HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wallas and black smoke

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Wallas and black smoke Reply with quote

I have a brand new CD 22 (6 days young) and the Wallas has only been operated a couple of times (successfully). Have read the book and listened to the sermon from Les and followed these instructions. All worked fine until yesterday, shortly after start up, reduced heat slowly to approx 1/2 setting and after about 5 minutes heard an unusual noise from the stove followed by black smoke from exhaust !!

Needless to say I hit the OFF button and stood over it with a very large fire extinguisher until everything was cool.

Later noticed a small amount of Diesel fuel on floor directly below the stove. Can't tell exactly where on the stovetop it came from as it may have hit parts and run sideways.

Before I go to the hassle of either taking it out or towing the boat back to Les' for a check, has anyone out there had a similar experience and hopefully a simple fix.

Thanks in advance.

Merv
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merv:

Call Karl Westerberg at 206-285-3675. He is the factory rep.

I have a very tempermental Wallas -- a number of things can happen with them (sounds like your exhaust may have dipped underwater for a second, but any number of things can stop it). Mine used to make a sound like a 22 rifle firing and I'd get a blast of fire out the exhaust (turns out there were a number of issues with the unit). At any rate, mine is back and doing the initial run right now.

Good luck!
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the advice. I will post the results when known in case someone else has this problem in future.

Merv
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Dan sure like your two pointers . Do you breed them? I take my boat 3 to 4 times a week, first thing I put on when I leave the dock is my wallas stove . I use the Korosene K1 for stove and lamps. I am on my 4gallons . Never had any problems so far , but I never shut it of and never bring the setting below 4 mainly 5 or full blast. Gary
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Gary, even down here in the south in the hot summer, rarely do I get on FreeByrd without using the wallas for something....particuarly because I love to cook while trolling around site seeing..

Bringing my wallas back to Karl and crew when I fly out to the SBS and gathering this year. Towing...vibrations, as Karl things and I have to agree, had the little fan "slide down the shaft".. From here, with lack of knowledge of the names of the exact parts or the manuals with me...I'll take a stab at "describing" the parts and my issue.

Looking from the floor up to the bottom of the unit. (not comfortable at my size vs cabinet size), the little "tube", about the size of a toilet paper tube, has a fan inside of it that has a "correct" vertical position on that little shaft. Too low and not enough air, too high, too much air until too high up and it then again goes back to too little air due to it blocking some other place. (Better described by Karl...but that is the bottom line). Too far over to the side and you sort of need to move it about a bit to keep it off the sides...but that may have only started once it originally sliped down the shaft a bit. Now, on "MY" wallace, this little fan in the tube, is held in place with a "push washer/clamp" thing. If I ruled the world, and for what we pay for the wallace, this shaft that the fan blades slide up and down on for this exact vertical setting, this shaft should have been threaded. It is not real big, but plenty large enough for a run of threads, washers, and lock nuts. In "my case"..the fan has slide down this shaft. Karl asked me to attempt to push it back up where I thought it should be... then attempt to super glue it in place. This was offered as a temp fix to get me running until I could bring the unit in for proper repair....not a way out of them fixing the problem. I did this attempt, got close to the right position on the shaft because my unit works great from the highest....just down past about mid-range to about 2/3rds down....but not at the lower 1/3 of the power... As stated nicely above, the lower the setting, the slower this little fan evolves. With my "where it should be" guess being not 100% accurate, combinded with a little more super glue on one side than the other, creating an "out of balanced shaft"... creates the poor operation at the lowest settings. So, just like Karl indicated, his fix got me going, I have been able to cook again and have heat again (just open more windows now instead of having the lower ranges), and will remove and bring to Seattle with me for proper repair.

I wonder if the new models have this shaft threaded....and what is the name of the little push-washer-nut thing that holds it in place.

Good thread.... no pun intended.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: