The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Diesel fumes an issue for anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Diesel fumes an issue for anyone? Reply with quote

The Ranger R-21 EC looks like a fun little day cruiser and my wife thinks it's cute and it is somewhat affordable. However, I have an intolerance for diesel fumes. Spending time loading a diesel pickup with motor idling left me too dizzy to stand and with a pounding headache for over an hour. Getting trapped in traffic behind an old smokey school bus just wrecks me. Now I would imagine that newer diesels with ULS fuel are much better, but I wanted to ask:
Do you get a strong diesel smell while operating your Ranger? Always? Rarely? Never?
Does anyone have any issues with fumes. Should I just write off any and all diesel boats?

I do realize that this is somewhat of an orphan forum at this point, but I'm registered here so I thought that I would ask here rather than at Tugnuts, as the answer to this one will determine if I have any further interest in that line.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Diesel fumes an issue for anyone? Reply with quote

In a following wind you might get some fumes. But generally running along it is not a problem. They use a water muffler so the exhaust expels the cooling water and that cuts it down some I would think. But whether you anchor out or go to a marina there will always be some diesel fumes you can't avoid. Just like the airheads at the land based fuel stations who leave their stinkpots running while fueling.
D.D.

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with W-Cee..... The smell of my Yanmar 30hp has never bothered me....it's the water muffler that stops all that..... but if you were really sensitive you could use Bio-diesel.....it smells like french fries.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice you can get would be from the Tug-Nuts. Try their web site at http://www.tugnuts.com/. Here, you're getting comments from guys with gas engines. Knowledgeable, but still gas engines.

Boris
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Dieseln Fumes Reply with quote

BillE,
The "Ranger 21 Tug" I owned had a Yanmar 2QM20 diesel engine and never did I ever smell diesel fumes while underway. Will-C mentions running with a following wind could cause fumes to raise up over the stern which could happen with any open cockpit vessel. But it would be infrequent and I would not let that prevent you from owning a neat little vessel. If you are considering a new Ranger Tug, I would suggest going for a ride before you plunk down the "freedom chips"! I would be happy to answer any other questions you might have, just "PM" me or use "N9DXC@hotmail.com".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: