View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Spices on board Reply with quote

I got this off an RV newsletter and thought I would share.

Quote:
Whip up your own multi-spice rack — with a pill case!
Courtesy doityourselfrv.com

Campground cooking is becoming a more popular RV activity. More RVers are beginning to don their chef hats right in the confines of their RV kitchen — or right outside. The more elaborate a meal, dish or item you try to make, then many times the more ingredients it requires.

If you are full-time in your RV then you probably have a well-stocked kitchen (if needed), as it is your only kitchen. But what are the part-timers and more recreational RV chefs to do? It can be expensive and a poor use of space to have a fully stocked kitchen all the time.

We picked up a clever tip from fellow RVer, Kim, and decided to give it a try. She recommended that RVers who don't regularly RV but occasionally want to make something that requires special spices create their own "spice organizer." At the heart of it is a pill organizer doing double-duty as a portable spice rack.

Pill cases vary in size and number of compartments, in much the same fashion as your meal may require a varying amount of herbs and spices. This is a great alternative to the Tic Tac RV spice rack — and it couldn't be simpler to get started. All you need is a pill case that has enough compartments to fit your needs. A typical weekly case should be enough for most meals, and this is the one we chose for our portable spice rack. Fill each compartment with your chosen herbs and spices. We used a mini-spoon for this part. Close and store in a plastic baggy. Pack it into your camping gear for the trip.

The only thing to watch out for is the quality of the pill case. Ideally, get a high-quality version that has air-tight compartments. The version we purchased was bargain-priced and it is not airtight. It will leak some spices and herbs that are finely ground if you turn it over.

Hope you part-time RV chefs find this useful. Happy camping!

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the climate where I boat I need something more airtight so I have found that the salt and pepper shakers sold by REI work well. One container has space for two different spices (top and bottom), and being airtight the spices never clump like those off the store shelf.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being a cook, i don't really require much. No salt. No pepper. No MSG. I did find that I use a Mrs Dash SW Chipotle shaker nearly completely last summer.

I carried Costco half baked vacuum sealed bread which keeps forever. On the bread I spread PB, sprinkled a healthy dose of cinnamon and a light sprinkle of Citracel (for some orange flavor and a bit of fiber), some walnuts and then covered that with apple sauce. Made a great no-cook breakfast.

I used the original bottles of both spices with no problem with caking.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: