The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Question: roof rail diameter 16' Cruiser?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMcD

State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Photos: DMcD
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Question: roof rail diameter 16' Cruiser? Reply with quote

I won't be able to go to the marina and actually measure until the weekend, but I want to order some fittings to make a roof rack for some kayaks. I found some nice clamps at McMaster-Carr but need to know the rail diameter.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#2534t21/=13dactn
island andy

City/Region: rochester hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMcD,
If you have kayaks, you probably have a roof rack............or several........for cars. For my 22 Cruiser, I just used old Thule racks with the feet which clamped on rain gutters. No modifications needed, and they are secure. I have transported a kayak, lumber, a prehung entry door and more.
Now, credit where credit is due - I got that idea from this Forum which has answers to most questions. Except maybe rail diameters, which I couldn't find when I discovered the idea of repurposing roof racks.
andy

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until someone with a 16 responds (I don't know if the rail diameter is the same), I'll just say that on my 22, the rails are 7/8" diameter.
spuncopper

City/Region: Camden/ Lake Wateree
State or Province: SC
Vessel Name: Sock Monkey
Photos: Sock Monkey
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: handrail dia Reply with quote

Hey,

I have a 2007 16 ft cruiser and the handrails on the roof are 7/8 inch. I would add, be careful of any weight put in the roof of the 16 as it will compromise your center of gravity and it is "lively" enough as it is.

Good luck and safe boating.
Spuncopper
DMcD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: repurposed car roof rack concerns Reply with quote

I just have one that fits the gutters of my car, but it doesn't look like it would work on the 16' cruiser.... the roof is more curved and has a head-room hump in the middle. I don't think the posts of the roof rack will be tall enough to keep the cross-bar off the center of the roof.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMcD,

Check out how I made my stainless steel to of rack last year. Full disclosure, I "borrowed" the idea from a few very talented C-Brat craftsmen. The use of Taylormade flag holders was perfect but also very expensive. It looks like your McMaster-Carr solution looks like a great alternative.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: handrail dia Reply with quote

spuncopper wrote:
Hey,

I have a 2007 16 ft cruiser and the handrails on the roof are 7/8 inch. I would add, be careful of any weight put in the roof of the 16 as it will compromise your center of gravity and it is "lively" enough as it is.

Spuncopper

Amen -- bother -- I have the 16 Angler and in no way would I put anything but light duffle on the roof. These boats become tender very easily.

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: handrail dia Reply with quote

Blueback wrote:
spuncopper wrote:
Hey,

Spuncopper

Amen -- bother -- I have the 16 Angler and in no way would I put anything but light duffle on the roof. These boats become tender very easily.

I'll third that recommendation, mainly because you are a new member and there's the possibility you are a relatively new owner of a 16? If so, I'd recommend getting some time on it in some bigger seas before putting extra weight up on the roof - you could find yourself in trouble fairly quickly if caught out in unexpected weather, as I was just last weekend...can't imagine if there had also been a kayak up on the roof in that stuff!
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will "forth" putting nothing on the roof of a CD 16, although I did put a flexible solar panel up there (2 pounds). Also, the scaffold connectors are cheap because they are steel. They would probably last for awhile in fresh water, but as soon as they start to rust they might cause some rust streaking on your gel coat.

There are some activities that are incompatible with cruising in a C Dory 16. Having a kayak on top would be one of them. I always wonder when I see an RV driving down the road, pulling a Jeep, with kayaks, lawn furniture, aluminum boats, and bicycles strapped all the way around, whether they really get enough enjoyment from those all those toys to make it worth the effort. It seems that one toy at a time might be more fun. That being said, I have enjoyed taking my folding bike with me (in the cockpit).

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
I will "forth" putting nothing on the roof of a CD 16, although I did put a flexible solar panel up there (2 pounds). Also, the scaffold connectors are cheap because they are steel. They would probably last for awhile in fresh water, but as soon as they start to rust they might cause some rust streaking on your gel coat.

There are some activities that are incompatible with cruising in a C Dory 16. Having a kayak on top would be one of them. I always wonder when I see an RV driving down the road, pulling a Jeep, with kayaks, lawn furniture, aluminum boats, and bicycles strapped all the way around, whether they really get enough enjoyment from those all those toys to make it worth the effort. It seems that one toy at a time might be more fun. That being said, I have enjoyed taking my folding bike with me (in the cockpit).

Mark
For those that have owned the 16 Dory for some time we all have an experience that has taught us about keeping the CG as low as possible and to not overweight the stern either. My experience was on the Fraser River which, at the time, was calm and my adult son decided to sit up on the cabin roof with his feet on either side of the hatch for select view of river activities. A large tug going up river threw up a considerable wake and I was not concerned as I knew it was easily handled by Blueback. Well it scared the crap out of me, as we rolled over so far I thought he was going overboard - or the vessel was going to turn over. This was a lesson I will never forget. BTW he weighted about 160lbs.
DMcD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: dire warnings to put nothing up top Reply with quote

I appreciate the advice, but some of it is making me nervous.

We are using our 16' Cruiser on an inland lake. Why should I be overly concerned with CG shift? Is a 50 lb kayak on the roof really going to cause me to capsize?
spuncopper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: handrail Reply with quote

Hey DMcD,

Fifty pounds? Even on an inland lake fifty pounds on the roof of a CD 16 cruiser would make it squirrely. I use mine on Lake Wateree here in SC, an inland lake and I wouldn't put fifty pounds on the roof.

Here's a suggestion for you before you expend the funds on a roof rack. Take a soft sided suit case or duffle bag and pack it with something totaling fifty pounds. Secure it on the roof of your CD 16 and take it out, you'll get a feel on how it will handle.

I would suggest a tow bridal.

Good luck, Spuncopper
spuncopper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: handrail Reply with quote

Oops, that should've been bridle... :lol:
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMcD,
Consider that the 16 owners are a diverse and experienced group. I doubt that any would feel that at rest in calm waters that the 50 + lbs (rack, Kayak, paddles etc) would cause a capsize. But it does change the dynamics of handling when under any way, even slow speeds. Add in that weather can change rapidly on any inland lake, and when 40 knots of wind, and 2 foot seas, come along--and it does not take much fetch, for that to happen, things can go wrong very quickly. You can argue that you never go out in predicted bad weather. I live where I can see Alabama from my front door, and things go bad very rapidly on Perdido Bay, sort of a small "lake"- where I have made a number of rescues in a boat far more capable than the C Dory 16.

If I was in your "shoes" /boat; I would tow the kayak for some time and see how things go.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 lbs kayak plus whatever weight of roof rack...earlier in thread there was talk about using or adapting a standard car roof rack...I have a small Yakima that was from a civic hatchback and it is definitely no leightweight!

Have you considered inflatable kayaks? I often carry an Advanced Elements deflated in the cockpit of my 16, it's easy and quick to inflate across the back deck, very seaworthy, and fast enough to explore any area I anchor out at, even with tides (it is only 11' so you do have to watch the tides/currents, but they also make longer models, and you wouldn't worry about tides anyway on your lake).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: