The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

I need slippery bunks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom on Icarus

City/Region: Campbell River, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tranquil~C
Photos: Tranquil~C
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: I need slippery bunks Reply with quote

I have read all I can find here on products one can use to make the boat slide on the bunks better.
Without going to an expensive commercial boat trailer bunk product, I was wondering if any brats have come up with an inexpensive, easy to install, home remedy for the problem of too much friction from the bunks when loading the boat onto the trailer.
I have tried using silicone spray on the carpeted bunks and noticed no difference.
I am sure there are many of you out there who have come up with some ingenious solutions to problems like this. I'd love to hear from you.
Cheers, Tom

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

I have tried the spray product, "Liquid Rollers" with some noticeable improvement, but that is with a 22 Cruiser, and there is a fair amount of weight difference.

The easiest trick is to be sure the trailer is deep enough into the water at the ramp. I had been noticing some "rub lines" forward under the bow, same lines on each side of centerline. Buffed them out, and then they are back. After consulting with another bunk trailer owner who watched me at the ramp, came up with the fix pretty readily.

His suggestion was to back in with the boat on until it floats off the trailer without any extra heavy pushing. Just untie and pull her back. Then mark the water depth on the trailer sides or someplace, and back in to there to load. The boat floats right up onto the trailer.

Hope that helps, Its cleaner than banana peels.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plastic trailer bunk wraps are as easy as you can get. They're made to fit over/wrap either 2x4 or 2x6 wood bunks.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Glide King bunk sleeves (came on our King Trailer) were the best thing I've ever used with a bunk trailer. No idea if you can buy just those sleeves, but if so, they do a great job.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a bunk slide kit a few months ago, but now I can't find the brand name or web site. My CD 16 trailer has two 2x6 eight foot bunks. I bought a liner package that was enough to cover the planks and included plastic ends. I just bought new pressure treated planks, put the covering on (SS screws were included), launched the boat, and changed the planks using a battery powered lag screw driver in the parking lot.

I have ablative bottom paint, which isn't slippery when dry. Sometimes people complain that slicks can rub the paint off, but I haven't had any problem, at least not any more problem than with outdoor carpet on the bunks. I can tell the difference between launching and retrieval, as the boat is wet and slicker coming back on. I probably could pour water down each bunk before launching, but I haven't needed to do that. As part of the bunk plank replacement, I was also able to lower the bunks two inches. Between the new slicks and the lower bunks, launch and retrieve is much easier.

Mark

Here they are. Much easier to wrap the bunk when the plank is completely off. Also, the wrap comes in a roll. I let it lay flat on the patio in the sun for a day.

https://bstrailer.com/parts/plastic-trailer-bunk-wrap-kit/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: I need Slippery Bunks Reply with quote

I slid this type on to the forward half of our 2 X 4 bunks right over the carpet. Just sent screws in on the sides on the wooden bunks though the plastic slides. They had a boat on them from coast to coast and back. Work well still in good shape.
D.D.

http://www.overtons.com/search/plastic%20bunk%20slides

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest 22 trailer came with "slicks" on the entire bunks:
like these We put "slicks" on the front 8 feet of the Tom Cat bunks, to allow the sharp bows to slide off easier.

Most "Slicks" are made of high density polyethylene, instead of teflon. But they can be very slippery. and I suggest that anyone using them, put extra strapping on the boat, especially aft. Having bottom paint seems to cause a little more "drag" on the boat coming on or off the trailer.

Many of the 25's sit between the fenders. I always tried to have the aft end of the boat floating, so I could keep the boat centered within an inch or two.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Tom on Icarus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback everybody. Keep those ideas coming if you have success with something.
Cheers, Tom
jbdba01

State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw someone at a ramp had redneck engineered some starboard strips. Effective, but a bit sloppy.

Additional full length strips (which seems a bit over the top) can be found here.

http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html

Most of the strips I've seen ran only about half way down.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpet on the two long bunks needed replacing after 10 yrs so I installed this.

https://www.amazon.com/Caliber-Bunk-Wrap-Gray-23052/dp/B0195L016C/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1480352574&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=trailer+bunk+caliber

The most difficult part was removing all the staples from the original carpeting. There were hundreds.

Tom on Icarus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good suggestions. Thanks everyone.
I need a product or application that won't raise the boat on the trailer much as there is less than 1/4 inch clearance to get the boat into the garage. I've looked at some of the products suggested and found they might be too thick to work for me. I can't lower the bunks anymore either.
I thought there might be some thin(1/16 inch) product out there that is cheap enough to replace as it gets worn out.
This may be a goofy idea but it just may do the trick....
For less than $30 I can buy some of those plastic, roll-up, kid's snow slider rug things and cut them to the width needed...follow me? They are very thin and tough but flexible so they'll wrap around the bunk and fasten to the sides with stainless screws and washers. One negative is the bright colors they come in.
What do you think of this "redneck" idea? Maybe there are other likewise ideas out there.
How much of the bunks should be covered? Several seem to think that only the front half of the bunks.
Cheers, Tom
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, You may be able to find some Polyethylene in 1/16 or 1/8 inch sheets, cut them to fit, and if you are careful, you could heat them on a 2x4 (or 2x6) form to bend over the edges and have them form fit your bunks. It is easy stuff to work with, as in cut, heat and form, and it won't likely come in the tupperware colors of the kids sleds.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Tom on Icarus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Harvey. I'll look into it. There is a plastics shop in town. I'll see what they have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: