Quick Corned Beef Hash - NuWave PIC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Quick Corned Beef Hash - NuWave PIC Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/dtHlaVmZP1U

Really quick - the video cooked it in less than 3 mins . . .

NuWave - we love ours, but they have a new one out now that is considerably smaller and uses less power (3 power options) that I think would be even more boat friendly.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also use one of the NuWave convection stoves, and find it a great addition to the boat's cooking gear--especially in hot weather. However no microwave aboard.

Do you have a link to the lower power, 3 power level induction burner? It does seem ideal. We can use ours with the Honda EU 1000, limiting the temperature to 275 degrees: medium hi.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
flagold

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob: I will put this link up - but I'm not sure at all I'd buy from them - our friends got theirs from Bed Bath Beyond and it was cheaper (I don't know how much though). http://www.nuwavepic.com -- that's just their standard come on site. Our original unit we bought off of Amazon and that was more of a deal too.

The difference between the old and new is you have 3 power settings and can do all your cooking with 600 w (hi med low) so it really makes the unit generator friendly. I used theirs (very briefly) and didn't notice a significant difference in heat time between the wattages although I know there has to be. We are going to get one as well (for the RV).

Another tip: Ross's, even Bed Bath & Beyond will sometimes have those "Stonewave" pots you see in the microwave for little as $2. I think they were $20 when on TV. They work - and really work well. We even make our single serve mashed potatoes in them now.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little confused. We have the NuWave2--the 1300 watt "new" and smaller unit. The other is the 1800 watt NuWave Pro. I thought that you were implying that there was a smaller unit, which only was 600 watts. We do use our NuWave2 with the EU 1000 @ 600 watts. (Measured with the Kill-A-Watt meter). Our NuWave 2 has 6 temperature settings from low to Sear.

We purchased ours several years ago at Walmart for less than $50, which included a pan. The rest of the induction cookware cost about another $50 (two one quart and one 3 quart pots) at Target.
flagold

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On what we have 6 temp settings, they choose the wattage for each one.

On what I saw, I can choose 600W, 800W, etc. (has a button and indicator so you know what wattage it's on) and have 6 temp settings. Maybe this is not new, but it sure was to me. Right on the prices - you can do much better than that site.

You are clearly beyond me in NuWave - we bought an oven (old style) and the old cooktop - love them, but haven't kept up with the technology until the friends said "you need this for the RV . . ." and yes, I would agree we do. When we get it I'll know a lot more.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd that the You Tube shows the potatoes being first cooked in a microwave when he has an induction burner. Dice the potatoes and cook them for a few minutes on the induction burner (just as fast as the microwave) before adding the corned beef. Only one pan used that way. Always a good thing on a boat IMHO.

I've been impressed with my induction burner and a 1,000 watt pure sine wave inverter. The inverter cost more than my $50 induction burner, but the first inverter that I had was an old modified sine wave and only 800 watts. My induction burner is 800W on high and the old modified sine wave inverter would shut down or do weird things like causing the heat setting on the induction burner to beep and change from lower to higher settings. Weird. Not a big problem because I never leave the induction burner unattended. But it works much better using the new inverter.

The new 1000W inverter beeps a warning if the voltage drops below 11 something and shuts off completely at 10 something. That's 10 something when it is putting a load on the battery, so even if the inverter clicks off, the battery bounces back to about 11.9 when the load is gone, which is enough to start my engine with a low house battery (I tried it).

My induction burner has settings from 1 to 8. I've never checked to see if it draws 800W on number 8. I mainly use it on 1 and 2. 5 if I need espresso in a hurry. The inverter does draw power even if nothing is plugged into it. It is tucked away under the V berth and the LED "on" light isn't visible, so I have to remember to turn it off or I'll have a constant low amp draw and waste precious electrons.

I'm a fan of corned beef hash, but I don't fry anything on my boat. Just too messy. Boil in a bag corned beef hash? Probably not for me because of the freezing/refrigeration requirement.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
flagold

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I warm mine from frozen with the NuWave oven. 5 mins a side on the 4" rack.

If you're stuck with a small freezer you probably want to stick with canned. In that line I would look for Hereford (NZ) CB Hash - available in most markets now. Beware of the similar named Brazilian product - not near as good.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hereford+corned+beef+hash&id=B23A784241BB47128C8A468075D33340707D0C68&FORM=IQFRBA
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This type of burner is pretty tempting and we do have the power for it but I think I would miss the ability to move it around. We sometimes cook and grill on dockside picnic tables just to spread out a bit or stay safer with oil frying as well. They need a 12v rechargeable one with a built in one hour battery.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I am a little confused. We have the NuWave2--the 1300 watt "new" and smaller unit. The other is the 1800 watt NuWave Pro. I thought that you were implying that there was a smaller unit, which only was 600 watts. We do use our NuWave2 with the EU 1000 @ 600 watts. (Measured with the Kill-A-Watt meter). Our NuWave 2 has 6 temperature settings from low to Sear.

We purchased ours several years ago at Walmart for less than $50, which included a pan. The rest of the induction cookware cost about another $50 (two one quart and one 3 quart pots) at Target.

It is the NuWave Flex, you can select 600, 900 or 1300 watts. We have one coming.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
but I think I would miss the ability to move it around. We sometimes cook and grill on dockside picnic tables

A 200' extension cord is the answer. Very Happy You probably can't go 200', but I use an extension cord to get my burner back to the "fish cleaning" table by my splash well. That gets me standing head room in the "galley" of the CD 16.

Project #14 on this winter's to do list is to make the burner "gimballed" for safety and convenience. My current idea is to suspend it from the cabin top. One of the exterior handrail fasteners comes through right above the CD 16 table, so my attachment point is already in place. If the burner was hung from 4 wires at that point, like a hanging flower pot, it would stay level and the wires would keep any pot from falling off even if it started to rock. (I once had a backpacking stove that could be used inside a tent this way. Danger, danger. But it worked great)

That has been my biggest problem with the induction burner. The glass top being perfectly smooth means that you have to be careful with two people moving about on a 16. That's enough movement to cause the pot to slide. Building a traditional pot holding ring on the burner is possible, but hanging the burner with stainless down rigger wire seems like it might be easier and work better.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that you can use a silicone mat between the pot and burner to add grip for a moving boat and it works really well. I have not tested that.

https://www.amazon.com/True-Induction-Non-slip-Cooking-Cooktops/dp/B00HZ0QD68

I have also done a lot of the interior tent cooking using hanging rigs of my own design. It does work, but it a little terrifying. Especially with an alcohol stove.

If a tiny lithium ion battery pack can jump start my car, I think a slightly larger one could run an induction element for a few minutes or longer. I am just waiting for someone to build it. We use our butane stove for no longer than 10 minutes at a time.

Greg
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
use a silicone mat

https://www.amazon.com/True-Induction-Non-slip-Cooking-Cooktops/dp/B00HZ0QD68

That's too easy.

Aurelia wrote:
I have also done a lot of the interior tent cooking using hanging rigs of my own design. It does work, but it a little terrifying. Especially with an alcohol stove.

Mine was butane. They are fantastic when the wind is howling and you can cook inside. That's one of the great things about the induction burner. Wind doesn't bother it.

Aurelia wrote:
If a tiny lithium ion battery pack can jump start my car, I think a slightly larger one could run an induction element for a few minutes or longer. I am just waiting for someone to build it.

Check out some of the electric bike sites. When I was doing research, I found sites where people were building batteries using special plastic trays that hold lithium ion batteries. You just keep adding/soldering until you get the volts and amps you want. So you can build it yourself. Chances are it won't be as small as what you are hoping. Chances are it will be more expensive than you are hoping.

But there is the cool factor.

Mark
flagold

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
thataway wrote:

It is the NuWave Flex, you can select 600, 900 or 1300 watts. We have one coming.

Thanks Pat - I simply could not remember that version's name.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: