okeechobee wants you to have your last name posted so the lock tender, who has a hearing problem we think, can read it.
3) Water depth is over 15ft in the dredged canals, but can be very shallow in a couple of the small lakes and along most of the restored river section that lies between the 3rd and 4th locks up from Lake Okeechobee. One must hold to the outside of most of the sharp bends in this restored section due to sand bars developing on the inside of the bends.
4) Currents in the restored section are about 1.5 to 2 kts. Currents in the canals are not noticeable due to the locks and depth of the wide canals.
5) We had almost no traffic between Lake Okeechobee and the north end of Lake Kissimmee.
6) There is no fuel between Lake Okeechobee and the south end of Lake Kissimmee, a distance of 66 mi. There is good fuel just before Lake Kissimmee at 'River Ranch' marina that has a restaurant and good docking.
7) There are many places to select an anchorage any where en route, even off the deep canals.
Cool Numbered markers are within the lakes. Red right north bound.
9) There are very good launching ramps at the mouth of the Kissimmee River on either side of SR78. A very large paved parking area is at the ramps north of SR78 and safe for extended parking, I was told. Park well away from the ramps if out several days.
10) Distances from the ramps at the mouth of the river are:
8 mi to lock S65E
8 mi to lock S65D
9 mi to lock S65C
30 mi to lock S65A
11 mi to lock S65 at the south end of Lake Kissimmee.
The last lock, S61, is at the south end of Lake Tohopekaliga. The town of Kissimmee lies on the north end of this lake where one will find a nice floating dock so as to visit the small town.

"C-Way" Silver Springs, FL
bcassal

City/Region: BLoomington
State or Province: IN
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Carpy
Photos: Carpy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info.
This a trip we have considered when planning our Florida trips.
What did you encounter along the way as far as points of interest, scenery, etc. I remember having the impression of lots of flat canal-like waterways. Was this the case?

Bruce Cassal
Carpy
Roy & Dixie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bcassal wrote:
thanks for the info.
This a trip we have considered when planning our Florida trips.
What did you encounter along the way as far as points of interest, scenery, etc. I remember having the impression of lots of flat canal-like waterways. Was this the case?

Bruce Cassal
Carpy

Much of the trip is in wide, straight canals with open flat lands. About 1/3 of the trip is in crossing the chain of lakes along the northern part of the trip. The 30 miles of the restored section had the most scenic FL type of landscape; many large gators along the banks that are not accustomed to boat traffic, as they quickly slide into the water ahead of your approach, so you see them when looking ahead. This section is also the most challenging: tight turns, narrow, shallow.

I'm glad we did the trip. It is something I have long wanted to see since I first heard of the restoration plans years ago. We certainly had variable weather. First night was in lower 40's with strong N wind. It warmed 10 degrees each day and night until we had a warm mid 70's night with threat of thunder storms the 4th night, but did not hit us until on the road headed back home to Silver Springs. I would say it is like climbing the highest mountain; you cruise this river "because it is there".

I did not try to post the only maps/chart of the river that I could find, but could e-mail them to you, and anyone else interested. t least I could try.
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please send them if you can. If it doesnt work I'd like to visit just because we're neighbors, I'm in Mt Dora, I've run the Ocklawaha for years. Where you left your car and trailer are what I'd like to know as well ok, Thanks Cliff
djjimicliff@yahoo.com

Simplicity

City/Region: Chipley
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Simplicity
Photos: Simplicity
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always been amusing to me that the Army Corp got paid to straighten the Kissimmee and now they're getting paid to try to put it back the way it was. That's a smart government agency!
Fish eating creek is the only natural inflow to the big lake and it's beautiful. Wouldn't be good for a C Dory but nice in a small outboard or kayak.
Roy & Dixie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff, I e-mailed 2 attachments to your yahoo e-mail account, and also sent you a PM. Were you able to receive either of these?

Roy
captstu

City/Region: DELRAY BEACH
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Charts for Kissimmee River Reply with quote

Any chance you can e/mail me pointers to the charts you used to go from Lake Okeechobee to Kissimmee?

Thanks much

stu@shearwater-sailing.com

Roy & Dixie

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Charts for Kissimmee River Reply with quote

captstu wrote:
Any chance you can e/mail me pointers to the charts you used to go from Lake Okeechobee to Kissimmee?

Thanks much

stu@shearwater-sailing.com

Stu, I sent you an e-mail to your e-mail address containing 2 charts that I found online before my trip.

Roy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: