City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: radar Reply with quote

I'm researching radar options too...
From what I've read, you can do no wrong in what you plop down in the radar path EXCEPT...don't put a GPS antenna there. It won't hurt the radar but may fry the GPS.
Happy Shopping!
John

Bill K

City/Region: Toledo
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NIC'L PIC'L
Photos: NIC'L PIC'L
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: radar Reply with quote

I put an extension mast under my GPS and it sits right next to my radar but above it and has worked that way for two seasons.

Bill Kelleher

gulfcoast john wrote:
From what I've read, you can do no wrong in what you plop down in the radar path EXCEPT...don't put a GPS antenna there. It won't hurt the radar but may fry the GPS.
Happy Shopping!
John

breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: radar Reply with quote

Bill K wrote:
I put an extension mast under my GPS and it sits right next to my radar but above it and has worked that way for two seasons.

Bill Kelleher

gulfcoast john wrote:
Happy Shopping!
John

Not a problem with newer units, most have internal antennas..

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
It's not just what the radar "sees," it is also what can see you... as in: is your anchor light still visible all around, without being blocked by the radar? Our 25 had the tall radar arch, and needed the anchor light behind and above the radar dome in order to be seen by other boats at night. The stock light would not have been seen from behind the boat.

Jim is re-enforcing the point I was trying to make. What ever is up there, the "all around light" must be able to be seen from all around so it MUST be mounted higher than anything else up there with the exception of the VHF antenna masts.

John is right too but remember, something that you put in the radar path my prohibit signal returns, so you may have some blank areas on your monitor. AND be sure not to put a GPS antenna in that path. I have had a Shakespeare mast extension with in couple feet of my radar for 09 years, No problem, no image blanking on the screen and I also have 2 GPS antennas, on the shelf directly under the radar and have had no problems with them or their signal either.

gulfcoast john wrote:
Quote:
Happy Shopping!
John

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that I may need to purchase a taller all around light or just add a tall light bracket to the back of the radar. I'll check it out after Troy at Marine Metals fabricates the radar mount next week. Glad hurricane Matthew was not worst. No power but with two generators no problem.
Thanks Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avidmagnum12 wrote:
I understand that I may need to purchase a taller all around light or just add a tall light bracket to the back of the radar. I'll check it out after Troy at Marine Metals fabricates the radar mount next week. Glad hurricane Matthew was not worst. No power but with two generators no problem.
Thanks Tom

Glad to hear you made it through the hurricane and have a source of power. It looks like you have the standard Perko all around light. You can just buy a longer version of that light that will fit the same base. That's what I did on my Tomcat to assure the all around is taller than the radar.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Avidmagnum12 wrote:
Thanks Tom

Glad to hear you made it through the hurricane and have a source of power. It looks like you have the standard Perko all around light. You can just buy a longer version of that light that will fit the same base. That's what I did on my Tomcat to assure the all around is taller than the radar.

Yup, That's what I did to clear the inflatable and to convert over to LED.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: