Frontriggers!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Frontriggers!!! Reply with quote

I fish halibut more than anything, and have been content to fish 3 rods from my 22 Crusier, even if I had more anglers on board. It just ends up getting lines fouled and lots of trouble if you go for more.

But yesterday I took 3 other guys fishing and I set up the cockpit with a rod off each side and one down off the transom (a garelick motor bracket makes a good rod holder!).

But then I got antsy and started fishing from the bow. After I hooked a few and was made a couple trips back to the cockpit to fight the fish while hooked up I thought that this would surely kill me if made into a habit.

Then we started talking about it, and before I knew it I was in the leader making gear (we leave it on the table and call it the "Arts and Crafts Station") and poaching the clips from my downriggers.

Within a few minutes I had a mono anchor on my bow rail that had a downrigger clip on it, and me and my rod safely in the cockpit. I hooked up that way twice. You can even jig if you get a feel for it and set your clip tension pretty tight.

This would be easy to duplicate on the other side and fish a total of 5 rods, but you would need to move the clips out a bit... I'm thinking just a clamp-on stainless steel bar.

It's been an issue since I got the boat and I often find myself wanting a bigger boat often just to fish more rods.

Anyway, it was a pretty cool night and a pretty great discovery!!
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought of using a balloon to move your weight off the rear of the boat? Rod on the roof rod racks and the balloon 50 yards off the stern??
Lollygaggin

City/Region: Kelowna
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you Kush. Good thinking. I'm stuck up here in Prince Rupert while my trailer is waiting for parts and I here the halibut fishing is great in these parts. If you could post a few pictures of your idea it would be great. I can't quite picture the concept and would like to give this a try while I'm here and have nothing to do for a while.
Thanks and best regards,

Chris
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
Have you thought of using a balloon to move your weight off the rear of the boat? Rod on the roof rod racks and the balloon 50 yards off the stern??

I've done that, but what I end up doing instead is staging my gear aft to forward according to blowback. So I have heavy braid, big hooks and light weight on my single down rod in back, then I have smaller line and medium size weights in the cockpit, and used heavy weights on the bow. That kept things spread nicely.

I have nothing against balloons. Maybe I'll give that another go! Thanks for the nudge!

Chris, I'll post some pics soon. My parents are arriving tonight for a visit with my nephew, so a stop at the boat is pretty much assured, unless we decide to go chase the coho down the river.

Either way, it shouldn't be more than a day or two.
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was typing my last message, I realized that what I need to get this done is to mount some telescoping trekking poles to a hinged mount like a VHF antenna mount. And they are made out of aluminum. Then I can adjust length and angle. Oh man!! This is getting better all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: