The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda 150 Trim Gauge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nmitch2859

City/Region: virginiabeach
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Delfin
Photos: Delfin
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Honda 150 Trim Gauge Reply with quote

I have a Honda 150 on a 25ft Cruiser. The trim gauge does not work. I did replace the helm gauge. Still not working. I traced it to the part on the motor. Has any one had any problems with it. And how hard is it to change out. Thanks Neal
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak to the Honda 150 or answer your specific question, but do empathize as I've not have not had good luck with trim gauges in general - A 2003 Honda, 2006 Evinrude, and 2014 Tohatsu, all purchased new, and all with trim gauges that worked marginally within the first year or two, due to the little plastic indicator tab that gets stuck or out of alignment in the trim/tilt mechanism.

The best "trim gauge" for me is to look back and see how far the outboard moves when pushing the button one way or the other, while watching your RPMs, GPS speed and boat handling characteristics (i.e. no porpoising). Even when it works I typically ignore the trim gauge. Take it out and put in a volt meter or fuel gauge instead! (haha, just kidding, those are others I never seem to find much faith in).

-Mike
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a rotary resistor. Journey On's is always quitting. I just bump it and hose it down.

Should be easy to replace, but try above first.

Boris
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to replace that part on the Port engine. It's not too hard. Small hands are helpful.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: trim sender Reply with quote

Neal,
Since you've found the trim sensor on the motor, you'll see it's a lever-actuated resistor like Boris noted. If you have a 'full up' or 'full down' indication, or in between if the mount has slipped, rather than a blank gauge, dried salt and sea crud gum them up. At this point you have nothing to lose by prying at the sensor lever with a screwdriver and 'working' the lever up and down after removing it's mount and spraying it with Boeshield or your fav water-displacing lube. Mine both got stuck in 2014 and both are still working great.
If you have a blank new gauge, the sensor wires are the most likely culprits and replacement will fix. They all have a 1 year warranty because they all tend to last 365.01 days before failure, agree with Mike there and that it can all be done by 'feel' if that's your style. As my pilot buds like to say, 'To Hell with the Force, Luke...believe your instruments!"
Good luck,
John

nmitch2859

City/Region: virginiabeach
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Delfin
Photos: Delfin
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You for the responses, I will just replace the trim sensor. I had already tried everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: