The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

10/14 - 10/16 - Apalachicola Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to with Apalachicola gathering, but a question for those of you familiar with Apalachicola!

We are planning on starting the Great Loop in April from Apalachicola and crossing to Steinhatchee then hop-scotching around from there rather than crossing to Tarpon Springs. So, for starters, i brought up Apalachicola in Coastal Explorer. This screenshot is not really clear enough, but looking at it, it appears that the mouth of the Apalachicola River to Apalachicola Bay is ringed with depths of zero to 1 foot. The Bay itself shows very shallow depths in most places.

I was looking to enter my route from Apalachicola to Steinhatchee but I can't even see how I am going to escape from Apalachicola! What am I missing?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: 10/14 - 10/16 - Apalachicola Gathering Reply with quote

Make sure you have all the charts of the area in your chart portfolio. Florida is much different than the northwest in terms of water depth. Make sure you depth finder is accurate figuring in your proper keel off set and that the shallow water alarm is set so t does not go off constantly! You do have towing insurance I hope.
D.D.

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I HAVE all the NOAA charts! What I am worried about is what I SEE on those charts! I need some / at lot of local knowledge I guess!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
I have boated around Apalachicla both in the C Dorys and in the 42 foot trawler which drew over 3.5 feet. No problem. There are marked channels. This is why there are the buoys. There is a channel up the bay, to Carabelle, and to Government Cut--also one going go the Northern inlet, which is a bit more difficult.

The river itself is up to 25 feet in depth--the side channels, such as where the gathering is, may have some shoal areas--and then you may have to pull the outboard up a bit...

The area between the dog leg toward Carabelle and the marked pass to Government Cut is 10 feet deep (controlling depth of ICW is 9 feet, so it is marked where the depths are shoaler.

You have to be careful going in and out of the passes. Be sure that you are sure of the buoy--and the difference between the ICW buoy and the buoy to the sea. (Hint: the ICW are marked with small squares and triangles)

See http://www.uscgboating.org/images/486.PDF Pay attention to section 5 where there is the Western Rivers, and then the ICW buoy age.

I am not a huge fan of the "Government" NOAA charts. I prefer the Navionics or Garmin. But zoom in, and follow the channels--you will be fine. With the Garmin Blue Charts, and Active Captain--there are many comments on "hazards"--One of the reasons I study the Garmin Blue charts and Active Captain each night before the next day's trip--Home Work!

Both of these show the water depths in the bay well. I do prefer the contour lines.

Boating on the Gulf coast (entire East Coast) is far different than the West Coast. Fortunately I had two years in the Chesapeake courtesy of Uncle Sam, before I brought my own boat up the ICW (draft of over 7 feet)--bridge clearance of 62.5 feet--that did present a few challenges--and some times when I could not follow the ICW. Believe me, it was a lot more difficult before GPS, using paper charts only. Only ran aground twice with the 7 foot draft--and once was in the middle of the channel. The other was when a sport fisher cut me off and forced me out of the channel--the channel can be narrow.

Consider than many boats who run these waters draw at least 4 feet--and the C Dory draws half of that. You may run aground, if you don't pay attention--(and often that means looking back on a range--as well as forward--because of currents). Also study range markers. These are very handy going in and out of passes.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL

Last edited by thataway on Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Will-C

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: 10/14 - 10/16 - Apalachicola Gathering Reply with quote

Look for St Vincent Island and go thru West Pass which is just east of St Vincent Island seems pretty straight forward. Looks like you hang a right after you get through the pass and then a left following the cable area up on the chart to the buoyed entrance. You might have to zoom in a little more.
D.D.
Will-C

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: 10/14-10/16-Apalachicola Gathering Reply with quote

thataway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to disagree Dave, but I would not suggest going West to St. Vincent's Island--way out of the way, there is some shoaling, (St Vincent's Bar--can be a problem!) not as frequently used.

Either the cut between Little and Big St. Georges, or better go down the ICW and go out between Dog and St. Georges Island. Far better way. Also would allow a stop at Carrabelle.

Steinhatchee is a good stop (about 70 miles)--but you will want to follow the buoys there carefully--and I think it can be more difficult than Apalachicola. As you go on down the coast, be sure and watch the depths--You have to swing out. The little towns are fun to stop at, and explore the rivers--this is what the "loop" is all about. Not going from place to place as fast as you can....
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why the West Pass is not a good idea. Oyster beds, shell etc--from a Woods Hole survey...
Will-C

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: 10/14 - 10/16 - Apalachicola Gathering Reply with quote

I was just looking at the depths on a chart. No problem. He was looking for a way in this seemed like it would work.
D.D.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat!
“NOTE B: WEST PASS CHANNEL: The West Pass Bar Channel is subject to extreme shoaling and is unreliable for navigation” in big letters on St Vincents Island…been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
Bob beat me posting, but I won’t change anything as we basically agree on all…
What you're missing is the proper scale.
That map area in person is a LOT bigger than it looks. Two 50-foot boats can pass abreast in that channel and do so daily. Look at that same area on Active Captain Interactive Map Nautical view then switch to Hybrid view and zoom in (with mouse scroll wheel) until you can see the Apalachicola City Marina launch ramps and parking area. Also see the tricky area East of the Highway 300 bridge where the ICW is winding between shoals. I've found using Active Captain satellite view this way increases my confidence navigating new areas. Google Earth allows more zooming in details, but you can't switch to the Nautical Chart view instantly for the same area like you can with Active Captain maps.
I've found another excellent source of local boating info is to call the local Sea-Tow office by phone (esp when they are less busy in the mornings)...they would rather not have to come rescue you from a problem area whether you are a member or not. Just say you're visiting and ask about any hazards or issues you should know about to stay out of trouble on your route. The nautical charts are cluttered with scary-looking “subm pilings”, “fishing platform ruins”, “wreck PA” which may have been washed away 20 years ago. The Sea-Tow Capt will know about that semi-submerged dredge pipeline that was just placed yesterday.
There are many shoal areas along the Gulf coast. The chart datum is 'mean lower low water (MLLW)' which is the average of the lowest low tides over a 19 year period. So the real depth might be 3 or 4 feet at low tide in an area marked 2 feet. Or, if you're there at an astrological low tide, it could be a foot lower (though rarely) than marked. The average Gulf tides are 2 vertical feet or less. Use tide charts that show the numbers above and below '0' (MLLW). (Brent can correct me here, oversimplifying for clarity).
The Gulf ICW project depth is 9 feet, but many areas get shoaled in to 6 feet esp near cuts, rivers and with storms. The larger coal barge towboats have 8 foot drafts and 10k HP props that chew right through the sand (or a large tree trunk, or NAVAID piling). They will trail a mile of more of churned up sand and help keep the trench at project depth. They may also churn up a sunken fridge, so be aware. That sand may give your impellers indigestion. The Army Corps of Engineers (who keep the ICW dredged, and who, incidentally, mark it in statue miles rather than nautical miles because they are Army, not Navy) will only dredge as narrow a trench as they can from one red triangle to the next and from one green square to the next green nav aid. It might be 1-2 feet deep or a dry sandbar right next to the nav aid piling. Dredged sand might be just outside the ICW trench/channel and may not be marked 'spoil area'. Therefore, after passing one set of markers you must draw an imaginary line with your eyeballs from the last port/starboard marker to the next one, and not drift out of those lines (the narrow channel), which is easy to do when looking ahead and not behind. Often the next set of markers is placed just within un-aided eyesight up to 1-2 miles away. Few turns are at 90 degrees like shown. Many markers get plowed down by barges. Just stay in the center when in shoal water and you'll be fine.
If you decide to go out into the gulf use 'Govt cut,' don't even consider East or West pass. Most of ICW here is soft sand or sandy mud rather than rocks and oyster beds, so most soft groundings are no big deal. We have not explored past Dog Island (where the ICW ends). The Big Bend is as lonely and long as it looks, so pick a weather window as a long fetch + wind + very shallow water makes for unpleasant chop and you can’t hug the marshy coast.

You might also want:
https://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Guide-Floridas-Big-Bend/dp/1589800729
We heard Capt Rhodes talk at a Miami Boat show seminar...cool but now dated somewhat.
Happy Boating, and have a Grand Adventure!
John

Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat , just call me and we will get you safely out of the bay . Its not that hard . Really .Apalachicola before the civil war was one of the 3 biggest sea ports on the Gulf [thats before they invented C Dorys !] There are channels that are marked and maintained by our Coast Guard Friends . I am a recovering West Coaster myself . and once you travel a bit In Fla. and the Gulf ,you get the hang of it . It looks intimidating on the chart , but its no Columbia river bar !
Don't go where the birds are standing !
Marc

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
Pat , just call me and we will get you safely out of the bay . Its not that hard . ...
Don't go where the birds are standing !
Marc

When we first brought a sailboat (centerboard) to the Tropical Tip, I had a local guy tell me: "Watch the birds. If it's a short-legged bird, don't go there. If it's a long-legged bird, you can probably go there."

I thought he was being a smart-ass, but it turned out to be pretty decent advice. There is a lot of shallow water along the Gulf Coast. The Laguna Madre (the bay in our area) is about 40 miles long... and much of it is 2' or less. Those numbers on the chart are mean low tide; our tidal swing here is generally 2 feet or less, but that makes a difference. The ICW in our area is dredged to about 14', but get just outside the channel (where the spoils go), and you are in a foot or so. To add to the fun, there is a red day mark for every 4 or 5 green cans - you don't have a "red on one side, green on the other" to run between.

You learn. First time in a boat in the PNW, I was amazed at the depths... ask our buddy Tom regarding my concern about "heading towards something brown on the chartplotter."

If you run across Florida Bay from Naples to the Keys, you will see miles and miles of shallow water and no nav markers. Having been in Apalachicola a couple times with Wild Blue, I can vouch that there is plenty of water for you to make your "getaway."
damason

City/Region: Valparaiso, Florida
Photos: CHARITY
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went into the hospital on Oct 10, surgery for a really bad gall bladder on Oct 12, went home on Sat 22.
Had complications and back in the hospital on Sun 23 for more treatment (torcher).

Came home today Oct 20. Enjoying time at home resting for a few weeks.

I know everybody at the Gulf Coast Gathering had a really good time and I will enjoy the pictures.

Looking forward to the 2017 Gulf Coast Gathering next year,

Dave Mason and Marlene

Once a C-Brat - Always a C-Brat!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: