The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Back in the water
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorne

City/Region: Whale Pass, Prince of Wales Island, Southeast Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Persistence
Photos: Persistence
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics uploaded to the album. Every fitting was re-bedded. Bow rail removed and wet balsa core removed and epoxy applied. The forward hatch had leaked, so the balsa core had to be hogged out and replaced with plywood plugs and epoxy, the handrails were sanded and have 5 coats of spar varnish, the rear of the cabin was replaced (used almost all the original hardware), two coats of bottom paint, the gel coat was repaired and two coats of paint on topsides, two coats of paint on the interior, spar varnish on all interior wood surfaces, hogged out the wet balsa core and repaired it where the kicker mount is through-bolted and a new wood mounting plate made, new VHF antennae and a few other minor cosmetic repairs.

I was lucky to have dry, heated space with all the tools etc. . . at my disposal. Not cosmetically perfect, but ready for years of service. I'll be going trolling for kings with the four boys we are adopting as soon as the weekend weather permits.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorne wrote:
Pics uploaded to the album. Every fitting was re-bedded. Bow rail removed and wet balsa core removed and epoxy applied. The forward hatch had leaked, so the balsa core had to be hogged out and replaced with plywood plugs and epoxy, the handrails were sanded and have 5 coats of spar varnish, the rear of the cabin was replaced (used almost all the original hardware), two coats of bottom paint, the gel coat was repaired and two coats of paint on topsides, two coats of paint on the interior, spar varnish on all interior wood surfaces, hogged out the wet balsa core and repaired it where the kicker mount is through-bolted and a new wood mounting plate made, new VHF antennae and a few other minor cosmetic repairs.

I was lucky to have dry, heated space with all the tools etc. . . at my disposal. Not cosmetically perfect, but ready for years of service. I'll be going trolling for kings with the four boys we are adopting as soon as the weekend weather permits.

NICE JOB!!

[url][/url]
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on the boat--and great job on the adopting of 4 boys! Lots of respect for both!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorne: Great job on waking a C Dory from her 20 year slumber! Looks nice.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're doing is wonderful. You're doing my dream, sort of. I always wanted to move way out into the desert, never could find the right woman. And now after going overseas, you'll be in farther Alaska, without the blizzards. Congratulations and good luck with your boat (if you need any.)

I described your post to Judy and she immediately sympathized with your wife. But then, she's a city girl.

Watch out for the 4 boys. We adopted 2 kids and then started having biological ones. Try 2 at a time.

As to the pock marks in the hull, check out the pictures of the Ranger 23. If your marks are in the right place, you can leave them alone and get better speed.

Boris
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job restoring your dory to a seaworthy state again. Nice pictures of fish and boys enjoying boating, fishing and your company. "Persistence pays off" and your work is proof of that. Congratulations on a job well done.
1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
Thorne

City/Region: Whale Pass, Prince of Wales Island, Southeast Alaska
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Persistence
Photos: Persistence
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:

I described your post to Judy and she immediately sympathized with your wife. But then, she's a city girl.

Watch out for the 4 boys. We adopted 2 kids and then started having biological ones. Try 2 at a time.
Boris

When I met my wife she was living in a cabin with four kids a mile from the road, packing water in. Our first batch of kids (6 total) are grown and gone on to their own lives. She is happy working with her herbs, vegetables and fruit trees while I'm out chasing deer and halibut and pulling crab traps.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorne wrote:
journey on wrote:

Boris

When I met my wife she was living in a cabin with four kids a mile from the road, packing water in. Our first batch of kids (6 total) are grown and gone on to their own lives. She is happy working with her herbs, vegetables and fruit trees while I'm out chasing deer and halibut and pulling crab traps.

That sounds like true Alaskans right there!

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:

As to the pock marks in the hull, check out the pictures of the Ranger 23. If your marks are in the right place, you can leave them alone and get better speed.

Borris - got a laugh out of this Laughing Laughing I was wondering how well this "dimpled" surface worked for them. First time I have seen this. Before everybody goes running for their dremmel tool to start gouging out the sides of their hull though - read some of the forums on "Boat Design.net" . Lots of manufacturers have tried various ways to introduce air to break the suction/drag created by water flow past the hull. Steps are nothing new - WW2 PT boats used them for increased speed. They do have other drawbacks though + a steps exact position is critical + they are normally only effective at a given speed and hull angle(load critical). Would be interesting to see how the same hull would respond with and without these "dimples". Anyway thanks for the laugh!

Thorne, excellent job on the boat! I envy your home and lifestyle as well. I was drooling over that halibut - one of my favorite fish.

Regards, Rob

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob's mention of a step to induce cavitation reminded me of the insane OB powered dugout canoe races on a tight oval course the natives have once a year at La Push. The dugouts have a FLAT planing surface terminated by a SHARP edged vertical sternpost. Even a little curvature and reportedly they become squirrely as hell. I will search for that footage. Here is one:

https://youtu.be/w43QyIECGdE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: