starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dipsy's divers have their place and do work well but the fish have to be where you can get to them with the DD's. DD's work to about 60 ft max and have to have a heavier rod to do so. They are great for silvers that run from 10 to 60 ft deep. They even work well for pinks. I have used then for pinks in the river set for 15ft with a dick nite spoon.

King is the sound are mostly bottom feeds. Even the migrating kings that hit possession bar and the out side of the San Juans are deeper then that, 85 to 150 ft even when suspended. If you are only going to fish silvers and pinks or kings off the coast ( they can be good even at 50 ft off parts of the coast) then DD's will get it for you.

dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding response to my DD post. I thank you for your wisdom. We great Lakes fisherman use DD's down to 100 ft easily by using the magnum versions which can easily dive as deep as 150 when coupled with seven strand 32 lb steel line and small torpedo weights. It's a great lakes thing.

Recent studies by scientists out here in Lake Michigan found them able to achieve depths of 700 feet (verified by sensors on the gear) with a combination of deep drop reels/steel line/torpedo divers/DD's to target Kings feeding at these great depths. No one is going to do this on an ongoing basis as it requires 3,000 ft of line out due to blowback.

I fished the Pacific out of Bodega Bay, CA for many years and understand some of what it takes to catch pacific coast fish. You boys out in the Sound got it good. But I gotta say, these great lakes are something else, with their own techniques that allow us to harvest five salmonids per day of any type (only two lake trout per day). Tight lines to ya'll.[/u]

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to fish the great lakes some day. I have seen the pictures of 30lbs browns . With a boat running 10 rods at a time it must be reel fun with the school hits even half of them.
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. It is as good as it seems. I'm always amazed at the diversity and size of the various salmonids. Browns patrol the shoreline and out to 50 ft deep. They are super wary, but can be fooled with the right stealth. The Silver's run 8-12 by mid summer, and are varocious. They have adapted to the decline of the baitfish by eating everything from insects to non native gobies. The Steelhead fishery is incredible. They roam in packs out 10 miles or so and eat everything from insects to gobies. Man do they jump when they get hooked. The lake trout are all over the lake, and feed throughout the entire water column. Finally, the Kings. Well, they're Kings. Moody, mean, finicky, and hard to catch. They are declining here on the lakes becasue they only eat the suspended baitfish, which are in decline as well. Many predict that they will be gone within a few years. Doesn't matter. the great lakes has a lot more to offer. Including gynormous walleye.

You are right about the multitude of rods. Most captains run 15 rods when they have a full charter. I have a CD16 Angler that I can easily run six rods out of (were allowed three per person out here). Generally, we run two riggers, two DD's. and two planer boards way out wide away from the boat with 300 ft of 32 lb copper or leadcore, or even a combination of both. Some days, the copper lines get the most fish. Quite an experience seeing a steelhead jump 300 ft behind the boat......5 to 10 times....... per minute!

If you ever decide to come out thisaway, don't be bashful. Shoot me a PM and we'll hook up. Thight lines. Thumbs Up
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I come from Lake Erie, but never used downriggers til I got to the PNW. None of the Great Lakers I take on my boat seem to have any idea what to do with a downrigger. Not to say it's a universal thing, but I've been fishing dipsy divers, planer boards, etc for awhile.

in terms of what I'm after with this post these tools don't really do it. Yes, you can go deep, but I'm trying to fish off the bottom with a minimum of blowback, and I'd like to be able to fish a set distance off the bottom, vs, a set depth from the surface.

I'm thinking that the digitroll IV is the one for me, but not too many around. I'll keep my eyes peeled on the used market. No way I can justify a Digitroll 10 at the moment, and a Digitroll 5 with a dedicated sonar isn't likely to win either.

Honestly, I feel like there are better things for me to spend my limited upgrade budget on than a pair of DT 10 at nearly $3k, but I sure could see spending somewhere just under $1k for a pair of nice used DTIVs!!
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i finally put a new pair of dt5s on the boat so I have one set of digitroll4s coming you for sell. Send me a pm and we can talk about it. My set with come with link cable and a set of mounts with swivels. You will need a depth sounder puck for it as the I am keeping the old one on my boat, or I will buy and new one and sell you the old one.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

I sent you a PM awhile back but haven't heard from you. If you are like me, you miss a lot of messages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: