View previous topic :: View next topic  
hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Lake Superior Beckons Reply with quote

We're looking forward to another season on Lake Superior and hope many of you will join us in exploring this greatest of the Great Lakes. Early June to September are the traditional cruising dates for the Big Lake. At this writing the lake temperature is around 34 degrees and we're expecting snow.

We are conveniently located near L'Anse, MI and the Keweenaw Peninsula. This location provides easy access to a variety of cruises from overnight to several days. There is a nearby launch site and marina and we have plenty of room for truck and trailer parking.

We are planning a cruise to Isle Royale National Park in early August and would be delighted to have others join us. We're looking at spending 10 days exploring but, given the changeable conditions on Lake Superior it's difficult to plan a specific itinerary. We will launch from Grand Portage, MN as it is just an 18 mile crossing to the Park. One drawback to visiting the Park is the prohibition of domestic animals on vessels. Huge fines have been imposed for violation of this rule even when the four-legged friends have remained aboard.

Last summer we were able to host several C-Dorys and we're hoping they'll return and bring friends. We look forward to your inquiries about cruising in the great north country.

Hank and Pat Clow
Meri Aura
mccml

City/Region: Montoursville, PA
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Crystal Sea
Photos: Crystal C
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We spent two days with Hank and Pat boaterhoming in their yard last August before launching at Grande Portage for our trip to Isle Royale. They are gracious hosts and we enjoyed our time with them. Hank told me about his favorite cruising spot, Isle Royale on Lake Superior at the Hontoon Gathering two years ago and we really enjoyed the trip, and so will you.

Mark and Carol
(Crystal Sea)
outbackbill

City/Region: Mocksville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Blue Days
Photos: Blue Days
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What a great invitation. We were one of the boats that trailer camped in Hank and Pat's yard last Summer, before cruising the area. You couldn't find better host. Meeting new friends like them has been a large part of our C-dory cruising experience.

Bill and Becky Smith

Blue Days
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hank & Pat, I still have Possible Isle Royal August on my calendar. (The possible part means exact schedule unkown.) I still have every intention of joining you guys for that. Don't know Rosanne's schedule, and with all the other travel and time off she has taken so far and planned this summer, it may be just me. But in any case, you can plan on Midnight Flyer joining you either solo handled or party of two! Cool Just let me know when you plan to launch! Colby

P.s. I too have boaterhomed at the Clows. Great hospitality, and good area to cruise!
Snowday

City/Region: Lake Superior
State or Province: MN
Vessel Name: Foxfire
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Todd and Susan Miller.
We live in Grand Marais MN, about 40 miles from Isle Royal.
Tomorrow I leave to go look at a c-dory 25 in Florida.
Hopefully I will bring it back with me.
Then we should remain in contact for your trip to the big lsland.
Cheers.
Todd and Susan

sokolowski

City/Region: Silver islet
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Theodory
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: canada Reply with quote

well if you venture into canada I'm directly across from isle royal at the sleepingiant
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always say... "Hank and Pat Clow? The funnest couple on the water".
I should change that to "A fun couple anywhere, anytime, period".
Very Happy

Real Time

City/Region: Hermantown
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Reel Time
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on boating in Minnesota waters, be aware that there is a new requirement that all boats with an enclosed head, sink and enclosed sleeping area must have at least one ABYC approved CO detector installed. A porta potty under a vee birth is not considered an enclosed head.
All enclosed boats that do not meet the three criteria, are required to have three CO warning stickers. An example would be a 22 foot C-dory with a porta potty under the vee birth does not need a CO detector but is required to have the warning stickers.
The Minnesota DNR web site Sophia's Law page has more info.

Larry Anderson
Reel Time
VSC examiner Duluth Power Squadron
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat & Hank, Rosanne keeps asking me to find out if you guys have a hard date for Isle Royle. I told her I would ask. Colby
hank clow

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Lake Superior Beckons Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up. We'll check with the Minnesota DNR for clarification on out-of-state boats launching from Minnesota facilities.

Meri Aura
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank, Pat,
First thing I did after reading that post about Minnesota's new CO2 Detector law, was go to the DNR site and start reading. It is exactly as posted above. They are including out of state boats. I.e., any boat that boats on Minnesota waters! My take is that we should be able to get those stickers at any marina or DNR outlet. Politically, I don't agree with Minnesota. I don't need 3 of those damn stickers stuck all over my boat! (Stern, berth and cabin). From reading comments on at least one of their news stories, I suspect I'm not the only one that feels that way. I do have a CO2 monitor on my boat. But it is not hardwired, but rather what they probably consider portable with it's own 10 year battery. To install a hard wired one if your boat does not already have one, will run several hundred dollars just for the unit. Also, according to the rules you need to have the units installed in both the cabin and sleeping quarters. So I suppose they would expect two in our boats, if the porta potty counted. That's the CD-22. I think the CD-25 folks will have bigger worries with the enclosed head. Anyway, just my two cents worth. I'm still looking at joining you and any others for Isle Royal. I'll plan on sending a request to the MN DNR for some stickers, or to just pick them up at where we launch. I'll attach them, but they will be removed when I return back to Wisconsin! Mr. Green Colby
hank clow

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Lake Superior Beckons Reply with quote

After taking a look at the calendar we're scheduling the Isle Royale adventure for August 1, 2017. We will gather on that date at the marina in Grand Portage, MN. Departure for the Island will be the following morning. We're planning a tentative ten-day itinerary, but anyone joining us can come an go as they please. There is a large filling station near the marina where you can conveniently fill your tanks as the fuel on the Island is rather expensive and there are only two sources available.

Thanks Colby, for your research on the Minnesota DNR CO requirements.

We'll keep you updated as the summer evolves. Current Lake Superior water temperatures are 38 degrees. Brrrrrr!!!!

Meri Aura
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link if anyone wants to read anymore about the new Minnesota law.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/boatwater/sophias-law.html

Hank, I did ask Minnesota DNR to send me enuf stickers for 4 other boats besides mine. If I get them, I can bring them along in case anyone else needs some. Colby
Real Time

City/Region: Hermantown
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Reel Time
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery operated CO detectors that meet ABYC requirements, will be available soon. The cost will be about $110.00. According to the DNR, stickers will be available at marine retailers and marinas.
The law was created when a child died in an aft cabin due to an animal chewing a hole in an exhaust pipe. She was found dead thirty minutes after entering the cabin.
Reel Time
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get the requirement to have CO detectors. However, I don't see the utility of the stickers (unless they change color in the presence of CO). Stickers aren't going to alert you to any CO levels or sound an alarm if you are sleeping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: