View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C-Dory is the first time I've used the 8-plait (Yale Brait in this case). I went with 1/2". Reason I chose it over good-old three strand is because it takes up about half the space in the locker (over same size three-strand), and the 22's locker is not exactly cavernous.

No complaints at all, although I had to learn a new splice (vs. three-strand). I would buy it again.

I now use the original three-strand anchor line for my secondary anchor, all of which I keep in a duffel bag for easy carting to wherever I want to use it (bow, stern, dinghy, etc.)
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New anchor gear was the first thing we upgraded. My boat came with a danforth, and the aforementioned 3 strand rode and it all sat in a milk crate on the bow that I hand lined in. I can't tell you how often I see this done and it is just the poorest planning ever. Even with a milk crate secured, one good wave over the bow, a thing these boats can take quite well, will almost certainly put you into a catastrophic situation.

We got a windlass largely because we didn't feel safe with the rode on the bow, and after pulling some gear in some waves got a little wet and decided it wasn't great to be up there doing that all the time.

When we added the windlass and kept the same rode I found a few things that Ididn't like:

1. the rode had a "memory" and would have these little loops and kinks that caused it to fall off the gypsy.

2. The gypsy didn't grab the rode very well

3. The relatively short 200' rode took up my whole anchor locker, and I often was unable to hit the bottom when I was trying to fish in slightly deeper water.

The 8 plait flakes well into the locker, can have way more rode in there, and holds far better in the gypsy (although having my rode piled so high in my anchor locker does cause the rode to slip in the gypsy a bit more than I'd like.

When we were first considering the purchase of a new rode we hesitated on the price numerous times, but some online shopping and diligence we found some high quality gear at a good price that wasn't too far off of the better 3 strand rode in terms of price. Once shipping was factored in, the price was almost a wash, because the same amount of 3 strand shipped in a much larger box.

This ended up being a major upgrade, and one we take advantage of frequently. On those occasional days when our secluded anchorages might have another boat in it (we tend to have things to ourselves up here and like it that way!) we've been known to anchor up for a stay in a hundred feet of water or more. Plus, I can fish for halibut anywhere, I don't have to drift if it's over 130' deep, I can anchor up. Quite simply, this gear let's me do anything I want to, whereas previously I was quite limited in where I could anchor

Long answer, but there you go.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,
I've been happy with 8 plait/chain rodes from Defender. The chain is genuine galvanized MADE IN USA ACCO/Peerless. They won't say who sources the line, tho it feels very high quality.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|2078767|2226887|2226892&id=1849841

Lewmar rodes tend to cost twice as much, and though I've had a few, I don't think it was worth it. Eventually, we get some nasty thunderstorm or chafe on some bottom debris or age that causes a weak spot and replace it. That can happen to the most expensive line as well as the cheapest. We seldom deploy more than 120 ft of Hi Test chain. But then, we like to anchor in thigh deep 82 degree gin clear water 15 feet from a snow white soft sand beach.
If anyone has a better quality to price compromise they recommend, sing out.
Happy Boating!
John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 8 plait from Defender was New England rope--came on the spool.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from seco south, and found their listings on ebay to be easier to navigate than their website, but the same info. Their quick ship rodes are cheaper than defender, but as far as I can tell, the same line. They use acco or g4 high test chain, and their splices, swivels, etc are all good quality and hold up well to repeated and frequent use. I haven't had any abrasion issues with mine and use it alot in some pretty diverse bottom types.

My 600' rode was around $400. I think it's a bit more now.
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the windlass.....especially if you're over 50.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: