View previous topic :: View next topic  
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Canadian Boat Purchase border requirements Reply with quote

For the BRATS,
Is there any easy reference for someone bringing a new C-Dory purchase back to Canada? Paperwork, taxes, special requirements?
I know this is a fairly specialized question, so don't want to burden the system with trivia. Will offer the answers to the technical page, or wherever the powers-that-chat require.
Thanks,
John
www.y-landing.com
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem on the topic being here. When it is all said and done, we will probably move this to someplace it will be saved and easy to find in the future, but right here is a great place for it for now. It will be good info to have on hand.

I can't help with your questions, but I do know it has been covered on the site before, so somebody has to know something. (Guess we should have moved it somewhere easier to find, huh?) I believe it was in the middle of some other discussion, so even doing a search might take a lot of work.

Anyhow, I am sure we'll get some good answers and make a very useful topic out of it.

Thanks.

Jimbo

City/Region: Maple Ridge
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Cheyenne
Photos: Cheyenne
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Boats to Canada Reply with quote

I can give you what I know but the real truth will be when we bring our boat into Canada from Wash. on Sat. I have been told we need a bill of sale showing boat HIN and trailer VIN. We pay GST on the boat and PST on the trailer. There is a processing fee of 182.00 Should have Transfer papers for boat and trailer as well. I hope that is it, but I will let you know how it goes after Sat.
jimnsher
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TYBOO and Congrats Jimbo!
I really did search and welcome any inputs. I'm sure there are things that would be good to know and hope to compile the info and make it easier for the next person. This site is the greatest.
John
trudell

City/Region: Courtenay, Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-U
Photos: C-U
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Guy, we brought the "C-U" back into British Columbia from Washington about this time last year. The Border crossing at Peace Arch/Blaine was rather painless..... just bring lots of money !!

You will need all the paperwork including the bill of sale and the previous ownership papers of both the boat and the trailer. Make sure the boat/motor price is separated from the price of the trailer. You have to go to the Customs office and they will charge you GST on the boat, motor and trailer, and PST on the boat and motor. You will later pay PST on the trailer when you licence it in your province. ( I bought a Washington State Temporary Licence Permit to transport the unit back to my home)

Here is the funny part.... If the trailer is older than 15 years...you do not have to pay an inspection fee of $182.00. If the trailer is newer than 15 years....you have to pay the border an inspection fee and then take the trailer to any Canadian Tire Store to have it inspected. Sounds backward to me ...but you know the Canadian government ??? I guess they want all the old rusty trailers running around with no lights??

Following emptying your wallet... they gave me my registration numbers and I was on my way. Took about an hour. I note that you are a dealer so I don't know whether all this applies to a boat that will be resold in Canada. If you need more..... PM me !! Good Luck

[img]http://members.shaw.ca/tru-dell/Boat/names.gif[/img]
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would add to Trudell's message is that you will also need a statement from the trailer manufacturer stating that the trailer has had no "safety recall's" to correct manufacturering deffects. It was no problem to get this statement from EZ Loader. I can't say how other manufacturers would be. For me, bringing my 22 Cruiser home from Washington last year was no problem.Except, as Trudell stated, to the pocket book. It took me less than an hour at the Peace Arch border crossing. The funny thing though, they don't want to accept a personal cheque for the taxes. Visa, Mastercard or cash. Go figure, our taxman doesn't trust us to write a cheque! Moon
Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: