The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Just Another Great Daydream Weekend Overnighter!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Just Another Great Daydream Weekend Overnighter! Reply with quote

OK, usual launch, Eddie Vine Ramp, between Shilshole and Golden Gardens, Seattle. There were about a gazillion little one-person sailboats racing aways out, and dang, if they weren't still there when we got back on Sunday. Full parking lot in the middle of November, I think I got the last open parking spot!

Across Puget Sound sort of southwesterly, down to Vashon Island, down Colvos Passage. MAJOR foggy, but water like glass! C80 chartplotter / radar got us through without a hitch, little Garmin GPSMAP76 backing it up...Around the south end of Vashon, up into Quartermaster Harbor.

This is one COOL place! Maybe 3-4 miles long, tucked in between Vashon and Maury Islands, very protected. We anchored off the Village of Burton, put the camperback up, and rowed the dinghy to shore for an Oscar break. Patty went in the neat little country grocery store there, and I was waiting outside with Oscar. The store lady (Sandy) came out and said "Dogs are welcome in this store, come on in!" I wonder what the Health Department thinks of that...she pampered Oscar with sausage treats and bacon treats, he was one happy puppy for sure! Sandy evidently likes company, because it took us a LONG time to make our purchase and get out of there, we now know all about her dogs too!

Back to the boat, a sundowner in the cockpit swinging on the hook, a little Roger Whitaker on the stereo ("A ship lies rigged and ready in the harbor, tomorrow for old England she sails") - it doesn't get any better than this! It was almost shirtsleeve-warm while the sun was still up amazingly. Blackbean soup and bread for dinner, and turned in early, with the Wallas going at a full tilt boogie.

Nice breakfast in the moring, then a quick run over to Commencement Bay, up the Thea Foss waterway, to check things out. They must have a law in Tacoma against putting up signs, nowhere did it say Visitor Dock nor was there any sign for a VHF channel to call, to all external appearances, they don't really seem to care for visitors there. Maybe somebody who knows the deal there can give us the straight scoop.

Then up to Redondo to check out the launch ramp there - it has been newly renovated, supposedly a floating breakwater and two floats - not in evidence this November day, however - one float, no breakwater. Might give it a try some time though. Out of Redondo, water was very smooth - running at 19 knots, covered some ground.

A bit further up, a HUGE change in conditions, encountered some pretty rough water, we wondered if a storm was blowing up - what I call "C-Dory weather!" After a little bit of a bumpy ride, back into Eddie Vine, about an 80 statute mile round trip. Easy retrieval, and back home to Fall City, just another great Daydream weekend overnighter!!!!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Opsal

City/Region: Shoreline, WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Even Keel
Photos: Even Keel
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
You are making this really difficult. We are patiently waiting for our boat. (first week in Dec?). I was doing just fine until I ran across your elegant report. Now I don't know if I can wait or not. Sounds like it was a great weekend. We will be out practicing up this winter. I think we will start with Lake Washington.
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat and Patty, Nice weekend cruise. Quartermaster is a great place, although in the summer it can get very busy. Nice thing, with our boats we can get into places to anchor that the others can't.

The Foss is in a major super fund clean up mode right now. You probably saw the Manson barges and crane/dredge working away. Every marina in the foss is impacted by this cleanup. As the dredge works in one area it forces marinas to move boats to other marinas for the work period. This is having a serious impact on number of slips that are available and marinas are not in the mood to have many visitors. When the work is completed, (I have no idea when this may be-Jim M may know) the Foss will be a great destination. You will be able to dock next to the Glass, Art, Washington State History and Working Waterfront museums, some nice restaurants and many shops and gallerys. Plus, a waterfront park that will run the length of the waterway. Maybe next fall it will be more boater friendly. Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
dave

City/Region: Riverview
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Weekend Overnighter Reply with quote

What a nice way to spend the weekend. Right now that is just a DAYDREAM for me.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your great weekend with us all --
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your great weekend report Pat and Patty! So nice to think of you out there enjoying Daydream. We had lovely weather this weekend as well and I got out twice -- once with the girls and dogs, and once to show Redman (Mike) from nearby Arlington the 22 in action. I wasn't trying to sell anything, but I think he has become a believer!

All the best,

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat and Patti, that's a fun year-round trip. I really enjoy the west side of Bainbridge and Vashon Islands. Thing is, Puget Sound blows pretty freely and can be unkind. No problem for a 25, though. Quartermaster is very nice.

Thanks for sharing your adventure.
dave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Weekends Reply with quote

Catman,
How does your 16 do in that kind of weather when the wind has picked up?
Dave
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would love to hear about other folks' favorite anchorages in the Central or South Puget Sound, we sort of favor non-urban areas, but the most important criterion is that it is reachable within a couple of hours from Everett, Shilshole or (possibly) Redondo.
Catman wrote:
Pat and Patti, that's a fun year-round trip. I really enjoy the west side of Bainbridge and Vashon Islands. Thing is, Puget Sound blows pretty freely and can be unkind. No problem for a 25, though. Quartermaster is very nice.

Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

I've launched my sled at Redondo a few times. I would not want to do it with the C-Dory. There is no protection from the weather so when the wind kicks up it can really be a nasty experience. The Pt Defiance launch is actually a very nice launch and only about 20 minutes further for us.

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, that depends on how much wind, and wave size. Generally, I run from or stay in port when it blows more than 18 MPH. Four foot waves are no problem if I'm not forced to head straight into them. Larger waves need to be quartered. I have no affection for rough water, but my 16 always stays dry, and likely out-performs any other boat its size. I know that it will take more wind than me.
dave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Daydream Reply with quote

Catman,
Thanks. I am thinking about getting a 16 cruiser pretty soon. Most of our boating is done on protected waters, but we do go out into the Gulf sometimes. I am not interested in going out in bad weather, but I am very interested in getting back if I am caught out in heavy seas. I will be going to the SBS in January. Unfortunately, we will miss the gathering on the first weekend. Maybe I'll see you at the show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: