The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Temperature and Diesel Fuel Additives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Temperature and Diesel Fuel Additives Reply with quote

At what point do those of you who power their tow vehicles with diesel start using a winter additive to keep the fuel from "gelling" and performing properly.

Thanks
Byrdman
FreeByrd & C-Byrd
wailedcentipede

City/Region: canada
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Blue Jay
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my youth i have seen stove oil turn to slush but your talking - 40
(Hayriver N.W.T.) trailered in with summer oil in the tanks

were i'm at now its lots of rain and than the occasional "artic outflow" in the winter which left me with a frozen gas line .. than a dead battery before i clued in (broke the gas line just loaded with ice at the filter)

when the artic outflows hit i add (menthy hydrate) additives to the tank for fear of frozen fuel line (water in the tank) i suspect diesels could end up with the same problem .... this past couple of winters their hasn't been much for cold winters ... climate change ??? wc
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most fuel suppliers will change to a winter diesel when it starts getting cold. ...at about 5 to -10 degrees, wax crystals start forming (depending on the blend) and screwing things up. If you're truckin around in the Bite arse cold zone (say 10 and below), some additive would be good. I worked one, and only one, winter in WY where the temp was stuck at about -30ish and some of the big rigs where having troubles with fuel systems, around the P.N.W it doesn't really get cold enough for that ugly wax buildup to be much of an issue. IF you don't drive the diesel tow rig much, you might add an anti biocide to keep critters from growing in your tank (if your fuel sits for much over six months)

my $0.02

Salty Dog

City/Region: Traverse City
State or Province: MI
Photos: Salty Dog
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually only put additive in mine when it's going to get extreme cold (less than 10 degrees F). If you have the engine block heater, just plug the truck in at night, and I've never had a problem of it not starting. One year the truck was parked at the public marina in Grand Marais, MI (on Lake Superior) between Christmas and New Years (wasn't boating, was snowmobiling instead) for 5 days straight without getting started and temperatures around 0 and windchills of about -40, not plugged in and she still started. I do believe I had added some fuel additive in the tanks, but that was it.
john schuler

City/Region: Missoula, Montana
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Clara (sold)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: november to april Reply with quote

I live in Montana and use additive and #1 fuel from november to april.
If I had to pick a temp it would be +10 F. I have no evidence on this but
its cheep insurance. I have had my fuel lines jelled once and its not good.
I don't think there is any downside to using it except for the extra cost.
CoolSmile john schuler CoolSmile
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run diesels for many years in Alaska and don't normally use fuel additives since the fuel suppliers switch to a fuel known as diesel fuel arctic (DFA). My understanding that is basically the same thing going in every turbine/jet aircraft at the airport, but at a substantially greater price.

I copied this from a State of Alaska Dept of Environmental Conservation document:

"Alaska refiners rely on the jet fuel market to produce one grade of distillate diesel fuel to serve all mobile, nonroad, and stationary source fuel needs in rural Alaska. The motor fuel market in Alaska is only about 5% of the total diesel fuel market."

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In twenty-four odd years of living and operating in arctic and sub-arctic Alaska, I have spent very little on fuel additives. That includes virtually never for the gas car engines and equipment as well as for diesels. Switched to what we used to call number one diesel in the winter. We habitually keep the tanks full. Number two will deffinately gel when it gets cold enough.
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in High School my dad had a diesel rabbit that we used to take skiing every weekend at Crystal. Since we weren't able to find #1 diesel at the time we would put about 3/4 of a gallon regular gas to the 9+ gallons of diesel and never had a problem starting the car even when the temps dropped to the near 0 mark. We never added any additives to the fuel.

On my F250 it doesn't like starting on the Bio Diesel I have been running when it gets below 40. But that is due to needing to replace the glow plugs. If I plug her in at night she's just fine though! Gotta love those block heaters!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: