El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coals and Cobb? Wow. That rang in the ears of an Aussie lover. "Hear the bells of Cobb and Coe.". Mean anything to any other Brat?

Cobb and Co had the delivery service to Outback Communities in Australia -- and there was a very popular song known to every young person in Oz about hearing the bells of Cobb and Co and knowing there was a package to be delivered to the Ouback farmhouse.

Sorry -- just happy memories.

Now to cooking on a small boat -- do it out back under cover in the cockpit, on a two burner Coleman propane camp stove. No odors inside, no big gas container, small and easy to store outside, simple and inexpensive. We did it for years. El and Bills

bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: cooking Reply with quote

Well this has been well hashed over but knowing all the risks of white gas, regualr gas, propane, butane, and even alcohol and diesel, my number one stove is a Bremer Sea Swing using one pound propane bottles or a hose to a tank. I also use a Coleman dual mode gas stove, a butane single burner (like the ones Australia banned), a Camp Chef that mounts on top of a one pound propane bottle, a Scotch Box charcoal Bar-B-Q, a microwave/single burner hot plate/toaster oven running off my Honda 2000, an old Svea camping stove, an ancient Bruce Roberts butane camping stove, and MSR white gas stove, and a homemade rocket stove. Hand down the Bremer/Force Ten Sea Swing is ths best of the bunch.
bob
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last summer I bought a one burner, butane stove, all stainless steel and commercial grade from Costco. It was $25. It is a 1000 times faster than the Wallas and when we are done with it, I put it back in the case and store it away.

The Wallas will eventually be removed, replaced by a dedicated diesel heater and put up for sale.

olekils

City/Region: Goleta
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Photos: olekils
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a Trangia alcohol stove set on my boat for many years. It's very simple with no moving parts, super stable, wind proof and nests with the pots and pans for easy storage. The burner is controlled with a ring-lid which allows decent simmering and quick searing/boiling. Denatured alcohol is easy to source, relatively safe to store and can come in handy for other uses. Trangia makes the pots and pans in several different materials and I have what they call "Duossal". It's basically an aluminum pot lined with a thin stainless steel coating. They have held up very well for us, we usually wash them in salt water and use sand to clean them out. The only thing that has failed after having the set for nearly 20 years is the little rivet in the simmer ring. Simple enough to pop in a new one.
It's not exactly made for gourmet cooking but for a single burner setup it's pretty amazing in my opinion.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Costco one still works great. Cool
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Marine duo cook single burner that uses either an internal butane or exterior propane. It is very compact and burns hot almost instantly. There are a lot of this type out there and they are often part of the equipment sold on new small boats. They also have a nice storage case.
Our built in alcohol Origo stove that came with the boat is ok for slower cooking but is to slow for coffee on cold mornings so we use both. We mostly cook dinner on our small rail mounted bbq off a big propane that we can also refill our small green tanks for the stove with. All very simple and reliable.

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin, as to your problem with leaking 1 lb propane bottles. I bought some brass screw on caps with o-rings on Amazon that will hopefully help on ours.

We have been trying to stock up on denatured alcohol for our upcoming Baja trip but it has new restrictions I think because some of the cleanest burning and least toxic fume types were being drunk and making people sick. The price is through the roof here and now hard to get, we found none at West Marine and barely any on Amazon.

Great thred!
olekils

City/Region: Goleta
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Photos: olekils
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been able to buy denatured alcohol in gallon canisters at Home Depot in the painting section
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use one of these - http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Martin-404-stove&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Best stove we have used on the boat as it doesn't blow out like the regular open flame burner did.

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite happy with our set up.

The Wallas was removed to make more counter space (we have a diesel heater). We cook with one of those cheap butane cylinder, 1-burner cookers. The small butane cans (about the size of a spray paint can) are a bit expensive for the total BTUs you get, but the stove can be set anywhere inside or in the cockpit; and it cooks most foods quickly and easily.

If we need to cook something a long time (e.g., boil water for pasta or crab), the butane cylinders are too slow and expensive, so we also have a single burner 10,000 BTU Coleman that screws right to the top of a 1 pound propane cylinder; it stores easily (less than half the size of 6-pack of beer). The fuel cost is practically nothing since every year or two I refill my collection of 1 pound cylinders from a 5 gallon propane tank.

Lastly, a standard Magma circular, permanently rail-mounted BBQ that also uses the refilled 1 pound propane cylinders. I am always surprised how well this BBQ works whether it be fish, hot dogs, beef roast, shrimp, oysters, you-name-it.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olekils, I should have made clear on cooking denatured alcohol the we only use 95% ethanol 5% methanol fuel to avoid the toxic fumes of higher % methanol fuel. I think klean-strip is the brand we are having a hard time getting. I did find cheap alcohol at Ace and Home Depot today but skipped it as I knew Dana would reject it.
If we were in another state Everclear drinking alcohol would be mighty useful, dual use!
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micahbigsur@msn.com wrote:
Marvin, as to your problem with leaking 1 lb propane bottles. I bought some brass screw on caps with o-rings on Amazon that will hopefully help on ours.

We have been trying to stock up on denatured alcohol for our upcoming Baja trip but it has new restrictions I think because some of the cleanest burning and least toxic fume types were being drunk and making people sick. The price is through the roof here and now hard to get, we found none at West Marine and barely any on Amazon.

Great thred!

HEET fuel line antifreeze in the yellow bottle is commonly used by light and fast backcountry travelers in alcohol/spirit stoves. It is I believe 100% methyl and available at nearly any gas station, feed store, hardware store, auto supply shop, and grocery store in the northern half of the United States. $/gal may not compete with Home Depot cans but it is easy to come by for resupply. I use it regularly when I do not want to listen to the jet engine sound of my modern canister stoves. I would not use it on my boat, but would definitely use it on a picnic table or a rock or a stump on shore in a Trangia type stove. Why anyone would try to drink denatured alcohol at 20$ a liter when you can buy a handle of vodka for that price is a real testament to ones confidence in their own liver.
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I somehow missed your comment on preferring ethanol. Apologies For my hasty post!
jeffandi

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2016
Vessel Name: Ripple
Photos: Ripple
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been using a single burner butane Iwatawni stove for years and love it! In fact, just purchased a second one. (Available on Amazon, of course - around 80 - $90) Very fast and hot! No moisture issues. High quality construction. Easy to simmer or crank her up for a fast boil. Will be ordering an infrared (electric) hot plate to use when on shore power to conserve fuel. Also have electric drip coffee maker and crock pot when on shore power. That Cobb grill is looking pretty interesting, too! Looks like a very versatile unit.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a simple single burner Butane stove, like Coleman, or comparable,<$30 on Amazon or in discount stores.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: