View previous topic :: View next topic  
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: clearing logs from Puget Sound Reply with quote

http://mynorthwest.com/427650/snagboats-cleaning-up-after-storms-since-the-1880s/
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool story, Mark. had no idea that that was even a process down here. Obviously they don't get them all. (Refering to the WSF Wenatchee being laid up for about a week, due to a bent prop thanks to a log.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Preston used to be moored right inside the Ballard locks (also run by the Army Corps of Engineers). They would unload the snags onto one of the cement fingers jutting upriver from the locks. We went through the locks almost every weekend back then and could see the latest "catch." Sometimes there would be an old Chris Craft hull or pieces of floating finger piers. Looking at the size of some of the logs that they brought in made you pay more attention once outside the locks.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
had no idea that that was even a process down here

Neither did I, hence I posted it. Interesting bit of history and quite the "up hill battle" IMO.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a cottage industry, which pulls logs off the beaches, along the way of the Inland passage, These are then 'repurposed. Sometimes as fire wood, but often to build structures. I have a friend who I helped with a few "snatches"--and he built his entire camp this way.

Now as to who owns these logs--that may be another story. But when pulled off the beaches, they are not going to become a floating menace down the line when the next storm comes along.

I saw some of the worse snag contamination on the Mississippi River after some very heavy rains, about a month ago...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
These are then 'repurposed. Sometimes as fire wood

Don't use any driftwood for firewood (or buy any firewood that looks like driftwood). If it is from saltwater, it can quickly eat up a metal wood stove, including a stainless steel chimney. After being in saltwater, it doesn't ever dry out properly and the salt and steam chews right through 1/4" plate. Many people with waterfront property have learned that it is false economy to heat with "free" driftwood that has been marinated in saltwater.

I have to resist the temptation every year. There it is, just laying on the beach. I can drive my truck right up to it. Noooooo, must . . resist . . temptation.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't use any driftwood for firewood (or buy any firewood that looks like driftwood).

Certainly prudent to not use drift wood in stoves if it is an issue for your stove. I used it in a SS fire place on one of my boats without any problems.

However, not all fires are in stoves--many are used to heat homes in fireplaces, and for open pit fires... So I don't agree with the admonition to never use driftwood as firewood.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on our SE Alaska cruise this spring we stopped at Port Alexander again, which is a tiny community on the inside tip of Baranof Island. This year one of the Lodge owners had brought in a portable saw mill & was using drift wood logs to make cedar shakes. Around the town we noticed a lot of the cedar being used. This particular lodge owner was not the only one going after the more premium logs around the area. From talking with the locals, drift word was the primary source of fire wood along with a source for structure building. Salt in the logs was only mentioned in that the large diameter, but very short & old logs, was still good due to it. I don't know how the fire wood was burned for heat, but there was no mention of any problems in burning it, but there might be with the subject just not coming up. I thought it all interesting at the time & next time there, I'm going to ask if they only burn it in there homes for heat in fire places. Overall oil seemed to be the primary home heating fuel with the drift wood a secondary source.

Jay

Ted Osborne

City/Region: Des Moines, WA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tabbycat
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 50 yrs ago dad used to always carry 1 or 2 spike like things with a flag on it that we would put into a floating snag. Don't remember where he got them but they become more visable to boaters and those that removed them.
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get them at Home Depot in the area that has survey tape. A simple stiff wire with a day-glow flag on it. I used to carry them and mark deadheads. The problem is sticking them in if the seas aren't calm, which is exactly when they need to be marked.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: