Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here http://www.offshoreblue.com/communications/dsc.php it says the DSC function will not work without a MMSI number enabled. I don't know for sure if that's true or not.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of the strobes a few years ago when they were around $65. I keep it to remain legal with the flare requirement. If a distress situation occurs, I will first light some of the many out of date flares I've accumulated over the years

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One wet, cloudy and joyful New Years eve I decided to share my joy with my neighbors by using up some of my expired fares. More than half of the flares that were 2 years or more out of date would not ignite. They had all been kept in my orange water proof "ammo box" in the unopened plastic wrap they were purchased in.

My take home lesson: If I need a flare, Start with the new stuff first.

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How short the duration of an aerial flare.

How long (and hot) a hand-held flare burns (especially if you happen to be the one holding it).

It would be good experience for all boaters to know these things.

Yep...and yep.

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting discussion here with lots of good information. I think I would lean to having both the electronic and traditional flares on board as an added layer of safety. My question is, Does anybody know if the electronic beacon is recognized by the Canadian Coast Guard as a replacement for traditional flares as it is by the USCG?

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
My understanding for an unregistered DSC radio is that the DSC activation will still send your position. It just won't be able to be cross referenced to your name, address, boat name, etc. through a database look up.

Putting a MMSI number into your radio does not magically load that info into your device, there has to be an external database.

Also, if you want a "real" number that works everywhere you need to pay some money for it. The free (or low cost) ones are only registered in the US.

FIRST OF ALL, IF you install a DSC VHF radio, It has to have GPS input from someplace, either an internal GPS (of which there are becoming more available), connected to a GPS or to an MFD with GPS output.

IF that is done, THEN your VHF will send out a signal with your location when you lift the Red Cover and push and hold the DSC Emergency button. I believe that is common for all brands, (But you should check with your VHF instructions or manufacture's rep for your specific model.)

WHEN the MMSI is entered into your VHF, your specific boat information is included in the emergency broadcast. If you received your MMSI from the US FCC and paid the associated fees, your information will be in an international data base and accessible to non-USA Search And Rescue agencies. If your MMSI came from another source, ( BoatUS, or ???) then you are only listed in a USA available data base. Your position will still be broadcast if you are in foreign waters, but specific boat info, (Boat name, Length, color, type, power, home port etc will not be available.) I have heard from a Canadian Coast Guard officer that in some cases at least, they have called the US Coast Guard for additional MMSI info when they are tracking a signal.

Hope that clarifies some.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of the electronic flares last Spring too. For these same reasons. I carry the electronic in my ditch bag, and also some pistol flares. All the expired flares are marked "Outdated" and "For Practice Only" and stored in a separate location.

I thought these comments were particularly to the point.

Boris
Quote:
I bought one of these units last year. They're the latest alternative to flares, but the light is never outdated. I think this makes me legal. BTW, comes with a flag for daytime. And I can test it without destroying it.

ssobol
Quote:
The only obvious advantage to flares is that their unique burn "signature" can distinguish them from other objects. While this cannot be completely discounted, it is not a requirement of the regulation that all visual signaling devices must replicate this feature.

An electric device that is approved as a replacement to flares wins hands down when considered from a regulatory point of view. To wit, it is of the required brightness and it "burns" for at least the required duration In addition, it is not a hazardous material, it can be stored indefinitely, and there is no expiration date (which is its biggest selling point right now).

If the strobe light saves me once from a citation for having outdated flares, it has probably paid for itself. Not to mention not having to deal with obtaining flares and disposing of the expired ones (at some point your going to have to get rid of some old ones, otherwise they'll just pile up).

I added the bold highlight emphasis.

AND I agree with BOB, the line of sight is a pretty significant limitation to the effectiveness of the electronic LED light. (The reason to care aerial flares of some sort.) Also, a PLB or EPIRB should be on board for anyone doing remote or offshore cruising.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: SOS STROBE Reply with quote

I bought one on sale, but I think it's overpriced for the technology. It's pretty bright, but I for one would NEVER be willing to have it as my only night distress signal. A handheld or aerial flare screams "boater in trouble" to any idiot. From a mile or 2 away (and the horizon is only 3) this white blinky LED could look like someone watching a Kindle movie.
I'd buy SOLAS grade (a big step above USCG standards) pyrotechnics if going out of sight of land. When always in sight of other boaters I'd rather have a Std Hor HX851 6w handheld waterproof floating VHF for each of us with GPS and MMSI loaded (and DISTRESS button) and know how to use 'em. And the EPRIB is always in the ditch bag. Shipping it off every 5 years to replace the battery for $250 stinks but I do it. 2 PLB'S would cost even more.
I contend if you stay in very low risk boating areas spend your money instead on recent mfg 3-packs of Orion handheld flares on sale at West (no HAZMAT shipping) every 42 months and it would be both cheaper over a 10 year period and more effective.
This is the first expensive boating Boy Toy I haven't liked on record, isn't it?
Happy Cost Effective Boating!
John

MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
My understanding for an unregistered DSC radio is that the DSC activation will still send your position.

hardee wrote:

FIRST OF ALL, IF you install a DSC VHF radio, It has to have GPS input from someplace, either an internal GPS (of which there are becoming more available), connected to a GPS or to an MFD with GPS output.

IF that is done, THEN your VHF will send out a signal with your location when you lift the Red Cover and push and hold the DSC Emergency button. I believe that is common for all brands, (But you should check with your VHF instructions or manufacture's rep for your specific model.)

Slightly off topic here but Harvey's last sentence above is important - don't assume your assume DSC will work without an MMSI programmed until you check your manual first. Quoting the manuals for both my radios, a GX2200 and GX5500, they both say:
"To be able to transmit a DSC distress signal, an MMSI number must be programed"
This disclaimer is highlighted immediately preceding the instructions on pressing the little red Distress button.

-Mike

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSC will not work without a MMSI number. I noted on another thread, that I was involved with a diving safety protocol last week and I had recommended that the channel 16 call with an injured diver aboard should be elevated to May Day level, and DSC deployed. The Coast Guard commander in attendance noted that over 99% of vessels do not have functional DSC, because they don't have the MMSI number.

Same for the newer handheld VHF which have DSC--they also need the MMSI number.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
Here http://www.offshoreblue.com/communications/dsc.php it says the DSC function will not work without a MMSI number enabled. I don't know for sure if that's true or not.

Bob, that is why I posted the above link. In it is this quote "If you elect not to apply for and enter a MMSI number into your marine radio, the DSC features will not be functional.". With so many saying otherwise, I thought, even though clearly stated, it must mean just some functions of DSC don't work, but boat position if activated would be shown.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input, the knowledge and different prospectives are welcome.
I would expect nothing less, truly respect and appreciate this groups comments and unbiased opinions.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a copy of the paragraph from that article. Note the operative word "full" which I highlighted.

"Once you have received your MMSI number, you must enter it into your DSC equipped radio. Each radio’s manual will have instructions how to enter the number. Once this is done your radio will have full Digital Selective Calling capabilities. If you elect not to apply for and enter a MMSI number into your marine radio, the DSC features will not be functional."

The line in Italics (my emphasis) is true for Standard Horizon GX2200, ICOM M-506 and Raymarine 218. Some maunals have that info easier to find than others, had to dig in the ICOM one. I don't know if it is true for other mfg vhf's.

Sorry for any confusion, but it was my understanding that the DSC call button would put out and emergency call with position as long as it was connected to a GPS. Glad this came up, and again, learning something everyday on C-BRATS.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

letitride

City/Region: San Jose
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Limits
Photos: Letitride
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the SOS light and really like it, having said that I also will still carry flares. I also have a PLB, 2 portable VHF radios, along with loads of other safety gear..............if some-one is looking for you in the water or on a boat adrift this SOS light will work perfectly to show them "who are looking for you" where you are at night or during the day so it's a great item to add to your existing ditch kit. It will signal your exact position longer than any flare ever could.

The light is extremely bright and there are some videos online that test at night both the SOS light and a hand held signal flare at different ranges and weather conditions, the hand held flare does not have the same visible range as the SOS light at night, once again if your able to contact another boat via VHF radio, this light will help them to find you more easily.

Flares expire and I didn't want a ticket from Coast Guard that was the main reason, but I have changed my mind the SOS light has some excellent pros...and I will still carry flares Very Happy Very Happy
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

letitride wrote:
I purchased the SOS light and really like it, having said that I also will still carry flares. I also have a PLB, 2 portable VHF radios, along with loads of other safety gear..............if some-one is looking for you in the water or on a boat adrift this SOS light will work perfectly to show them "who are looking for you" where you are at night or during the day so it's a great item to add to your existing ditch kit. It will signal your exact position longer than any flare ever could.

The light is extremely bright and there are some videos online that test at night both the SOS light and a hand held signal flare at different ranges and weather conditions, the hand held flare does not have the same visible range as the SOS light at night, once again if your able to contact another boat via VHF radio, this light will help them to find you more easily.

Flares expire and I didn't want a ticket from Coast Guard that was the main reason, but I have changed my mind the SOS light has some excellent pros...and I will still carry flares Very Happy Very Happy

FYI, the LED Electronic flare is Coast Guard legal for a night time signalling device. To meet the CG requirements, you must have a day signaling device as well. That is why it is packaged (at least when I got mine) with a daytime emergency signal --> Orange flag with the black square and circle. That would probably be more visible in bright daylight hours.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: