The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

16' Angler + Cruiser "Research Project"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: 16' Angler + Cruiser "Research Project" Reply with quote

Well I've gone and done it. I am know the proud owner of two C-dory's:

- 1997 16' Cruiser
- 1988 16' Angler

Now, this might seem crazy, and maybe it is. But in my experience, it's really hard to "know" a new car, house, boat, toy, or piece of outdoor gear until you've spent some time with it. In some of my previous inquiries about the difference between a 16' Cruiser vs. Angler, I got lots of great feedback from super people here on this website. But I kept wanting to really "experience" BOTH boats. I like to fish, and boat camp, and cruise, etc., so I need a versatile boat. For me, it's a trade off between the open space in the aft of an Angler compared to how cool it is to have a sleeping berth in the cruiser. These two main factors are both about equally important for me. Some have suggested getting a 19' or 22' to have the best of both worlds. The 19' is awfully tempting. But I do a lot of outings on my own, and my tow vehicle is only rated for around 2000lbs. I'm not wanting to get a different tow vehicle at this time. I also have limited parking space. The smaller boat has definite advantages for me. Eventually I need to narrow it down to one boat.

I've called this a "Research Project" - so for anyone also curious, here are my findings so far.

Cruiser Pro's
- I've slept on my Cruiser twice now. Both we're great experiences!
- I love that the sleeping berth and space underneath offer lots of easy-access storage when I'm out fishing or boat camping, etc.
- I like the cruiser seats better, more comfortable.
- I love the storage compartments under the seats
- Better for taking out 2-3 other people.
- I like the extra ceiling height in the center aisle.

Angler Pro's
- I love the open space, when I'm outdoors, I like to be "outdoors".
- When fishing, it's easier to see where I'm going drifting/trolling.
- I like how it looks slightly better than the cruiser.
- It seems to handle a little better / plane a bit easier.
- With a soft top, it can easily convert to have the same amount of enclosed "interior space" as a cruiser.

Also learned,
I prefer a roller trailer to bunk trailer, I like to launch in some rough places.

CONCLUSION:
Although I will be doing further research, my current idea is to convert my Angler into a bit of a "Hybrid". Like this:

(1) I'd like to remove the port side 2/3rds of the bulkhead and build a padded platform similar to the cruiser, but not as long. Storage underneath.
(2) I'd like to swap out the original pedestal seats for "seat boxes" with storage like the cruiser has.
(3) I plan to devise a way for the short berth to extend out over the port seat box (seat easily removable) to convert into "sleeping mode".
(4) Get a custom convertible top that can enclose all or part of the aft open space.

Anyone ever done anything like this?

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow James, congrats! You've been holding out on us!
The mods you are planning for the Angler sound similar to what I also wanted to do, but shoot, if I had had a cruiser I'd probably instead be looking to keep that and make some of the changes others have done to move some weight forward and free up space in the cockpit. For example what Mark has done on his Limpet moving the batteries and fuel forward, giving handling characteristics more like the Angler while gaining a lot of space under the splashwell. Looks like your cruiser already has a camper canvas too, and those are not inexpensive!

I ultimately chickened out on making mods to my 16 Anlger, one minor reason was fearing how it might impact resale value should I ever decide to sell, which is a real possibility. But since you have both boats maybe you have the option of swapping the bits and pieces of each that you like the most, for example using the box seats and the helm from Cruiser on your Angler, and moving over that bow rail and anchor roller you were previously looking for! But darn, that cruiser is NICE (and 9 years newer!) so personally I'd be trying to make that boat the keeper, but that's just me and I'm more into cruising than fishing.

I certainly do hope you share photos of your progress if/when you proceed with the changes, I think that would be a sweet layout for a 16 Angler as a solo pocket cruiser!

-Mike

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, go to the Album page and on page 2 are pictures of one of the 16 anglers I "remodeled". "Alyssa Jean" is the name of the boat. I took out the whole bulkhead other than what the helm and other gauges are on. There is an album within the Alyssa Jean album that has a series of pictures of the project.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep reading this over and over and what I take away is that you want to turn your angler into a cruiser. But you already have a cruiser which is over 10 years newer than the angler. I agree that "[the angler] looks slightly better than the cruiser", but other than that, I don't see it. Sorry to be such a downer but I've had them both and miss them both. Even though I sound like an old grouch, you are welcomed "on my lawn" anytime, You're a lucky guy.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood: You're not crazy. You're spending money on your hobby. I'm on my 3rd CD in 12 months. You gotta catch up.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Marco Flamingo

C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CD 16 Angler looks better than the Cruiser? I always thought that the Angler looks like the poorly balanced budget version of the Cruiser. Smile

But seriously, an additional three square feet in the cockpit turns a CD 16 Cruiser into an Angler? What if you're an angler, like me, that wants to stay out 5 days? And take my wife? More accurately, one version is an Angler and the other is a Cruising Angler.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Two great boats Reply with quote

Sounds like you have it made with two boats. But if you only want one boat which I understand I would modify the Angler for better sleeping because the cruiser does sleep well. If you have a tent you like on your angler all you need is a better sleeping arrangment. I dont know how you manage two people for more than one night unless your really in love. My wife says shes been happily married for 27yrs and out of 41 thats not bad. I've stayed out two weeks so far and in a week or two I'm going out to break that record by a fair ammount. I've spent the last three yrs detailing and my Cruiser and it is from Heaven. This incredible sight sure has played a major part in making it happen. All the best with your planning just go forward and get on with it theres not enough time o fool around enjoy your self Wink
jimicliff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Two great boats Reply with quote

Sounds like you have it made with two boats. But if you only want one boat which I understand I would modify the Angler for better sleeping because the cruiser does sleep well. If you have a tent you like on your angler all you need is a better sleeping arrangment. I dont know how you manage two people for more than one night unless your really in love. My wife says shes been happily married for 27yrs and out of 41 thats not bad. I've stayed out two weeks so far and in a week or two I'm going out to break that record by a fair ammount. I've spent the last three yrs detailing and my Cruiser and it is from Heaven. This incredible sight sure has played a major part in making it happen. All the best with your planning just go forward and get on with it theres not enough time o fool around enjoy your self Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jimicliff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Two great boats Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take those two 16 footers and bolt them together athwartships into a catamaran, then you'll have enough room to fish, cruise, sleep, crab, shrimp, cook, shower, or just lollygag around until your heart's (and your wife's, too) is content.

OR

Bolt them together transom to transom into a double-ender for much the same effect.

OR

Stack 'em up, one on the other, into a double-decker boaterhome on one trailer for some dry camping and endless round-the-clock question answering.
You could also then become a Scout Master and take the entire troop of 15 ten-year old boys on a week-long camp out in the Okeefenokee Swamp.

Good Luck on however you solve your dilemma!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Jackie

City/Region: Ketchikan
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Lil' Bit
Photos: Lil Bit
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To echo what everyone else has said "Wow!" I like your list of pros for each boat. This will be an interesting experiment to watch.

Although your Cruiser is so much newer I can completely relate to you loving the fishing room and wanting to make the Angler a bit more cruiser-ish. I finally got out actually fishing on my cruiser this weekend and have to say it was a bit claustrophobic! I can't imagine fishing three people on it. That little bit extra room on the angle would be perfect.

However, I wanted a boat I could sleep on and cruise more than fish. I spent the vast majority of the summer down south and not boating. I think it will be perfect for what I want, I just need to hurry up and retire and get to using it!

Post lots of pictures of whatever mods you make. I learn so much from the photos and explanations on this site.

Jackie
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: Take a peek at the C-Brat logo at the top left of every page. That should make it clear what my favorite is. Mr. Green

My short/sweet input:

- With a few tricks and minor conversions, you can get the majority of the cruising comforts of a Cruiser on an Angler

- The reverse is not really true; the Cruiser will always be the lesser craft when it comes to fishing/crabbing. There's no way to increase the cockpit size, which is the primary reason the Angler is so good for these activities.

- Everything else being equal, the Angler is better balanced

- There is no finer looking C-Dory than a 16 Angler

I always get in trouble when I mention that last one, but I can take the heat. Razz

Jackie

City/Region: Ketchikan
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Lil' Bit
Photos: Lil Bit
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Da Nag, they are both pretty cute to many people. When my son and I were fishing this weekend a big, nice charter boat passed us in the opposite direction. My son said "look, she's taking pictures of us!" referring to a woman on the back. He happily waved, but when she was still filming after several minutes he was confused about what the big deal was. First time he'd experienced that CD 16 'cute' factor!

Jackie
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:
Disclaimer: Take a peek at the C-Brat logo at the top left of every page. That should make it clear what my favorite is. Mr. Green

My short/sweet input:

- With a few tricks and minor conversions, you can get the majority of the cruising comforts of a Cruiser on an Angler

- The reverse is not really true; the Cruiser will always be the lesser craft when it comes to fishing/crabbing. There's no way to increase the cockpit size, which is the primary reason the Angler is so good for these activities.

- Everything else being equal, the Angler is better balanced

- There is no finer looking C-Dory than a 16 Angler

I always get in trouble when I mention that last one, but I can take the heat. Razz

You da man with a good eye for a beautiful little -sea going Dory. However, to change the subject- are you also the man "contact" for getting a C-Dory ball cap?

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
Catman

C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag, once again you're right! This time it doesn't pain me to say that. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: