City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
The automatic ones can also be fired manually... like when moving stuff around and the tab gets pulled...

Yep, happened today. Wink That's OK, it was due to be re-armed. I've had this one for a lot of years - wore it on the Corsair trimaran in rough conditions with the harness strapped to a jack-line.

I recall another trimaran sailor getting caught in his forward hatch (similar to the hatch over the v-berth on the C-Dorys), when the tab caught on something and the PFD inflated. Pretty sure I had a chuckle over that.. karma sometimes takes a long time to get ya. Twisted Evil

Is that your new boat?

Fair Winds and Following C's to us all.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, the only problem with all these nice electronics, are folks knowing how to use them! AIS and DSC are great tools. But I'm betting the majority wouldn't know an DSC call or AIS alert from an engine warning horn. AIS might get used a bit more if folks have the contacts also displayed on their multi function chart plotters, but are they aware of all the information that can be garnered from that contact? I'd be happy if most folks even understood the right of way rules. (And no, it isn't always biggest boat has the right away, such as that yacht that screamed by you guys.) But mostly preaching to the choir here... Rolling Eyes Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A follow up on the "Crew Saver" inflatable life jackets which were on sale at Defender. We received 3 of these several days ago. They do say"Type V PFD, count only when worn". Type III performance.

I have not checked any other of the inflatables (except the older ones we own--which are Type V).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy and Bud wrote:
JamesTXSD wrote:
The automatic ones can also be fired manually... like when moving stuff around and the tab gets pulled...

Yep, happened today. Wink That's OK, it was due to be re-armed. I've had this one for a lot of years - wore it on the Corsair trimaran in rough conditions with the harness strapped to a jack-line.

I recall another trimaran sailor getting caught in his forward hatch (similar to the hatch over the v-berth on the C-Dorys), when the tab caught on something and the PFD inflated. Pretty sure I had a chuckle over that.. karma sometimes takes a long time to get ya. Twisted Evil

Is that your new boat?

Yes, Bud. A big change from Wild Blue. Well, probably more accurate as: a small change: 16', no cabin, but lots of comfortable seating. Our use will be different: day tripping, a few hours at a time, dolphin-watching, sight-seeing. No trailering, other than to our storage unit when it comes out of the water. Simple and easy, much like making the change from a road bike to the scoots a few years ago. Or, a diesel pickup to a sporty SUV.

We were boatless for two years, but I certainly get plenty of helm time driving the commercial boats. Joan was ready for another boat... as you can imagine, we discussed a lot of different options.

Sorry to hijack the inflatable PFD thread, but here's how we're using the boat...

I haven't been posting about it here, because it doesn't pertain to C-Dorys, even though I still check in here most days. This place, like the TSBB where we first met, still feels like home.

Best wishes,
Jim
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, Great to see you here anytime, and for me too, feels like home, although I still have a C-Dory, I'm not at home as much now and this is the part I take with me, and when I can't connect, I miss it most.

Back to the PFD theme. I missed seeing it in you pix Wink

Good to see you here.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: