The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

22 Cruiser twin Yami 40's props

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: 22 Cruiser twin Yami 40's props Reply with quote

Hi all,

I know a few people have the same twin yamaha 40's on there 22 as I do. I currently don't have a spare prop and was thinking about buying 1, when I thought maybe I should try a different size/pitch and get 2. Most of my boating is on the Salt, but the motors do bog down quit a bit when I go to higher elevation lakes so my thought is to get a set of props for spares and to switch out for the high altitude lakes when I go up.

I currently run 11 1/8 X 13-G yamaha prop. I"m overall very happy with the performance at sea level. I've also read some good things about the Solas.

What size are other twin yamaha 40 22 owners running and whats your experience/elevation?

Thanks
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran Yamaha 12 1/4 x 9 - 3 blade aluminum and switched last year to Stainless, and I don't have the exact number but 12 1/4 by 11 1/2 I believe. Gives me more speed, and WOT at 6K with speeds at 24 knots. I run a heavy boat, and run at seal level.

I wouldn't necessarily run stainless, but got an good deal from one of the Brats, who was closing out his boating stuff. I don't think they are as positive in reverse as the other props were.

Hope that is some help.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I ran Yamaha 12 1/4 x 9 - 3 blade aluminum and switched last year to Stainless, and I don't have the exact number but 12 1/4 by 11 1/2 I believe. Gives me more speed, and WOT at 6K with speeds at 24 knots. I run a heavy boat, and run at seal level.

I wouldn't necessarily run stainless, but got an good deal from one of the Brats, who was closing out his boating stuff. I don't think they are as positive in reverse as the other props were.

Hope that is some help.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hi Harvey,
Please do me a big favour. Check the exact size of your new props for me. I have the original props on my Dec 2008 twin Yamis and can't get anywhere near 6k WOT. I need to make a change.
Cheers,
Martin.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bridma wrote:
hardee wrote:

Hope that is some help.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hi Harvey,
Please do me a big favour. Check the exact size of your new props for me. I have the original props on my Dec 2008 twin Yamis and can't get anywhere near 6k WOT. I need to make a change.
Cheers,
Martin.

I believe I'm the guy Harvey got the props from. I'm pretty certain these are the props (Be gentle if I remembered incorrectly, Harvey. Smile ): Solas “New Saturn” 3-blade Yamaha Stainless Steel props; 11 5/8” diameter X 11” pitch

They are smaller than previous props I had used with Yamaha 50's on my 23.

Like Harvey, I typically ran a very heavy boat. (And my 23 was heavier than a 22, to begin with.) I installed new Yamaha 70's, and their recommended WOT was 6500 - hence the decision to try the these props. They improved MPH and MPG compared to the previous props on the 70's and allowed reaching the recommended WOT of 6500. (I'd really have to do some head scratching to figure out what size those previous props were - but I probably could find the numbers if someone really wanted to know.) Anyway, the props Harvey now has worked great on my boat, and it sounds like on his slightly lighter boat with slightly smaller engines and a lower WOT, these props still work well.

PS: Martin - we ran into you in 2014 at Montague - you and Sea Sprite were headed south and we were headed north. That trip to Alaska was the first real test of these props, and they worked great.

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Bill for the info. I'll check out my local Yami dealer in the near future.

Yes, I do remember you and your wife at Montague. Ourselves and Sea Sprite were heading for Friday Harbor, 2015 I think.

Cheers,
Martin.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, My boat is in the water for the next few days, while I am working on the trailer bunks, but yes, I got them from Bill, and his info is most likely right on. I can check but it will take me a few days.

I remember that they seems pretty "square" compared to most prop measurements I had heard.

Bill, thanks for providing that info for Martin.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

CDory23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to get a new set of props with an 11" pitch. If I like them I will keep them as my everyday prop and keep the old ones for spares. My current pitch being 13 usually only gets me on average a little over 5000 rpm depending on ocean conditions. Hopefully I'll increase WOT RPM by and hole shot as well by doing this. I will stick with around the same diameter as I don't think increasing or decreasing will make much of a difference. Also IMO the SS props are nice but in less you have a much larger motor you will never notice the difference. The advantages of them is that they "flex" less and I don't think the twin yami 40's will push these props to that point, but I could be wrong.

Lastly, what are opinions on the SOLAS? Are they really worth the extra $$? I saw 4 different styles on their website. I'm thinking as long as I have the right size prop I would never notice, but maybe I"m wrong? I'm no prop expert.

Thanks
CDory23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only mentioned the performance differences in SS. They also are tougher and virtually can last forever. I like the look too.

The 4 different types I was mentioning is really just two depending on metal type.
SS Options: Saturn and New Saturn. I don't really see a noticeable difference here.

Aluminum: Amita 3 and Amita 4. I would think a 4 blade prop would serve no advantage on this setup.

The SS is tempting and I'm strongly considering the one Harvey has above
since he is happy. I often run a heavy boat as well.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read, AL props are more sacrificial than SS props. If you end up in shallow water the AL prop will get dinged up, but will absorb some of the abuse. A SS prop is much more robust and will transfer the impacts into the motor and drive train.

Maybe it's just me and where I boat, but after a year or two my AL prop is showing some noticeable abuse. A few minutes and file can make a noticeable improvement. Wouldn't work the same with a SS prop.

At low to mid speeds, I don't think that a SS prop will make a noticeable difference in efficiency or performance.

Also, in some places SS props are attractive theft targets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: