The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer troubles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Trailer troubles Reply with quote

I have a 2006 EZ Loader bunk trailer that hauls our 25 just fine, thank you.

The trouble is the surface on the spindle that the rear seal rides on at the back of the hub. It is pitted and shot.
After losing the bearings on all 4 wheels last year after new hubs, brakes and all replaced in Aug 2014. I went with the Bearing Buddy Spindle Seal Kit 11 for my size of spindle and hub.

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/spindle.html

It's been a year and 3 out of 4 wheels are quietly rolling. One was a growler. I discovered this after replacing tires and checking brake pads on the Titan discs. Bearings and races shot, can't think anything other than water leaking in from rear seal.

Went to 6 Robblees for bearings and told them my sad story. Counter Guy says I need to install EZ Loader wear sleeve. Says my trailer should have come with it. I don't know since I am 3rd owner of boat and trailer.

Here is the wear sleeve by EZ Loader:

http://estore.ezloader.com/product.asp?0=208&1=225&3=3913

Counter Guy gave a strip of 80 grit emery cloth to dress the spindle surface and then said sleeve would slip over surface with hammer taps. The spindle was rusted, I used a Dremel to get down to bare metal and then worked slowly. I cannot take enough material off the spindle to slip on the wear sleeve.

Now, I am thinking of new axles since the rest of the trailer is just fine. A new trailer would be nice, but more $$$ we don't want to spend.

Any thoughts from the experts out there? I like the idea of a wear sleeve, but can't get them on.

Thanks all!

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
Wigeon

City/Region: Bellingham
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear sleaves may be what is called a "tight fit". First, clean the axle. Then chill the axel the best you can. Heat the sleave and install. Larry
Salmon Fisher

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Larry.
How should a person heat the ss sleeve evenly? Do I need to worry about warping the sleeve?
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey On rides on a EZ Loader trailer and I've used sleeves several times. The rear seal on an EZ Loader is rubber coated and double lipped, which puts a heavy load on the bearing surface. I've used S&K sleeves but it's nice to know that EZ Loader has acknowledged the problem and at least is selling the sleeves. They should come on the trailer new but I doubt if they do. Mine didn't. Keep an eye on them since the stainless wears and in the course of time you'll replace the sleeves.

So, to install the sleeve heat it in an oven. The oven I use goes down to the low 180's and I use ~250 deg F. Then you'll have to tap it on with a hammer and a short piece of pipe which will slip over the hub. Lube axle side first with silicone spray/grease first. The sleeves are an interference fit. If you can't convince the other half to use the oven, you could use boiling water.

As you know, to get a new hub you have to order the complete axle which isn't cheap.

Boris
Salmon Fisher

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. I heated the sleeves, but that didn't make much of a difference, even at 450 F and ran it out to the trailer!
So I will consult a shop and see what they say. Maybe I didn't put enough force on them. So will report back later.
I am trusting the new seal on the smoothish spindle to get us to Anacortes in the morning. We will sling in, so as not to chance getting water in the hub again. With fingers crossed, we hope to enjoy the Friday Harbor get together!
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh...trailers. The Achilles heel of boating. Hope you made it safely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: