The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cruising the Chesapeake Bay to Washington DC - any tips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwggideon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Cruising the Chesapeake Bay to Washington DC - any tips? Reply with quote

I am planning a spring or summer trip from the Hayes VA area to Washington DC. I have a CD-22 and have experience on the ICW (Albemarle Sound to Florida), but I am unfamiliar with the Chesapeake Bay other than what I see on the nautical charts and the Chesapeake Bay Guide Book which has info on the marinas. Is there any advice or tips anyone could offer for the trip I propose.

Thanks.
schiavolou

City/Region: Wilton Creek, VA
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Skimmer
Photos: Skimmer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned a "Guide Book." If it's not this one, this one is very good:

https://www.amazon.com/2017-Guide-Cruising-Chesapeake-English/dp/1884726216

On your way up the bay, check out Deltaville, Urbanna (up the Rappahannock), Reedville.

Up the river, St Mary's City, Leonardtown, and Colonial Beach among others described in the Guide.

Where you departing from in Hayes?

Good cruising.

Ferg

City/Region: Oak Island
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Here & Now
Photos: Here & Now
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to live in Alexandria Virginia, so we're quite familiar with the Bay and the Potomac. We spent a few weeks up there on the boat last year, and we're doing it again this summer.

The bay can get pretty hairy on occasion, particularly down near the mouth, so keep an eye on the weather.

If you have the time, I highly recommend the Maryland Eastern Shore.
St. Michaels, Oxford, Cambridge and anywhere on the Choptank are great spots. Plenty of marinas and good anchorage. Back on the Western Shore, Annapolis is absolutely worth a visit.

It's 100 miles up the Potomac to D.C., it's pretty, but no real action till you get up to Alexandria, where I would highly recommend the Alexandria City Dock as a home base. You're right at the base of Old Town with dozens of great restaurants, bars and shops. D.C. is a hop, skip and a jump from there.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We spent a summer in the Chesapeake Bay and talk about it here: Our Journey in the Chesapeake. One of Americas great cruising grounds.

The one firm recommendation is to make it a spring cruise. The weather was hotter than I would imagine Hell to be. Spring has got to be better. Of coursse, we're from the West Coast so we aren't used to the weather on the East Coast, thank God.

Boris
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Bears will be spending a couple of weeks in October on the Bay if Hurry-canes permit. Any suggestions on a launch place with inexpensive but secure parking? How does the area north of Baltimore compare with lower down the bay?
Chuck

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good place to park is Sandy Point State Park, just north of the Bay Bridge on the Annapolis side. The park fee is between $3 and $12 depending on when you go and where you are from. I don't know what the parking limit is, but we have parked there for 4 nights without problems.

You just fill out the float plan card with your information, planned route, and return date. You can call them and see what the parking limit is.

The bay can be quite rough. But also calm as a pond. The worst I was in on the bay was when a large number of boats were leaving Baltimore all at once. The Patapsco river near the 695 was quite churned up and confused. We had the prop coming out of the water a number of times on that stretch.

On the other hand, we once went from Annapolis to Cambridge on a not very nice day. When we got to Cambridge a couple of people said "You came across on a day like today in that?! I wouldn't have done it in my [much bigger boat]." I didn't think it was that bad. We even stopped and had lunch on the boat on the way.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Cruising the Chesapeake Bay to Washington DC - any tips? Reply with quote

If you wanted to do a week long cruise up in the northern section we started on the Sassafras in Georgetown launched at a marina called Duffy's. Nice ramp at that time they did not charge the three tow rigs for parking. Decent restaurant if you want nearby. Nice marina. There are a number of nice anchorages there we stayed over night at one near the mouth of the Sassafras where it meets the bay. From there we headed down the eastern shore stopped on the hook for lunch at Worton Creek and spent the night a little further south in Rock Hall at the Rock Hall Landing marina. Lots to do on shore short walk to town. Great coffee shop for morning Joe if you are not into doing your own. We continued down the eastern shore and went through Kent Narrows and on to Knapp's Narrows and up Broad creek to the San Domingo creek on the backside of St. Michaels. The homes along this stretch are unbelievable. Anchored up in the San Domingo creek and did a short dinghy ride to the dinghy dock located in a park setting without the hustle and bustle of docking on the Miles River side.. A beautiful anchorage listed in Active Captain as number 1 out the three that are listed in that area of the San Domingo creek. Fun town to walk around a nice museum there. From St Michaels we went down to Oxford and stayed at the Hinckley Boat Yard Marina. Free bikes and beautiful boats to look at nice pool town is easy walking distance. I would highly recommend traveling up the Tred Avon River plenty to see. From there we went across the bay to Annapolis. Stayed right on Ego Alley in town. Took a water taxi over to Eastpoint for a dinner out. The next day we headed a little north and took a side trip up the Severn River also unbelievable cruising. From there up to Baltimore stayed at the Henderson Wharf marina. You can walk Fells Point and the Inner Harbor area. You have to check out Little Italy as there is a crazy concentration of Italian Restaurants. Little Italy is also within easy walking distance from the marina. From there we headed back across the Bay back to the Sassafras River anchored up at the mouth for the night and then back to Duffy's thee next morning and trailered home. The fall is beautiful time on the Chesapeake. Pictures of this trip in our album if you are interested.
D.D.

ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Washington's Mt Vernon, that over looks the Potomac River, is
on the way to DC.
Rcbeach

City/Region: Ocean Pines
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: DreamChaser
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donald,

As you can see from the responses above the Chesapeake has many interesting places to visit. I have been cruising the Chesapeake since 1955 and have not seen it all. If you would like some company let us know when your plans are set and Suzanne and I will try to meet you somewhere along your trip.

Richard & Suzanne
OffLeash

City/Region: SEATTLE
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: OffLeash
Photos: OffLeash
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did the run up the Potomac in 2013 and the one thing I can recommend is to stay at the Capital City Yacht club...It is within walking distance of the mall and all the attractions. The members are exceptionally friendly and provide great local knowledge. The showers and services were great also.

They did allow anchoring out with use of the facilities at a less expensive price. Considering the location, it was not real expensive but I would call ahead and make sure the pricing is still reasonable. Also, they were getting ready to do some construction in the area and I think it could cause some issues.

One caution on the Potomac...if it rains in the area watch out for flooding or a big river wash. We were in a 6 knot sail boat and found our selves doing 12 knts in a pile of debris from upstream as we headed back to the Chesapeake.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a good rain there will be lots of stuff in the water of the Potomac. Some of it is visible and can be avoided. There is other stuff (especially after a really good rain) that you can't see and still should be avoided.

I find it takes about 3 days after a rain for most of the visible debris to dissipate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: