The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Engine (HP) choices for 19 Angler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rabidfish
Dealer

City/Region: Noblesville, Indiana
State or Province: IN
Vessel Name: Les Poisson Enrage'
Photos: Rabidfish
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Engine (HP) choices for 19 Angler Reply with quote

This is a "horsepower" discussion and not a "brand name" question...

It's recommended (According to the C-Dory site) that the 19 Angler and the 22 uses 70hp. If this is optimum for the 22 then is a smaller engine optimum for the 19? Or does it run best with the 70HP also?

Or... Is the consensus that the boats should be rigged with MAX HP available? Lets have some thoughts on that.

Does anyone feel like they are underpowered?
If so, what engine, and on what boat?

Bearbait

City/Region: North Pole
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that the factory recomendations are for the most fuel efficient, therefore minimum, HP that will get the job done. Since light and fuel efficient is a major feature of the c-dory's, that makes sense. It just depends on what you'll be using it for, with the 19' you'll probably not be using it for long range cruising so more motor may be more pleasurable for day trips. I've got a 90hp on a 22' and it seems to be the proper hp for me, but my trips are usually between 100-150 miles without refueling so more fuel efficiency would be nice but you can't have it all.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my $0.02. Since the 19 is (approx.) three feet shorter than the 22, I would think 75 hp would be about ideal. I like 90 on the 22, although the 75's are adequate, and both are usually the same block and overall engine, de-tuned a bit. I like having the extra hp when necessary for heavier loads on the 22.

You may recall that the factory added trim tabs as standard equipment when the 19 proved to be prone to porpoising. Apparently the 3 feet removed from the basic design of the 22 ft hull makes for a shorter, less naturally stable hull. For this reason I would think it would be necessary to avoid engines or engine combinations that were really heavy, as the extra stern weight would accentuate this problem. A 300-375 lb main single motor would be fine, but then some will want to add a kicker. Probably we would want to stay away from a 416 lb main engine, if possible.

For a single engine and no kicker, I'd stick with a typical 75 hp four stroke at about 360-380 lbs. If you're going to add a kicker, I'd look for some way to save some weight on the main engine.

The e-tech would offer nearly two stroke weight with the equivalent of four stroke efficiency at 330 lbs or so. My guess is that this is the best main / kicker combo for this boat from a weight consideration perspective.

When I think back about our fairly recent discussion of the Suzuki 70 hp low displacement (1200 cc) four stroke engine on a 22, the general consensus might indicate this engine is a little weak from lack of displacement generated torque if you're ever going to carry more than two passengers or are going to add a lot of gear.

Bill / Da Nerd had a CD-19 with a Honda 75 or 90 and a kicker, I believe. We'll have to hear what his perspective is on all of this. Robbi has a 19 as well. I know she was thinking of adding an electric trolling motor, but I'm not sure if the electric was desired for lower speeds or to save weight on the two motor combination. We'll hope to hear from her, as well as others, too. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my $0.02. Since the 19 is (approx.) three feet shorter than the 22, I would think 75 hp would be about ideal. I like 90 on the 22, although the 75's are adequate, and both are usually the same block and overall engine, de-tuned a bit. I like having the extra hp when necessary for heavier loads on the 22.

You may recall that the factory added trim tabs as standard equipment when the 19 proved to be prone to porpoising. Apparently the 3 feet removed from the basic design of the 22 ft hull makes for a shorter, less naturally stable hull. For this reason I would think it would be necessary to avoid engines or engine combinations that were really heavy, as the extra stern weight would accentuate this problem. A 300-375 lb main single motor would be fine, but then some will want to add a kicker. Probably we would want to stay away from a 416 lb main engine, if possible.

For a single engine and no kicker, I'd stick with a typical 75 hp four stroke at about 360-380 lbs. If you're going to add a kicker, I'd look for some way to save some weight on the main engine.

The e-tech would offer nearly two stroke weight with the equivalent of four stroke efficiency at 330 lbs or so. My guess is that this is the best main / kicker combo for this boat from a weight consideration perspective.

When I think back about our fairly recent discussion of the Suzuki 70 hp low displacement (1200 cc) four stroke engine on a 22, the general consensus might indicate this engine is a little weak from lack of displacement generated torque if you're ever going to carry more than two passengers or are going to add a lot of gear.

Bill / Da Nerd had a CD-19 with a Honda 75 or 90 and a kicker, I believe. We'll have to hear what his perspective is on all of this. Robbi has a 19 as well. I know she was thinking of adding an electric trolling motor, but I'm not sure if the electric was desired for lower speeds or to save weight on the two motor combination. We'll hope to hear from her, as well as others, too. Joe.
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there are many variables that would play into which hp choice a buyer might consider. I just looked through the C-Brats that have 19's and found boats powered with 50's up to 90's and one that has twin 50's. Now, there is some hp range! I have a 90 and am very pleased with the way the boat performs. I do have trim tabs and wouldn't be without them with this engine. I get about 5.5 mpg most of the time. I have taken a number of long trips (200-250) miles and I don't have to refuel very often. I enjoy traveling in the 3000 to 4000 rpm range, but I sometimes like to creep along exploring areas at "Brock Speed" Very Happy and sometimes I like to push it to 34-35 mph for short distances. The motor trolls down for fishing and I can get from one fishing spot to another in a hurry. I would think that any motor between a 70 and a 90 would be a good choice depending again on personal preferences and how the boat was going to be used. Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
C-Fisher

City/Region: Lake Stevens
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Fisher
Photos: C-Fisher
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the 90hp on my 19ft. The boat does not seem to be over powered as I can go wot when conditions are right but I don't as things like wakes and debris can sneak up on ya fast. I think the 75hp would also work just fine but like the previous post mentioned it was the same engine just detuned. Also in the case of the E-Tec (sorry for the brand) they do not yet make a 75hp salt water addition.

If you can find a 70 or 75hp motor that weighs less then the 90's then ya go for it since it opens up more options for kickers and I think it would push the 19 hull just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: