Older Garmin Card Reader/Cards

View previous topic :: View next topic  
haakebecks

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Next Adventure
Photos: haakebecks (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Older Garmin Card Reader/Cards Reply with quote

Does anybody have one of these collecting dust in a drawer?

The boat came with a Garmin 3210, but I don't think it has ever seen a software update and the ole coffers need to be replenished before I look at updating her with something fancier.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at a chart, and it looks like your 3210 uses the same cards as my 2006c. So I can tell you what I have found out and done.

Here is the chart I looked it up on, by the way:

http://www.defender.com/html/chip_compatibility_files/garmin.html

So, the "Bluechart Data Cards" are no longer sold new (I mean, unless you find them new on a dusty shelf somewhere). You may have all the charts you need, but if not, I have found them on Craigslist and eBay. I also started a thread here to see if there was any interest in trading/loaning/etc. but it did not get a lot of activity. Of course that was not for a specific request at a specific time.

I've found it helpful when searching to "minus" the other formats so as to home in on the cards for our machines. In other words, if I searched on eBay my search might look like this:

Garmin Bluechart data card -G2 -SD -micro -nuvi

There is also a data card programmer (of which I bought one) but I never really got it working (didn't actually try though). I was thinking I would put it up for sale on eBay, but of course if you are looking for one just let me know.

As far as software updates, I found that the easiest way was to call Garmin and for $50 they sent me out an update card right away (shaped like a chart card and you can just pop it in the chartplotter). When I sent the card back (after using it), they credited me the $50. So I just had to pay for shipping.

One thing to note, especially if you have an older/original antenna, is that the antenna basically is the GPS, and it has its own update version (separate from the chartplotter), but that update is "pushed" through to the antenna when you do the update in the chartplotter. So the plotter will be at version 8.2 (or whatever) and the antenna at 2.7 (or whatever).

I had a problem where my plotter would work great but then suddenly (and repeatedly) lose satellites (then get them back, but that's no good when underway). As it turns out, an antenna update (i.e. the update through the update card) fixed the problem; BUT, I had a hard time getting the antenna to "take" the update. In the end it had something to do with WAAS, and I had to turn off WAAS, then do the update, then turn WAAS back on. Now it all works fine as far as I can tell (whew!) and the antenna is updated (I have the 17N antenna, although I could have bought a newer one). I don't know how similar the 3210 will be, but perhaps this info will help.

I also have some data showing which chart cards cover which areas, if that might be of help.

Sunbeam
shipadrift

City/Region: Nova Scotia
State or Province: NS
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: garmin 182c Data Card Reply with quote

I also am looking for a data card for my Garmin 182c. It came with a boat I just bought and has a New York data card (MUS004R), which I would be willing to trade/sell, as I need a East Coast Canada data card...and of course is not compatible with the G2 versions widely available on eBay and other sites.
Anyone knowing where I would be able to get these older version cards or wanting the one I have, please just let me know. Thanks
rogerar

City/Region: SW FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Duck
Photos: Duck
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older MUSxxxx cards are available on Ebay, and you can sell your unneeded card there, too.
Roger
Arend

City/Region: Chilliwack,
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: TBA
Photos: Arend (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on the hunt for old proprietary Garmin data card options for western Canada.

preferred card option is CA501L - 010-C0676-00 Canada West Large.

other options :
CA001R- inside passage (van isl east)
CA002R- outside passgae
CA010R- hecate str south
CA011R- hecate str North to Dixon entrance
or CA003R

old G2 cards are welcome as well

My existing plotter was a Garmin 2006C, for which I had a CD with four unlock codes.
I just aquired a near new Garmin 3010 from a C-brat, and found out that my unlocked maps will not work on this plotter.
Garmin no longer provides the unlock service, therefore I am on the hunt for a suitable set of charts chips.
Or if anyone knows a roundabout way for making use of my Map source CD that would work for me as well.
My collection of weigh points and routes is 10 years old, and I would love to continue with that history on this new to me plotter.
Have searched E-bay and craigslist for months already, and offshore cloned cards scare me.
I have a near new mint condition Garmin 3206 with preloaded G2 maps that I would consider trading.
Thank you for reading my post.

Arend
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No cards, but if anyone needs a garmin card reader that plugs into a USB port on an older windows computer (as in older than Windows XP) I have one you are welcome to if you pay the shipping! Colby
RichardM

City/Region: Akron
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Pangur Ban
Photos: Pangur Ban
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another person who sells (and can update or work on) older Garmin units and cards is Capt. Mike Macrae, 609-471-1756.
Arend

City/Region: Chilliwack,
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: TBA
Photos: Arend (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!
I will pursue the phone number next week.

In case any of you have an old Canada Garmin data card available at a later date, please don't hesitate to pm me.

Arend
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: