The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bought a new windlass recently?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob! I think I still have the template for my Horizon 600. Should be easy to compare.

Andy Ryan

Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lewmar 700 H on the C-Otter was not operating well at all when I first purchased the boat. After blowing the breaker a few times I decided to open it up. It was full of water and corrosion, the motor was slow and most bearings were shot. The previous owner (a genuine nice guy) had his boat professional cleaned and waxed every year and the boat showed it. Always professionally maintained. But who knows how they cleaned the windless? Presser washer? Don't know.

Anyway to make a long story short I rebuilt it with all new bearings, some gears, new motor and carefully resealed it. I'm also careful to wipe it down or lightly rinse it. Works great now.

If you read the Lewmar instruction book it says to inspect yearly! I will open it up next year to see how things look and hopefully only have to inspect and reseal. It's not a big job to do in the off season.

It's like a water pump on a outboard...better to check it out B4 it fails.

Much better than pulling up the anchor by hand! Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you my brother installed a brand new Lemar H700 on his 36' sailboat and the motor fried after only a couple of yrs. Due to the design, he had water intrusion which rusted the motor housing internals, causing it to die and early death. Of course this was right after his warranty expired. The design is flawed, IMO. There is no seal between the port cover and the main motor housing which allows water to leak in. He purchased a new motor, rebuilt it and sealed it up best he could. Now I'm waiting for ours to give up the ghost.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, because I anchor in deep water, and have as much rode/chain as I can keep in my locker, I'm not too impressed with my windlass, or even having a windlass. I should have put that money toward the really nice line hauler I just bought. Since I started using that to pull the anchor things have been easier.

The buoy systems are pretty great too.

I do still use my windlass, but it's a lot more hassle for me to get the rode in than just holding down the button.

That said, my lewmar 700 has been rock solid reliable in its motor operation.
Pandion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka, I'm having trouble visualizing your system. Assuming that you run your line hauler from your cockpit, how are you getting your rode back into the locker?
NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:
honestly, because I anchor in deep water, and have as much rode/chain as I can keep in my locker, I'm not too impressed with my windlass, or even having a windlass. I should have put that money toward the really nice line hauler I just bought. Since I started using that to pull the anchor things have been easier.

The buoy systems are pretty great too.

I do still use my windlass, but it's a lot more hassle for me to get the rode in than just holding down the button.

That said, my lewmar 700 has been rock solid reliable in its motor operation.

Will a line hauler handle 1/4" chain?

Fair Winds and Following C's to us all.
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, that's because I use my other anchor with the puller! The anchor on the windlass stays on the bow and doesn't leave the windlass.

I don't think I'd try to run chain through there. I can't imagine it would work all that well or be very nice to your hauler.

I've seen capstan haulers (doesn't hang on a davit like a puller, but usually feeds through a block) and similar capstan winches have a chain gypsy mounted concentrically to the capstan. If you were trying to haul line and chain you could probably make it work that way, then you'd just have to switch from the capstan to the gypsy when your chain got to you. I'm not sure how well that woule work in most blocks, but I'm certain there are blocks out there that chain will feed through no problem.
Pandion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you lower the second anchor through a fitting on the bow, and lead the line back to your cockpit? And is it an all-rope rode?
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an anchor release technique.

In a nutshell, I have a ring spliced on the end of my rode, I have a ring on my rode that gets a buoy on it, and a short tag line on the ring on the end.

I run a line from my bow cleat, down through my bow eye (do this at the dock!!!) and then back to my transom cleat. The anchor always has the buoy in case of a whoops, but basically you just put the spliced end ring through the line that is connected from your bow and cleat it down to your stern, and have that tag line clipped to the ring that you keep the other end accessible from the cockpit. The anchor will quickly head up to the bow and hold you normally.

If you want to get off your anchor and come back you just uncleat at the stern, and let the ring off. It's good to make sure this line is not long enough to get into your prop, but even better to get it out of the water after you are off your anchor. Then you are free to fight a fish, rescue a man overboard, or do whatever, and can just come back to your anchor without hauling it up and setting it again. It'll just have the end of the rode floating up with the buoy.

When its time to pull the anchor, just get the buoy, then the rode, and haul it up in your puller or hauler like a crab trap.

When I get to the chain I just haul it by hand.

It should be said that I am in a prime position to use the boat to pull the anchor by cleating that line to my stern instead of putting it through my puller. The rode will come up to the surface, feeding through the ring with the buoy, including the chain, and when the anchor gets to the buoy it will conspicuously pull the buoy under. Then you stop and pull the whole thing in easily by hand with the anchor and chain suspended by the buoy at the surface.

I just don't love the idea, and was never brought up pulling an anchor like this on a boat. I have no problem using my hauler instead.

Youtube has a bunch of videos that describe this type of anchoring. I hope I explained it a little bit.

John
Pandion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, do I recall correctly that you're anchoring in 500-600 feet of water? That sounds scary. What are you fishing for at those depths?
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats as much rode as I have, but I can't really get it to hold in much more than 400' with any current. I'm not anchoring for anything but late season halibut at those depths, and I'm always on lookout, so if I drag, or don't hold I can deal with it. I wouldn't go to sleep like that.

I really only do that in October and November. I don't really chase halibut again til February, and on the flipside of their migration, you can get at them shallower again. It's just really hard to get any fall halibut above 300'. At least around here. And better below 400'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: