The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New Tomcat owner with questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjohnson93401

City/Region: Pismo Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Te Atatu
Photos: Te Atatu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: TC 255 Reply with quote

Quote:

That looks like what I have... stainless railings running right into the aluminum bracket. The white paint on the bracket right around the railings is "bubbling up" from (what I assume to be) the galvanic action.

C-Dory 255 Tomcat "Te Atatu"
based in Loreto, BCS, Mexico
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there also bubbling around the ladder bracket?

No way to know if a 2009 boat has the same bracket a 2016 boat does--unless there is something distinct. To me it does look slightly different than the Armstrong bracket I had, so I would contact PDR to see what paint or coating process they used.

If putting the SS bolts in with "Tef Gel" and the insulating plates I suggested, worries you, then I would make a very short sleeve of an insulting material around the SS bolt, and a insulating washing under the Nylox on the inside. Anything to insulate the SS from the Aluminum.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bjohnson93401

City/Region: Pismo Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Te Atatu
Photos: Te Atatu
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Is there also bubbling around the ladder bracket?

No way to know if a 2009 boat has the same bracket a 2016 boat does--unless there is something distinct. To me it does look slightly different than the Armstrong bracket I had, so I would contact PDR to see what paint or coating process they used.

If putting the SS bolts in with "Tef Gel" and the insulating plates I suggested, worries you, then I would make a very short sleeve of an insulting material around the SS bolt, and a insulating washing under the Nylox on the inside. Anything to insulate the SS from the Aluminum.

Gents:

I just returned from Loreto again and got more clarity on my issues...

First, the swim step: It is a Pooderbuilt step, and the bubbling is only around where the handrail meets the step. (I put photos of this in my photo album "Te Atatu" but can't seem to figure out how to insert into this message.) There are no zincs anywhere on the step, just on the outboards themselves. This summer, when I can spend more time down there, I'll work on pulling the ladder, touching up the step, isolating the connection for the railing.

Fresh water pump: no issues this time whatsoever. Maybe last time it was just because the boat had sat unused for a prolonged period of time that I had trouble getting the pump to prime.

Spare keys for the cabin door lock: I found some blanks on Amazon last fall, cheap. Set of five blanks, shipped from Bulgaria or some such place. I had two cut in Mexico, and they seem perfect. I've got three blanks left that I'm happy to mail (free) to the first people that PM me. They are not the TrioVang blanks, they are JMA TV3D. They work.

Brennan[/img]
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is your photo of the bubbling:

All I can say is "wow" for a new boat. I would say poor prep, poor paint job and poor insulation between the SS and the aluminum bracket.

At this point. I would probably just take a very simple approach--scrape all of the loose paint off. Clean up the area stripped--first soap and water, then acetone, wire brush (SS brush) the area and sand. Spray on Zinc chromate primer, then an outboard primer, and finally as close as you can match color coat. This is not permeant fix, but should help for now.

If possible I would isolate the SS railings from the aluminum of the bracket.

For putting photos into the message: Go to photo, on the MAC click "Control" Key (I believe it is the "ctrl" key in windows machine; and select" copy image address". click the box "img" in header, then paste the address and click "img*"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: