The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lake Powell 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: On the Lake starting from July 20th to August 2nd or 3rd Reply with quote

Hi all,
We are house boating on Lake Powell starting Wed. July 20th thru August 3rd. We will have an 11 foot Boston Whaler as well as the houseboat. We are starting at Wahweap and will not move the big boat too far. You can reach us at our email bobjarrard@gmail.com or by cell at 714 686-2728 for sure till we leave from Boulder City, Nevada and hopefully at times on the Lake. Come on over and visit for a spell if you can. All C-Brats are welcome to come see us here in Boulder City, we are only 10 minutes to the the Lake Mead launch ramp and a minute longer to the dam. We have lots of off street parking for your rig, the side yard is 24' by 44' in concrete, we have a pool and we can give you water, sewer dump and 20 amps of AC.
Bob and Kyung Jarrard
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well... I know I started this particular thread, hoping to get back to Lake Powell in October, but as things go, this year will have to be a pass for us. Too many other things in the fire and the timing just isn't going to work for us. Hope the gathering will continue in 2017, and perhaps we can make that one work out. Colby
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Just got back from two weeks on Powell Reply with quote

HI all, just got back from a two week trip to Lake Powell on a small houseboat. Really had a good time. It was hot at times, we had a hard rain one night but one thing for sure, the other boat and PWS wake are a pain. I ran 100 miles up and back to Rainbow Arch in a small Boston Whaler and really got a work out. Best gas prices off Lake were in the Indian reservation on the highway between Hurricane and Wahweap - $2.22 for regular. Bought no gas from the gas dock but the gas at the station landside in Wahweap was $2.68 or so, not all that bad. I used dry ice (8 pounds or so) on top of my block ice and got 8 days out of the first loading of the chest and 6 days on the second partial reload. It really is nice to not have most of your chest be full of ice blocks. Water level is down so maps are hard to use as most show the lake at full pool, for sure it would be nice to have a flying bridge and only move into the coves with good sun at your bask or overhead. Water temp was fine and once adjusted to the daytime temps, they were OK also. Happy boating!!!
Bob Jarrard
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'll be going to Lake Powell. I'm driving down through Ashland, OR on Sept. 9th. My wife has to be back to work on the 26th, so that kind of dictates where we put in/take out. She will fly back, and the fastest/cheapest nonstop flights are out of Las Vegas. 2 hours and $150 to SeaTac. Vegas has cheap rooms and cheap meals so it's an okay place to spend a night.

The plan is to leave the boat and trailer at Wahweap on Saturday morning, drive through Brice Canyon to Vegas (a 2 hour detour added to a 5 hour drive, but worth it). Spend the night in Vegas. Sunday, Beth goes back to Seattle and I go back to Lake Powell. I suppose that I could pull the boat and put in somewhere else, but it looks like it would be faster by boat to the north end of the lake than to trailer to a different put-in.

To do list: (and Brats probably have some of the answers).
1. Make sure that parking at Wahweap isn't a problem.
2. Make a list of stuff to see.
3. Make a list of books to read.
4. Check my Navionics chip to see if I'm happy with the detail it provides.
5. Check those wheel bearings.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parking shouldn't be a problem.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. Rainbow National Bridge and Dangling Rope Marina. And all the scenery between when you put in and when you take out! Cool Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The plan is to leave the boat and trailer at Wahweap on Saturday morning, drive through Brice Canyon to Vegas (a 2 hour detour added to a 5 hour drive, but worth it)

I suspect that you mean Zion Canyon; Bryce Canyon you cannot drive thru, and it is more than a 2 hour detour getting to Vegas. But if you want to take a side trip on the way down to Wahweap, Bryce is definitely worth it. (We take 89 from Seiver, Ut. to Page) However, I am not sure how you are going from Ashland Or. Most likely you will go thru Hurricane and Kanab and not near the Bryce canyon part off 89.
Bryce canyon requires both driving to a number of locations on the rim, and also hiking into the canyon. There are campgrounds there where you can stay. Sunrise and sunset are times to be at the canyon.

There are restrictions of private vehicles driving into Zion canyon itself.

From the NPS web site:
Quote:
Can I drive my private vehicle into Zion Canyon?
A. From April to October access into the canyon is by free shuttle bus only. Private vehicles are allowed to access the canyon from November to mid March.

Both ways to Vegas are scenic: We normally go back on 89 to Kanab, then down to Fredona on Alt 89, then 389/59 to Hurricane, and thus to I 15. This is a nice Scenic drive.

I can send you my Powell books and maps, for the cost of postage, and you send them back after your cruise. (My son may want them in future years for his 25). The "Boater's Guide to Lake Powell" is the Essential. So is the "Stan Jones map". There are several other "fishing maps, of North and South. I also have some topo maps which help. Each year I have read a book on the history--such as exploration of the Colorado River, The Padres, the Mormons, the outlaws, history of settlement and development of Glen Canyon. It gives a different dimension of what the canyon is like.

Navonics on I pad is as good as it gets (Garmin is also fine), as are C maps, Ray Marine. "Most of the boating is visual--the rocks show up as light color, just as sand does in the tropics.--just don't hit one...
Also if you see bushes sticking up--don't go there...Count the mile markers (in statute miles)--Binoculars are a good nav aid. There are shortcuts which C Dorys can take because of the shoal draft, but you have to have local knowledge--or follow a boat with local knowledge. Even the Rangers don't take short cuts! Make the bearings to the next marker, or spot it with the binocs.

I think that each canyon has something to see. My favorite is little Oak Canyon. Good hikes. get way back up. On the San Juan Arm, the petroglyphs at Cha Canyon are worth the trip up the trail. Upper lake, above Bull Frog, is Forbidden canyon and the cliff dwellings. Up Esclante Arm, is Cathedral in The Desert. Iceberg Canyon has several great campsites up near the head. One feature is full Sun only about 3 hours during the day (it gets hot in the Sun),

Dangling Rope has supplies (limited) fuel, water and the worlds worse ice.. CoolSmile

Fred's Liquor in Page web site has a lot of information on places to go and see. Also place to get lures and fishing license. This is in Page--good place to stock up at the Walmart.

If possible take the Castle Rock cut off--Antelope Canyon is longer, and can get pretty choppy with houseboat wakes. Also the main lake can get really rough during a storm. Get into a protected canyon, with good holding ground--but not in a slot canyon, or under any rocks which may fall during a thunderstorm.

Parking, overnight should not be a problem. Longer terms, I would check with the rangers--often they are not at Wahweap--but you have to try and contact someone in the district office in Page.

Have a great time--don't try and do too much--take your time--it is not a place you can see all at once! I believe we have been there about 14 times--and still there are areas we have not really explored--we have friends who have been there twice as many times, and they feel the same.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to spend a couple of days in Ashland, then south on I-5, cut over to Susanville, Reno, and probably US-50 to St George.

Sounds like there is plenty to do in the south end of the lake. Maybe get as far as Dangling Rope for fuel and leave the upper part for another time. I'd like to avoid party barges and PWC (Personal Wanker Craft), but that's probably difficult based on the YouTube stuff that I've seen. Are the crowds thinner around Dangling Rope or is the lake uniformly saturated?

Yes, Zion is the one I was thinking of. I'm planning on leaving the trailer behind at Wahweap when I drive my wife to Reno for her Seattle flight. We would be going through Zion with just the Santa Fe. I haven't decided what to do when I get back to Wahweap.

Bob - Thanks for the offer on the materials. I'll look them up online and decide if I need/want my own personal copies. I bought my first book already. Ghosts of Glen Canyon. It's all about what's now underwater at Lake Powell. Kind of bittersweet reading. Now I need to read something uplifting about what's left.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
II'd like to avoid party barges and PWC (Personal Wanker Craft), but that's probably difficult based on the YouTube stuff that I've seen. Are the crowds thinner around Dangling Rope or is the lake uniformly saturated?
Mark

Not only the PWC, but some of that crowd has moved up to Wake board boats--some of which are operated in the same style!

The advantage of any C Dory is that they can get back further, use shoaler water and use less space on a beach...But in early Sept the lake will still be fairly crowded. The closer to civilization, the more crowded--but sometimes you can find a great place in Gunsite--one of the first canyons. Last year, we saw only 4 other boats (and a flotilla of PWC) when on the San Juan--but I believe that was because of the "potential contamination". There were plenty of isolated place up there...but it may be a bit further than you want to go.

I would go up as far as Oak Canyon--although there is plenty to see on the Way to Dangling Rope. See if you an find a beach on the North East arm. Both that area, and Rainbow bridge are above Dangling Rope, by a few miles. We have used Dangling Rope as a place to go back to for fuel, ice, water and dump trash...Porti Potty dumps are on floating barges through out the lake. (Including Oak Canyon)

I would agree with the wisdom of launching at Bull Frog area for the upper lake.

Since you will doing the "Hurricane to Kanab" drive, then going up thru Zion is worth doing. There can be delays at the tunnel--Any vehicle > 11'4" or wider than 7' 10" has to go thru the center of the tunnels because of clearance issues. Thus the road is shut down for one way traffic every once in a while. Large RV, and Tour buses are the cause of this, as well as the occasional supply truck. We have had delays up to 30 minutes because of this...so plan your time to allow.

Have Fun--the "Ghosts" is a great place to begin the history! The more one reads the better appreciation for those who have gone before us!
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually found the Bullfrog end of the lake more scenic. Probably because I enjoy canyons more than I enjoy the flatter stuff. lol. Colby
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked through the photo albums for past Lake Powell trips and see a few things that I have questions about.

1) Fishing. I assume that I get a Utah fishing license and go north. What's the simplest gear for success? I'm not looking for trophies. I'm looking for dinner. Are there restrictions for cleaning fish on the water? No crabs to eat the entrails, but does anybody know if there are crawdads? I'm starting to sound like a survivalist, but hey, it's a CD 16.

2) Shade. Some of the beach pictures showed people under simple shade tarps. Lots of guy wires to avoid in a crowded situation, but that looks like the simplest gear to stow. Any glowing reviews for a particular system?

3) WAG bag. Probably not everyone is familiar with these and I'll just cut to the chase. I know that there are stations on the lake for dumping porta-potties (semi-liquid waste), but do these stations have the ability to accept WAG bags that have solidified waste ala Poo Powder? The Glen Canyon NPS site says that WAG bags can be put in any dumpster, but are there garbage dumpsters at the outlying stations?

Mark
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
I've looked through the photo albums for past Lake Powell trips and see a few things that I have questions about.

1) Fishing. I assume that I get a Utah fishing license and go north. What's the simplest gear for success? I'm not looking for trophies. I'm looking for dinner. Are there restrictions for cleaning fish on the water? No crabs to eat the entrails, but does anybody know if there are crawdads? I'm starting to sound like a survivalist, but hey, it's a CD 16.

2) Shade. Some of the beach pictures showed people under simple shade tarps. Lots of guy wires to avoid in a crowded situation, but that looks like the simplest gear to stow. Any glowing reviews for a particular system?

3) WAG bag. Probably not everyone is familiar with these and I'll just cut to the chase. I know that there are stations on the lake for dumping porta-potties (semi-liquid waste), but do these stations have the ability to accept WAG bags that have solidified waste ala Poo Powder? The Glen Canyon NPS site says that WAG bags can be put in any dumpster, but are there garbage dumpsters at the outlying stations?

Mark

A spinning or casting rod with some top water lures and spoons work nicely for stripers and other bass species. Rubber worms/craw dads work too. Buy your license online.

A tarp like the Kelty Noah works nicely. Get some telescoping poles, line and a bunch of stakes that hold in sand.

You'll need to take your wag bags to the marinas where there is garbage collection. The floating dump stations don't have any garbage receptacles that I remember. You will probably be at a marina every three or four days. Oh, the dump stations do have toilets.

Hope that helps.

thataway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Wandering Sagebrush. Of course he has gotten Marie up at 5 AM to go fishing...

We like to get our licenses (For Utah--since the vast majority of the lake is in Utah.)-- At Mike's Liquor in Page. Easy to get, he has a great lure selections and knows what is good. Also has most of the publications.

Sometimes the bass are better with plastics, and other with shinny lures.

If you find "boils" of bait fish, work those. Most of the canyons have some some structure,and working around these helps.

We have not had as good luck trolling as some--But work along the steep drop off banks in the shade with trolling or casting. Look at DS to see how deep the fish are.

Read "Wayne's World" on Lake Powell for the latest.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana and I won't be attending this year, but someone should ask Mike or Bill for an event signup.

Diana may not be doing much for a couple of months... Jury duty Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: