The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Pricing: C-DORY 22' CRUISER with Hightop cabin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl

City/Region: NORTHERN
State or Province: NY
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Pricing: C-DORY 22' CRUISER with Hightop cabin Reply with quote

What is a ballpark price for this model, rigged, but with motor purchased locally? Latter is necessary to receive engine service locally...few dealers/marinas will service what they didn't sell, or you go to bottom of waiting list...my first encounter with such policies began with getting a Yamaha FJR1300 motorcycle serviced that had been bought out of state...you could lose the entire season waiting for even warranty service.

How expensive will delivery to northern NYS add, to just below Montreal?

I'm not finding any pricing, for either boat or options, on their web site.
I believe trim-tabs are even an option, which I consider mandatory.

How flexible are they with options...will they install a Webasto cabin heater, or insist on the Wallas for example?
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl: You should call Marc Grove from Wefings. He can give you all the info you need and is a very nice guy. I spoke to him several times last year and he told me that he regularly gets deliveries from the Eastern factory in NH. That may help with delivery. Sometimes these truckers need another load back up north.

http://wefings.com/

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that any service facility that turns down business for any reason other than they are too busy with their regular customers or don't have the proper tools is probably not a very smart technician. That said, one danger you can run into is a Evinrude mechanic that hates Honda's, for instance, and his boss insists he take on the job. My 35 years in the car business has taught me that most tech's have favorites and very non-favorites.

It's something in the water!
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of being put at the bottom of a waiting list because you didn't purchase an outboard from their location. That's really a big ticket item, you should have the freedom to purchase wherever you can get the best deal. I would not let that stop you, unless I'm just a bit ignorant about how things are handled in New York.

Outboard shops get pretty busy right before summer. Maybe get the boat serviced in the fall or winter when the shops are slower before putting it up for the winter.

We took our Yamaha in this winter for the big 500 hour service, to a new shop I'd never done business with. It was done within a few days, because the guys at the shop wanted a boat they could wheel inside the shop and work on while we had a cold snap. Got put to the top of the list. I've actually never had to wait all that long in the past either, even at the height of the fishing season.

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in California and still would drive cross country to buy from Marc at Wefings...you want to buy from someone that is on your side and not trying to get everything they can out of the customer...he is fair, honest and will always do his best for you...a fine person..and a good business...you can bank on his word..

In the market today...any dealer of your brand of motor will be THRILLED to work on your motor...it is not at all like the motorcycle world..(been in both)

Getting the proper dealer is important if you ever have a serious problem...
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to expand on that priority working.....it does exist in the motorcycle world...and there is a reason....first and always comes the TOURING rider...it is a common rule...if someone is traveling and they break down.. a quality shop will fix their bike first...it is a "code" type of thing...it is expected..
Second has to be your customer that buys from you...he keeps you in business... and then the guy that you will never see again... that's just the way motorcycle shops operate... everyone knows it and expects it...
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is pricing from the 2017 Boat Show. (and to be honest, I'm not sure what is so special about that pricing - my boat was purchased 6 months earlier at "non-show" pricing for quite a bit less, although I did hear there was a bump in cost for 2017). As I recall the high top is about a $1000 option, give or take a few hundred. The factory is somewhat flexible on options, for example there is another Brat who is having some special modifications done on his 2017 boat...I know they'll install other Wallas heaters such as the 1300, but not sure about other brands - obviously they would be getting dealer pricing on the stuff they normally sell.

Subtract the price of the outboard as shown, add delivery costs (could check U-Ship for quotes), and there you go. Since the factory does not sell direct, you will still need to buy from a C-dory dealer, others have suggested Marc at Wefings on the East Coast, seems like the best option in your case.

Another option is that the NMI factory itself is also a Honda dealer and can install a Honda at the factory for you, if that might give you any leverage with your local NY dealers not wanting to service your stuff. I agree with others though, never has there been any problems servicing outboards at any dealer I've picked, regardless of where it was purchased. Maybe warranty work is different for some reason, but usually the warranty coverage is something that comes up AFTER you've already had your boat in the shop and they determine a cause for the failure, and is usually not a question at the time of scheduling service. Not once has a service shop ever asked me where the outboard was purchased when scheduling service.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are over 6' 2" I don't think that the "high Top" is necessary (I was 6'2"--a little less now)--and I have had 2 standard top C Dorys--even with the Hi top, the door entrance is where the low spot is--the same in high and low tops. That is where you must always duck...

As you can see from the prices--you pay a premium to have the factory install anything...For example a $58 deck pipe (for anchor rode if you don't have windlass) will cost you $252!!!. Windshield wipers: $170 worth of electric wipers are going to cost: $615, and a second group 24 (small for a house battery) and switch worth about $120 with wiring, is over $1000!!!.

I have read on The Hull Truth of a number of instances where boaters in a busy area will be put to the bottom of the line if they did not buy the rig at that shop. Even in Pensacola, where I know one of the dealers, I get faster service if I drive about 40 miles past Gulf Breeze on outboard repairs.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Karl

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Unless you are over 6' 2" I don't think that the "high Top" is necessary (I was 6'2"--a little less now)--and I have had 2 standard top C Dorys--even with the Hi top, the door entrance is where the low spot is--the same in high and low tops. That is where you must always duck...

Bob-

I, too, have "shrunk"...3 spinal compression fractures and two hip replacements have reduced me from 6'6" to a mere 6'4", my reason for wanting the high top version, so that I could possibly stand or at least lean while piloting, to take some pain off my back.

I have an outbuilding at home with only 7' walls, so door opening is about a foot lower. I can't count the number of times I have forgotten to duck, and have a few scalp scars as souvenirs...I finally added some foam pipe insulation to top of door opening...when I ordered the large shed, 8' walls were only a $200 option, and I kick myself for being so cheap.

Good points about the cost of factory option price mark-up. I would only elect factory installed ones which would be difficult to install on a completed boat. I will definitely want a drum type windlass (like the "Good" brand) and cabin heat, but prefer the two major truck-derived brands over a Wallas, for reliability and availability of local parts and service. Espar and Webasto are so common as truck bunk heaters, so dealers and installers are easy to find.

As to outboards, the only choice in my area comes down to Yamaha and Mercury, virtually no sales/service for Suzuki or Honda here. And the servicing policy is pretty much the marina culture...customers come first and most service departments are very under-staffed, probably due to the short boating season this far north (Quebec border).
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl,

I am pretty sure this used boat that Wefings will be selling is a high top. At the asking price, I doubt it will be available long.

Rob

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=25396
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl
Here's a real nice hi top for sale in Florida. lots of extras.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=25230&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Karl

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the used 22s have deal-breakers for me, the first of which is Suzuki power (no service avail. here), and age, and bottom paint.

I really want to buy new, as mine will be dry-docked indoors when not in actual use, avoiding sun damage,etc., plus will only be used in fresh water of drinking quality...

Plus, I have some fairly unique "wants"...mine will be very spartan, minimum (quickly removable) vinyl, workboat style rub-rail, etc, and drum windlass, just as starters. I expect it to look cosmetically new 10 years from now. Drum windlasses are not popular in the US, I suspect due to appearance, but they allow anchoring from the helm with no need to cleat-off. Becoming more important to me as my joints and body in general continue to become less forgiving, plus I boat 99% solo in very cold waters, extending the season to whenever there is no ice (and also no fuel docks open), so ability to run a 90 or 115hp outboard makes the C-Dory attractive, since I'll be hauling fuel most of "my" season.

It looks like the 22 Cruiser, new, will be affordable, but, I'm budgeting $10k for electronics, as I like tech toys, and we get severe fog here that rolls in w/o notice. Although the lake is 130 miles long, and I'm at northern tip, I don't expect to be going much further than 50 miles from home, unless there's a need to.
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl , I would be happy to work with you on a High Top . We have 2 right now [one is a Honda]but we love to rig new ones . Ill send an e mail and can get some pricing to you . There is no MSRP with C Dory [like most other other builders] so its up to the dealer to price .
As far as motors go "the end of the list" mentality does exist , especially when motors have been reduced to commodities with very little margins and lots of expenses to properly sell them. Its a combination of the motor manufacturers encouraging "car business" models with rebates for high volume dealers and consumers driving 500 miles to save 500 dollars that drives it.
The end result is the end user gets poor service . Its refreshing to hear someone that thinks about service over price.They are not mutually exclusive but generally the more you beat up dealers ,the worse you service experience will be .
I am dropping the mic now .
Marc

Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm like you Karl. Regarding your comment about keeping your prospective C dory "showroom". That really rang a bell with me. I'm cursed with wanting to keep things perfect. I envy the folks who use stuff to death and are not bothered by wear and tear. About the only toy I have that I haven't dinged up (yet) is my 2011 Yamaha Vino Scooter. But then just yesterday I almost drove off a curb with it. Wish I could get over it, but then it does keep it nice for the next guy. Good luck in your search.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
It looks like the 22 Cruiser, new, will be affordable, but, I'm budgeting $10k for electronics, as I like tech toys, and we get severe fog here that rolls in w/o notice. Although the lake is 130 miles long, and I'm at northern tip, I don't expect to be going much further than 50 miles from home, unless there's a need to.

Check out Planar Heaters, I installed a 44D in my 25 last Dec.
Have about 800hrs on it so far & not even a hiccup! At -10 deg. ambient, it will keep cabin +50 deg. & about 30% the price of Webasto/Espar .
(I have thousands of Hours Experience with Webasto / Espar in the Truck-Bus ind.) Wink Wink Thumbs Up

The 22 & a F115 Yamaha is a great boat for 2 people, I had one for 10 yrs. Good luck in your journey!! Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: