The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tomcat 255 Steering Trouble
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomcat 255 Steering Trouble Reply with quote

[quote="Westie"

Last year, when I had stored my boat with the engine up and straight, I noticed that they "gave way" and were both point inwards. I learned how to use the T switch in the starboard rear to reset (or tie) the engines together, back in alignment. I know I lost a little fluid when my buddy attempted to bleed out some air. I now alway put the engines to a size when leaving up.

[/quote]

So i had a very similar issue with my tomcat that i took care of myself. One of my engines kept pointing inwards. The culprit ended up being the piston. The fix involved me removing the entire ram assembly and sending it to a seastar dealer as they wouldn't' send me a piston rod because of "liability." It's been running fine since. I also replaced the really expensive seastar fluid with aviation hydraulic fluid that meats the same specs as the sea star fluid. The advantage not only being that it's cheaper but that it is dyed red. This makes identifying leaks very easy. The fact that you have to keep adding oil indicates a leak. I also had this problem. It was due to the seals on the rams.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: