The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Installing extended Bow Roller? Which ground tackle rig?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I modified my stock bow roller to make it self-launching. I wish that I would have replaced it with a hinged roller when I had the hardware off and the front bulkhead removed this winter. I've used those in the past and don't know why they are not standard. For a few dollars more, they make almost any anchor self-launching. The exception, unfortunately, might be the Fortress anchor, which can be too light to pull the chain out.

That was my basic problem when using a Fortress. So what I did was add "cheeks" to the front of the roller. The bottom of the roller has flared "ears" about two inches long. I pierced the "lobes" of the ears and added 2" round discs. This made the anchor draw up tight 2" further out from the roller, which was enough to make a light fluke anchor self-launching.

All that said, I wasn't as happy as I thought I would be with the Fortress as my main anchor. Reason is that I was anchoring in shallow areas with large amounts of dulse, kelp, sugar wrack, etc. on the bottom. The fluke type anchor doesn't have the weight to get through dense vegetation. On my last morning on Quatsino Sound, I pulled anchor and am quite certain that my hold was based entirely on the anchor and rode fouling around the vegetation. Not a speck of mud on the anchor and a wheel barrow full of sea weed.

I just bought a Vulcan. What a difference. The 4kg fits the roller perfectly (although the 4kg is only big enough for the CD 16). Even the next larger Vulcan might fit the 15" roller. Because of the shank angle when in draws tight, I don't think the larger size would hit the deck when pulled in with a capstan.

It's a vicious looking piece of equipment that might scare away the kelp.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Major Tom

City/Region: Saratoga Springs
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Major Tom
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea on the "cheeks", I'll have to remember that if I need it.

Yeah, I debated a bit on getting the self-launching roller, but when I got the Manson Supreme, even though it's supposed to be self-launching, my tests in the driveway showed me it may occasionally not launch. If I'm going to the trouble of installing a windlass, I want it to work virtually every time.

The Vulcan looks like it means business. Haven't tried my Manson yet. I think either of those, when properly set, will allow a worry-free night's sleep.

PS I found a cool little anchor/drift app for my phone, it's called Anchor Lite (free)... so far in my dry land tests seems to work great. A nice backup to the gps/chartplotter.

1987 Checkmate Enticer (sold)
1986 Sea Nymph (sold)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: