HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

North Vancouver Island Launch Sites

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Bella

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Irene
Photos: Bucket List
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: North Vancouver Island Launch Sites Reply with quote

We recently took IRENE to Port McNeill via trailer for 2 weeks of cruising. Below is a brief synopsis of launch facilities in the area...perhaps answers to questions I had prior to going.

Port McNeill - very nice launching area as services are centrally located and easy to walk to. The boat ramp is in very good condition, as are the docks. We utilized North Island Marina for moorage and fuel, and they accept reservations. The staff at North Island Marina is exceptional and a very busy place. Port McNeill has a grocery store with fair prices, everything we needed, and it was actually impressive. We used Sellars Storage for our vehicle and trailer, which was a 10 minute walk from the docks. We had occasion to utilize the Port McNeill - North Vancouver Island Hospital, and they were very professional and efficient. I recommend the businesses mentioned above (no personal affiliation). It was nice to have everything all right there (ramp, marina, dinner, fuel) after a day of traveling. When we return by trailer, we will utilize Port McNeill again.

Telegraph Cove - nice folks and moorage. A couple of restaurants within walking distance. No grocery store. We did not use the ramp here but it looked fine. It's about 45 minutes by car from Port McNeill according to a resident. This would be a good second choice for us, but we needed diesel fuel upon arrival and it not to be had in Telegraph Cove.

Port Hardy - there is a ramp, fuel, and groceries available. Things are more spread out than Port McNeill. We did not use the ramp but it looked fine. There is more exposed moorage closer to downtown, but it is away from the fuel so we utilized the Quarterdeck. We did not visit the grocery store, but one is there.

2006 Skagit Orca 27XLC
2006 C Dory 22 Cruiser (re-homed)
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information!
We plan to cruise there in the next year or two. As time is an issue, will ferry from Vancouver to Nanaimo and then travel to North Vancouver Island for a jumping off spot.
Can't wait!

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used Pt. McNeil and love it. The marina is first class, the restaurants are great and it has all the services a cruiser might need.

The only caution is where you leave your truck/trailer combination. We left it in the public parking lot across from the launch ramp, fees paid, and went to the Broughtons for a week. The truck/trailer was towed and locked up when we came back. Seems the local auto parts store has it's own long term storage and they're not happy when you use the public lot. Our truck/trailer was their target and they expected to be paid of releasing it. Our recommendation is to check with them for long term storage, it will save you a lot of strain.

Got the truck/trailer back without paying by going through the marina office AND having the parking receipt on the truck dash. Luckily friends met us at Pt McNeil so we used their motorhome to drive where they had stored the truck. Quite a shocking experience. Just a reminder that local business expect to be paid by the tourists and get angry when they don't.

Boris
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grocery store in Port Hardy is great. Lots of fresh fruit, baked goods and bins of nuts and snacks. There are ATMs nearby that withdraw directly from your US account and give you Canadian dollars so you don't need to carry a ton of cash into the country.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on Ports McNeil and Hardy. Good stuff to know.

I use Telegraph Cove, the second side, Building 29, and have excellent service there, friendly and a good ramp and dock. For launching, no reservation required, plenty of good safety parking about 75 per month, so about 3 weeks pay for 4 weeks parking. The launch is 12 but they have a wash spot, and most importantly, the owners, Chuck and Lynn, have a 22 CDORY Cruiser, Sea Harmony. Super folks. If you call, be sure you are talking to the 29 Building staff.

It's a fun place to visit and one of the best whale museums I have been in is at the end of the boardwalk.

It's an easy 4 to 5 mile run across Johnstone to get into the islands, and typically the early mornings are best crossing conditions. Lately the mornings have been the lowest winds, and the clouds have been close to the deck.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
We have used Pt. McNeil and love it. The marina is first class, the restaurants are great and it has all the services a cruiser might need.

The only caution is where you leave your truck/trailer combination. We left it in the public parking lot across from the launch ramp, fees paid, and went to the Broughtons for a week. The truck/trailer was towed and locked up when we came back. Seems the local auto parts store has it's own long term storage and they're not happy when you use the public lot. Our truck/trailer was their target and they expected to be paid of releasing it. Our recommendation is to check with them for long term storage, it will save you a lot of strain.

Got the truck/trailer back without paying by going through the marina office AND having the parking receipt on the truck dash. Luckily friends met us at Pt McNeil so we used their motorhome to drive where they had stored the truck. Quite a shocking experience. Just a reminder that local business expect to be paid by the tourists and get angry when they don't.

Boris

First as a Canadian I feel that you should have been treated better than you describe here. Further though , I am confused. You say you parked in a "public" parking paid the fee and then got towed? Or--you paid the fees at the Marina then drove across the road and parked in a public "town" parking lot which had no connection to the Marina for the privilege of overnight parking. If that's the case you gambled on town bylaws being very friendly to travellers who stay in basic day parking for a week or so.

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a similar experience to Boris' We were parked in the Port Hardy/Bear Cove ferry terminal waiting to board. It was 2:00 AM and the ferry left the next morning at 8:00 Along comes someone in an official looking uniform, knocks on the camper door and tells us we cant overnight in the parking lot, but his brother has a nice RV Park a mile down the road where we can stay. We left alright, but went a few miles further and stayed at the local gun range parking lot. Not paying $30 for 5 hours when I think the story is BS.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Blueback

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
We had a similar experience to Boris' We were parked in the Port Hardy/Bear Cove ferry terminal waiting to board. It was 2:00 AM and the ferry left the next morning at 8:00 Along comes someone in an official looking uniform, knocks on the camper door and tells us we cant overnight in the parking lot, but his brother has a nice RV Park a mile down the road where we can stay. We left alright, but went a few miles further and stayed at the local gun range parking lot. Not paying $30 for 5 hours when I think the story is BS.

That Ferry Employee would be in trouble with his employer if you had followed that up as he was clearly in a conflict of interest. There are unfortunately some people who see a USA licence plate and a expensive rig (to them) as a mark to charge a little more. As a matter of fact I will contact the BC Ferry Corp. and ask them what there policy is for early parking lot arrivals having a nap for a few hours ahead of sailing time. Please don't accept the way you were treated as appropriate behavior -- I don't.
Blueback

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blueback wrote:
journey on wrote:

Boris

First as a Canadian I feel that you should have been treated better than you describe here. Further though , I am confused. You say you parked in a "public" parking paid the fee and then got towed? Or--you paid the fees at the Marina then drove across the road and parked in a public "town" parking lot which had no connection to the Marina for the privilege of overnight parking. If that's the case you gambled on town bylaws being very friendly to travellers who stay in basic "day parking" for a week or so.

It seems I offended you Boris and I had no intention to do so. I was only trying to clarify that, as you had a parking slip on the dash for the allotted time frame for the stay - why in the heck did they tow you? So my question was --were you in the lot for the Marina? Or a separate public lot that didn't honour your parking slip? I.E.--In Port Alberni you pay to launch and day park in their Marina. But some who may be going for a few days gamble on separate "free" street parking for their longer stay than one day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: