2017 Great time to explore Canada's Waterways
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: 2017 Great time to explore Canada's Waterways Reply with quote

Happy 150th Birthday Canada! To celebrate Parks Canada has waived lockage fee's for 2017. Mooring fee's will still apply but there will be no cost to use the locks. This would save the captain of a Cdory22 about $200. CAD. This includes The Trent Severn, The Rideau, and several locks in Quebec. It also includes free admission to any of our National Parks.

In other great news the government has pledged $270 million for upgrading the lock system.

Info can be found on the Parks Canada website.

If any brats are tempted - shoot me a p/m if there is anything I might be able to assist with.

Regards, Rob

150 eh? seems like yesterday I was in grade 5 learning to march in the Centennial Day Parade to celebrate our 100th birthday Smile

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I was 8 years old, and was sitting on the parapet of the steps in front of the Parliament Buildings in Victoria BC, when Queen Elizabeth came by just in front of me. Of course I couldn't get to close, there was a row of red coated Mounties between us, but If I reach forward, I could put my hand on the Mounties shoulder, and the Queen was no farther than that in front of him.

Cool that Canada is doing the promotion for the parks. It would be fun to get back and do the locks too.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Rob. As for Harvey's sleep note, I fall asleep every night listening to "As it Happens" on CBC, one of the best programs on radio.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trent-Severn Waterway was one of our favorite cruises: historic locks, friendly people, beautiful scenery, interesting towns, amazing architecture on the lift locks, and the Big Chute Railway. It was more expensive cruising compared to the Erie Canal (but worth it) - this savings makes it a really good deal!

Happy 150th!

Jim
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
The Trent-Severn Waterway was one of our favorite cruises: historic locks, friendly people, beautiful scenery, interesting towns, amazing architecture on the lift locks, and the Big Chute Railway. It was more expensive cruising compared to the Erie Canal (but worth it) - this savings makes it a really good deal!

Happy 150th!

Jim

Yes, this is good news for us for sure!

We have altered our plans to head north from the Erie Canal to the Oswego Canal to Lake Ontario to Kingston and the Trent-Severn Canal, Georgian Bay and North Channel. I have this on my Navionics and Navimatics for iPad and iPhone, but will be getting the C-Map vector charts for Coastal Explorer. Everyone says this is the best part of the entire Great Loop!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
[

Yes, this is good news for us for sure!

We have altered our plans to head north from the Erie Canal to the Oswego Canal to Lake Ontario to Kingston and the Trent-Severn Canal, Georgian Bay and North Channel. I have this on my Navionics and Navimatics for iPad and iPhone, but will be getting the C-Map vector charts for Coastal Explorer. Everyone says this is the best part of the entire Great Loop!

How long will that trip take you?

Thanks,
Ken
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:

Thanks,
Ken

We are planning eight or nine months, not really sure! If it has to be longer, it can be, because we are retired!
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Bears will be launching in the Trenton, ON area around the middle or later in August. Goal is to travel both the Trent-Severn and the Riedeau canals by the end of September, depending on weather. I suspect most "loopers" like Pat & Patti will have passed thru before we get there.
We don't have a schedule. Current thinking is to launch near Trenton and go west to Georgian Bay arriving near Sept 1st. After sampling Georgian Bay we will head back to Ottawa and perhaps Montreal. Then back to truck/trailer by end of September or when weather starts getting uncomfortable.
I'm looking for suggestions on where to launch, guide books, places to not miss & etc. Also trying not to over-plan it, but be ready to stop and "smell the roses" when we detect that sweet smell. Suggestions & ideas sought.
Chuck

ken35216

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
ken35216 wrote:

Thanks,
Ken

We are planning eight or nine months, not really sure! If it has to be longer, it can be, because we are retired!

Some people do the entire loop in 8-9 months. It would be wonderful to spend that much time doing one of the best parts!! I need to retire!! Xmas LOL
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessert 1st is planning to do explore the Trent/Severn and Rideau this summer as well. Any cruising guides or other planning resources are appreciated!

Best,
C&M

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to take advantage of the Canadian promo package, and to see the Maratimes, and some of the canal systems. Other than that it is "new territory" what is the big draw. Seems like it sounds crowded, directionaly limited, and unless you are a history buff, like driving down a freeway and stopping at the rest stops.

What am I missing? Even doing the loop has limited appeal for me, and it seems like it should be more enticing, but doing it just to say I did it has no appeal. There are parts of it that seem interesting for what or where they are, (the manatee area in Florida, or the Everglades and seeing some of the wildlife, Crocs, gators or wild hogs, but even those are tempered some with the presence of snakes, bugs, humidity and skeeters.

This does seem like the year to do the canal cruising, so I am looking for motivation. I already apliied for the Canada Parks Pass.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ken35216

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I would love to take advantage of the Canadian promo package, and to see the Maratimes, and some of the canal systems. Other than that it is "new territory" what is the big draw. Seems like it sounds crowded, directionaly limited, and unless you are a history buff, like driving down a freeway and stopping at the rest stops.

What am I missing? Even doing the loop has limited appeal for me, and it seems like it should be more enticing, but doing it just to say I did it has no appeal. There are parts of it that seem interesting for what or where they are, (the manatee area in Florida, or the Everglades and seeing some of the wildlife, Crocs, gators or wild hogs, but even those are tempered some with the presence of snakes, bugs, humidity and skeeters.

This does seem like the year to do the canal cruising, so I am looking for motivation. I already apliied for the Canada Parks Pass.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sounds as if you are not easily impressed. What do you consider a good cruise?
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, there are all kinds of cruising. Not every experience is each boater's cup of tea. I didn't find the Erie Canal or the Trent-Severn Waterway to be crowded. Oh, there were the occasional nights where a particular town wall was full (or nearly so), but as often as not, we were the only boat going through any particular lock.

The boating itself is certainly not boring; parts of it can be challenging. While your navigational skill may not be challenged, that isn't what the Loop or any portion of it is all about. Interesting history - each town we passed through had its own particular charm. From my perspective, this type of cruising isn't about distances or challenges as much as it is about learning about the history of the area... the challenges faced by those who built these waterways.

You know my attachment to the Pacific Northwest, our times in the Northeast US and Canada were every bit as appealing for us. The Erie Canal was one of my "bucket list" (not crazy about that term) items, and we found the Trent-Severn to be just as fun and even more scenic.

No, there weren't any dolphins or whales; if there were bears, we didn't see any. Other than taking the Hudson River down to New York City (which was another spectacular cruise), the San Juan Islands and Victoria Inner Harbour are far more crowded, both boats and people. And sometimes, the civilization is a very interesting part of the cruise.

The adventure depends on the attitude. I totally get the interest in the Loop - if it is to "check it off," that fulfills that person's desire. But what a spectacular way to learn about the history and immerse yourself in the culture of the area. Just blasting past all of it? No, that wouldn't be my interest, but there are plenty of people who are happy to have "driven by it." Doesn't make their way wrong, just different ways to invest the time you have.

You could spend a lifetime cruising the waters of the PNW. We ran into plenty of people in our NE cruise who spent multiple summers doing the New York and Canadian canal systems. And enjoying the heck out of it.

Different strokes.

Best wishes,
Jim
ken35216

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post Jim.

Our nation grew up around it's navigable waterways. Witnessing the history our our nation, from a boat, is magical to me.

Ken
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in having other boats join them on the Trent Severn, I'd like to cruise it sometime. I ordered the Canadian Park Pass, so this might be a good year to do it. I'm already committed in March and April with the boat (which is probably the wrong season for the TS anyway.) And I may join some others on a trip to Isle Royale in August, but other than that I'd enjoy a 2 week cruise on the Trent Severn. (Actually, a few days less, as I'd look at 2 weeks from home, with a few days travel towing the boat in both directions from the Madison WI area.) Perhaps a new thread should be started for anyone planning on doing the Trent Severn, that might be open to others joining in. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: