The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Another one bites the dust - Suzuki Corrosion
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bummer to be let down like that when you have taken such good care of your engine. And it's not exactly a "random" problem since it clearly must be known to Suzuki. Savings or no, I'd be hard pressed to retain loayalty.

On another note, it sounds like you have already researched this, but just to mention: I have been idly thinking of re-powering at some point, and, like you, was told that if I went Yamaha again (since that's what I have now), I'd save big bundles on the control and gauges. Well, yes and no. I *could* use the gauges I have, but there are newer/different ones now that I might prefer. In that case, it might turn out that I had limited myself to Yamaha for a reason that wasn't really a reason.

(Not that our situations are exactly the same, because since my current engine is still fine, I could sell the engine/gauges/control as a package which might be nice. But still, point being that in the real world even if I went Yamaha again I might still choose new gauges.)

As it turns out, my current fav is the Mercury CT90 (but, knock on fiberglass, I'm mostly window shopping right now).
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
Sorry that happened.
It won't make you feel any better, but Yamaha had a whole series of midsection dry exhaust corrosion fiascoes (not just Brent's engine) without good support until an engineering fix in about 2006. Optimax overheating, Honda main bearing failures, Verado emissions, the Suzuki plug etc. All outboards are niche products in the big worldwide picture and treated that way by manufacturers for the most part.
There is an interesting thread on The Hull Truth regarding how all engine gauges are a rip-off when you can extract the same or more info into a waterproof MFD (OR TWO!) for less money and a better warranty (you would want to make sure audible alarms are still sent).
Yamaha insists their proprietary network must be shielded with their one-way Gateway ($300 each alone + hubs and Yamaha wiring). As Gomer would say, "surprise, surprise!"
Best of luck,
John

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your kind words and support. This site is great and full of great people.

I've received several quotes by different dealers for both Yamaha and Suzuki. I'll be taking a looking at the Mercury Command Thrust as well and will be mulling my options this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

Peter
Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angry Sad Sad Mad Angry

If you try to purse it further, don't expect any help from Suzuki or any local or national consumer groups. We went that route and just got frustrated. This is the summary I used-

COMPLAINT AGAINST
Suzuki
Brea, CA
Complaint Letter: Yes
Share with Media: Yes

COMPLAINT DESCRIPTION
Corrosion Problem in 2005 90 HP Suzuki Outboard Engine
Unknown to us when we purchased the engine as a part of a package with a boat, there was a comparability problem with a steel bolt and the aluminum housing in the exhaust portion of our 2005 Suzuki DF90 engine. Our internet research shows it was known as early as 2003 and was was remedied in 2008.
Because of safety and reliability issues we had to replace the engine in
2014...at substantial cost... when this problem became known to us while
having the engine serviced by an authorized Suzuki dealer.
Our claim is based on WA state Implied Warranty of Merchantability, not the Suzuki warranty which had elapsed by that time. Suzuki has been
non-responsive to our specifics.
BBB in CA accepted Suzuki's original non-responsive answer and closed the case.
We have internet links that show others with the same problem plus other
pictures of the corrosion and excerpts from Suzuki's manual that support our complaint.

We went with a new 2014 Suzuki engine because of the reasons you have already considered and because we got a deal on the new engine. We have not been sorry.......yet.

Good luck.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Suzuki Reply with quote

We had a 22 cdory sold to Rogerer in Ft.Myers he had a problem with the DF 90 hp Suzuki engine a few years later , but it was still under warranty so he got a new 90 hp Suzuki from them for around $ 3800 . I would talk to them try to get something out of Suzuki moters .
I work part time at a Vo-tec marine school and the Suzuki's and Honda's always have more corrosion then the Merc's and Yamaha's? My neighbor has a 115 Suzuki and i had a f115 Yamaha ( both 2005) which I keep in the water all year and my neighbor keeps his on a trailer .My engine was so much better then his for corrosion .

BTW I sold my Yamaha f115 and bought the Merc 115 CT and its quieter and more thrust for docking and maneuvering about the same top speed and similar mpg .I had to buy a smart craft gauge,prop, and a wiring harness from merc .

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: hondas the best Reply with quote

I a honda bf90a on my flounder barge. It is a 2000 model and now has well over 5,000 hours. I depend on it to get me and my crew back each night. Not one problem with it, ever. I use it only in salt water and i've never flushed it, not even once. If it ever does stop working, which i doubt, I will have it bronzed. If you want the best outboard motor, car, generator, etc go with a honda.

[/img]

http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my covers off today and with the help of some pics off the web I found I was looking in the wrong place and my motor does have the plug. It came out pretty easy. Just the end had started to corrode. I ordered the aluminum plug and will install it after Lake Powell. Looking at all of the pictures I think all of the manufacturers have had corrosion problems at one time or another. I don't get why Suzuki didn't just replace the plug when the problem started. Mine looks very minor right now but my boat spends most of its time in fresh water that must be the difference. I'm at 767 hours right now.

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jody,

I have the 2005 Johnson 90 (same as suzuki) but I could not get the plug out. The allen just stripped. The plug was covered with the original paint which did not help.

Do you have any pictures?

Steve
jkidd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an allen wrench and a combination wrench and put some pressure on it and snap it came right out. Threads still look good and I could feel around inside the hole didn't seen to be any corrosion in there. Plug looked like this.

I pulled 2 of the anodes and they looked clean. I didn't pull the other 2 anodes because they had gaskets and I didn't want to ruin one right before the Powell trip so I'll wait till I get back.

jkidd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve
You might try taking a die grinder and cut a slot in the plug so you can put a piece of flat bar in it and turn it like a screw driver but the slot sould be across the whole top of the plug. I know others have welded a nut or a bolt onto the plug and turned it that way. Search google images for Suzuki corrosion problems and you'll find them.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jody, Those are good suggestions and good pictures.

I am curious about the anodes shown. Where are they on your motor?

I replaced the two that sounds like to other ones you mentioned. They have two bolts on the fitting that holds them and are on the side above where the oil dip stick is. These two were very corroded on my motor.

If there are two more I may have missed them.

Thanks,
Steve
jkidd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were on the same side of the motor to the right of the plug and up higher towards the top of the motor. Sounds like the other 2 were where you found them.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Suzuki products also Peter. Look on the bright side, New Motor!

Less weight!

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
I use an allen wrench and a combination wrench and put some pressure on it and snap it came right out. Threads still look good and I could feel around inside the hole didn't seen to be any corrosion in there. Plug looked like this.

I pulled 2 of the anodes and they looked clean. I didn't pull the other 2 anodes because they had gaskets and I didn't want to ruin one right before the Powell trip so I'll wait till I get back.

I'm glad you located the plug Jody and were able to get it off. I removed my plug back in March 2014 and I too used an Allen wrench attached to a ratchet to get my plug off. I inspected it and it didn't seem too corroded. Sorry it's a blurry picture but I believe the inside of my plug was very similar to yours if not better.

I was hoping 2 1/2 years ago that I had stemmed the tide. However as we now know, the corrosion still occurred but below the aluminum plug I replaced. If you look at the first picture on page 1 of this thread, you will see the corrosion was on the oil plan below, not at the aluminum plug which remained intact and no apparent corrosion on the engine holder. I hope you fare better than I did and don't suffer the same fate. Fingers crossed for you.

Peter
jkidd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess were going to find out what the difference between salt and fresh water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: