USCG Documentation Interior Hull Numbering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjhantzis

City/Region: Barters Island
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Catleen
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: USCG Documentation Interior Hull Numbering Reply with quote

Any thoughts on the best place for interior hull USCG Documentation Numbering? Here's the USCG parameters:

The vessel must have the official number permanently affixed in block-type Arabic numerals of not less than 3 inches in height, preceded by the letters “NO .” on some clearly visible interior integral structural part of the vessel.

Thanks,

SJH
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We documented a 22, 25 and 255. In each case, we put the NO. on the inside of the hull under the table, with vinyl stick on letters, then covered those with a very thin sheet of fiberglass cloth (deck cloth), which is transparent when coated with clear epoxy. Some have just put clear epoxy over the vinyl letters.

Another way, is to cut a board, rout the NO. in the board, and epoxy the board to the inside of the hull--probably the best place remains under the table. I used teak on some of our larger vessels.

Unless one is doing a lot of international voyaging, or trying to diminish fees, there is little reason to document currently. It used to be that documentation was free renewal--now the CG charges a fee, I believe it is $26. If you miss the renewal date, the vessel must be re-instated, and if out of the US when that occurs there can be some expensive implications--daily late fees.

Also many states require that the vessel also be state registered. Florida does,--if you are not state registered even if visiting, you may be asked to register in Florida...At one point officers were enforcing that near the border. I believe that more leniency is given now... State registration doe snot mean state numbers, but the state sticker should be displayed on the windshield or side window--or part of hull--mast on sailing vessels.

It used to be free renewal, no state registration, and there were some diplomatic advantages in foreign waters...most of these have been negated. Our current boat is not documented.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 25 I put the USCG Doc # directly on the sole / hull in the galley cabinetry (on the floor under the sink). I also just did the vinyl stickers covered with a layer of fiberglass/epoxy.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
sjhantzis

City/Region: Barters Island
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Catleen
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, under the table, is a good idea. I'll probably do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: